Not open for further replies.

lleeoo2010

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm new here and after scouring the forums, I'm still stumped as to which Slot 1 card I should get for my new ds lite.

I'm looking for the basics:

1. cheap price
2. only looking for a card that will play games, I'm not interested in anything else
3. was originally looking at an R4 but then found out, that it's a dead product.
4. easy to use

Thanks in advance for the help
yaynds.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DSTT

REALLY cheap! About $10 buck you just need the MicroSD card
smile.gif

But the slew of fake is bad, I haven't heard of any Acekard 2 fakes yet, and its only $14 for now.
smile.gif

DSTT
Acekard 2
2GB MicroSD-NOTE: At Newegg.com you can find an 8GB Sandisk for about $50, but it depends on what you want. 4GB and over is SDHC(High Capacity) and you must check that your card supports it.

Deal Extreme is trustable, except for fakes, they may not figure out if you have a fake unless you complain.

And here's the reviews for the two card I mentioned(by GBATemp Staff)

DSTT
Acekard 2

8GB @ Newegg

Damn you PV you beat me
tongue.gif

lleeoo2010

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thanks for the quick replies, This has definitely helped me out.

I have one other question:

How do you know if a cart is fake?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2 has a much better menu than the DSTT. It costs a few dollars more, but it's probably worth it for most users.

Also, there are no fake Acekard 2's.

-Bri

lleeoo2010

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, and yes I was referring to DSTT. Just need to research some more and I'll be on my way to deciding which one is best for me.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At one time the DSTT had a high failure rate (contact problems). But the reports of those kinds of problems have slowed down, so it's not likely that you'd get a faulty one. However, the DSTT's menu isn't particularly good and still doesn't do some of the basic things that nearly all other flash carts do, such as sort ROMs and navigate folders.

Also, there are apparently several fake DSTT's being sold at some stores, and the DSTT team has threatened to introduce a "fake killer" firmware that will destroy any fakes and possibly your microSD card as well. It's unclear whether or not they'll carry through with their threat. At any rate, the DSTTs on dealextreme.com seem to be legitimate.

-Bri

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
2. only looking for a card that will play games, I'm not interested in anything else
It's what I looked for initially. But I'm glad I still picked Supercard DS One finally.
Some of the features are so useful that I underestimate their uses when I first bought it.
I don't realise I can use those features in such a useful way. Now I can't afford missing them.

Read my review to find out if you need those features or not (for gaming):
My Supercard DS One Review

QUOTE1. cheap price
Well some competitors know they can't compete with some of the best cards so they drop price to ensure the competitiveness. DSTT and Acekard2 is in the same price range recently. You should go for Acekard2. It is clearly better. However some complain Acekard2 card is prone to breaking (the material isn't strong enough) and the build quality is so-so. I don't know how valid it is. You need do some research to make sure it's not a problem now.

Supercard DS One is around US$25. It is more expensive but it's very feature-rich, in which some features can be very important/handy in gaming.

Well if I were you, I would buy a better card. The cost is one-off. You won't change cards often, would you? Why not spend a bit more (we are talking about US$10 only) which will give you much better gaming experiences? The money is well-spent.

PS: By the way, since Nintendo DS has many homebrew applications, you can use your Nintendo DS for non-gaming purposes. You can use it as a e-dictionary, or a PDA. Read e-books, listen to music, watch movies etc.
The money spent on Nintendo DS is well-spent since you can use it to satisfy multiple wants.
biggrin.gif

FaRReR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R4, although "dead"? is a great card. it works fine with YSMenu or R4custom, so get an R4... I've got an M3 Simply, which is a clone, and I've not had ANY problems with it.

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FaRReR said:
R4, although "dead"? is a great card. it works fine with YSMenu or R4custom, so get an R4... I've got an M3 Simply, which is a clone, and I've not had ANY problems with it.

The future of R4 is gloomy. It is currently unsupported.
It doesn't support SDHC. MicroSDHC is much faster than the old tech (MicroSD). Also it allows much larger capacity.
It doesn't have premium features that some of the best cards have.
It isn't cheap either.

No point getting an okay product with a not-okay price.

lleeoo2010

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say thanks to the community for giving advice on what cart to buy, I just got my Acekard 2 yesterday, and it works just the way I wanted it to.

Thanks guys!
yaynds.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: