Recommended Slot 1 card for a newbie

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lleeoo2010, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2008
  1. lleeoo2010
    OP

Newcomer lleeoo2010 Newbie

United States
    Hey, I'm new here and after scouring the forums, I'm still stumped as to which Slot 1 card I should get for my new ds lite.

I'm looking for the basics:

1. cheap price
    2. only looking for a card that will play games, I'm not interested in anything else
    3. was originally looking at an R4 but then found out, that it's a dead product.
    4. easy to use

Thanks in advance for the help [​IMG]

2. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The DSTT

REALLY cheap! About $10 buck you just need the MicroSD card [​IMG]
    But the slew of fake is bad, I haven't heard of any Acekard 2 fakes yet, and its only $14 for now. [​IMG]

DSTT
    Acekard 2
    2GB MicroSD-NOTE: At Newegg.com you can find an 8GB Sandisk for about $50, but it depends on what you want. 4GB and over is SDHC(High Capacity) and you must check that your card supports it.

Deal Extreme is trustable, except for fakes, they may not figure out if you have a fake unless you complain.

And here's the reviews for the two card I mentioned(by GBATemp Staff)

DSTT
    Acekard 2

8GB @ Newegg

Damn you PV you beat me [​IMG]

3. lleeoo2010
    OP

United States
    Cool, thanks for the quick replies, This has definitely helped me out.

I have one other question:

How do you know if a cart is fake?

4. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The Acekard 2 has a much better menu than the DSTT. It costs a few dollars more, but it's probably worth it for most users.

Also, there are no fake Acekard 2's.

-Bri

5. lleeoo2010
    OP

United States
    Thanks, and yes I was referring to DSTT. Just need to research some more and I'll be on my way to deciding which one is best for me.

6. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    acekard 2 or EDGE.

dstt is cheaper, but seems to have a higher failure rate

7. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    At one time the DSTT had a high failure rate (contact problems). But the reports of those kinds of problems have slowed down, so it's not likely that you'd get a faulty one. However, the DSTT's menu isn't particularly good and still doesn't do some of the basic things that nearly all other flash carts do, such as sort ROMs and navigate folders.

Also, there are apparently several fake DSTT's being sold at some stores, and the DSTT team has threatened to introduce a "fake killer" firmware that will destroy any fakes and possibly your microSD card as well. It's unclear whether or not they'll carry through with their threat. At any rate, the DSTTs on dealextreme.com seem to be legitimate.

-Bri

8. Bootsum

Newcomer Bootsum Member

United States
    Well some competitors know they can't compete with some of the best cards so they drop price to ensure the competitiveness. DSTT and Acekard2 is in the same price range recently. You should go for Acekard2. It is clearly better. However some complain Acekard2 card is prone to breaking (the material isn't strong enough) and the build quality is so-so. I don't know how valid it is. You need do some research to make sure it's not a problem now.

Supercard DS One is around US$25. It is more expensive but it's very feature-rich, in which some features can be very important/handy in gaming.

Well if I were you, I would buy a better card. The cost is one-off. You won't change cards often, would you? Why not spend a bit more (we are talking about US$10 only) which will give you much better gaming experiences? The money is well-spent.

PS: By the way, since Nintendo DS has many homebrew applications, you can use your Nintendo DS for non-gaming purposes. You can use it as a e-dictionary, or a PDA. Read e-books, listen to music, watch movies etc.
    The money spent on Nintendo DS is well-spent since you can use it to satisfy multiple wants. [​IMG]

9. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    R4, although "dead"? is a great card. it works fine with YSMenu or R4custom, so get an R4... I've got an M3 Simply, which is a clone, and I've not had ANY problems with it.

10. Bootsum

Newcomer Bootsum Member

United States
    The future of R4 is gloomy. It is currently unsupported.
    It doesn't support SDHC. MicroSDHC is much faster than the old tech (MicroSD). Also it allows much larger capacity.
    It doesn't have premium features that some of the best cards have.
    It isn't cheap either.

No point getting an okay product with a not-okay price.

11. lleeoo2010
    OP

United States
    Just wanted to say thanks to the community for giving advice on what cart to buy, I just got my Acekard 2 yesterday, and it works just the way I wanted it to.

Thanks guys! [​IMG]

12. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    You're welcome, people here are very helpful, and if you have any questions, just ask..

Topic closed as it served its purpose!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.