Misc Recommend a good dongle to play DS online?

darigaaz3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I have wireless access in my hostel, trouble is I need to log into the web and type in my username and password in order to truly log onto the internet.

Since the DS obviously can't do that, that means I have to resort to buying either a wireless router (exp) or getting one of those dongle I been hearing about.

Can anyone recommend what dongle they are using or any other method to connect to the net using my DS? I want to play Days of Ruin online :/

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Your two choices are buying the Nintendo USB wireless adaptor, or purchasing a router/wireless access point. You could also attempt to scan for other wireless access points in your area, keeping in mind that the NDS has a 30 foot range. So one side of your building might have a signal that the other doesn't, as far as the NDS is concerned. I have read many mixed reviews about the Nintendo USB wireless adaptor. The best results have been hacking the firmware and upgrading with homebrew firmware so that the device functions more like a router. I am not all that familiar with it, I only know that a few Google searches should help you out.

I personally would recommend adding a router to the mix with wireless access, but if your Internet access is a building wide feature the administrator might not allow you to add your own device and run a lower security protocal. The NDS requires WEP encryption, which is not nearly as secure as WPA with a longin and password.

-AW

darigaaz3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks for the reply AW.

I found a few solution regarding the Nintendo USB adaptor. Found http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3345 and was wondering if other people have different opinion on which USB adaptor to get. If there aren't probably go for this as it seems reasonable enough and is half the price of the Nintendo USB adaptor.

Edit: Also found http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5858

Now I have difficulty in choosing which. The reviews both seems to be good, eaning more to the second one now. Anyone have difficulty with their usb dongle before?

darigaaz3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Got my usb wifi 3 days ago. Finally got it to work yesterday and its been working fine.

The one I got from deal extreme is http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5858

Took me a while searching the internet to get it to work. The trouble for me is that I am connected to the net wirelessly and have to log in to the server through the internet explorer. When my wifi usb try to share the connection, my computer is logged off and the nintendo ds can't play as it needs to log into the server through the internet explorer.

Once I configured the IP and DNS of my com and my nintendo ds, it finally works! DS can now log onto the net without forcing my com to log off.
Shouldn't be any problem for those using broadband cables.

PS: If you are using Vista, you will need to download the driver for it. Look around the net.

IN case anyone is having the same problem, the steps below which I found on the net helped. Unsure who the author is, but I take no credit for this.

Be sure the type of internet connection before installing. If your computer directly connects internet by Modem/ISDN/ADSL, please make the settings according to Part One. If your computer connects internet through LAN, please refer to Part Two.

Part One

1.Hardware Connection:
Please don’t connect the USB adapter to your computer before its driver is installed. The driver is in the CD that comes with the product, after the installation is complete, you can plug the adapter into your computer.

2.Computer settings:
1) Open “My Network Places”---click on “View Network Connections”---- Click on “Broadband” with rightkey of your mouse----Choose “Properties”----In the option of “Advanced”, set Internet Connection Share available to other network users.

2) Double click on the icon of Wireless LAN on the right undercorner.

3) Choose “Access Point” in the mode. (If it isn’t avaialble, continue next step.)

4) Open “My Network Places”---click on “View Network Connections”---- Click on “Wireless Network” with rightkey of your mouse----Choose “Properties”.

Choose “Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)”, Press the button of Properties. Manually specify IP address: 192.168.0.1, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0. Press OK to save the settings.

5) Disable the firewall of your computer.

6) Click on Start---Run---input “CMD” in new window---input “ipconfig/all”, press Enter. Please find the DNS Servers address from screen and record it.

7) Pull out the USB adapter and re-plug it in.

3.NDS Settings

1) Play a game which must support WIFI connection, just like that in the below picture.

2) Choose “NINTENDO WFC”, then choose “NINTENDO WFC SETTINGS”, you can make WIFI connection settings.

3) Click on “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings” on the left side.

4) Select anyone in above three connections.

5) Choose “Search for an Access Point”.

6) Search will begin automatically, e.g. the below photo, a wireless connection has been found. Press A button or choose “OK” to continue to test.

7) Whether the test is successful or not, click on “Ready” to make settings manually.

8) Please refer to the below photo, disable Auto-obtain IP Address and Auto-obtain DNS.
IP Address: 192.168.0.5(The last number may be any in 2-254, but it must be unique.)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1(Wireless Network IP address)
Primary DNS: input DNS Server address you recorded
Secondary DNS: optional

9)Choose “Test Connection” to test the setting. If pass, save setting to exit.

10)Back to NINTENDO WFC, choose “NINTENDO WFC MATCH” to play game through WIFI. ( You can make the setting once, other games will use same settings if successful. No need to do that again.)

Part Two

If your computer connects internet through LAN, you need to pay attention to the points below.

The differences from Part One:
Computer Settings:
1. The first step is setting share of LAN(Local Area Connection) available, not Broadband.

2. On the third step, if 192.168.0.1 is used by other computer, please change the IP address of either the computer or the USB adapter. If it is used by yourself computer, please choose “Obtain an IP address automatically”.

3. On the sixth step, please use DNS address of LAN.

Other settings are as same as Part One.

darigaaz3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Oh shouldn't have that problem at all. The DS is connected to my computer, not to their network. So to the admins, it would just look like usual.

Anyway, its just that I have metered bandwith, currently living in Aus. So thats why I need the wifi usb dongle to allow both my com and my ds to get online. Dumb DS can't log into internet explorer to allow me to log into the network.

Currently enjoying my wi fi games. Is it just me or is there very little people online for Advance Wars DOR and Tetris? Its like Aus doesn't have enough people online to play with.

darigaaz3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Oh yes, for those that have the same dongle and can't play tetris online, the problem is just setting the device from Open Network to Shared Key in the EDUP control for an active point. I have no idea why that works but it just does.

Tested the connection and it can go quite far, even through 2 floors. Quite good, only cons is that it tends to heat up.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My college does something similar. I haven't tried it more than once, what I did was log in using the web browser, then I reset really quick and load up the game I want to use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-