Recent Hacking of Real Hot Stuff

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrcloudy
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 16,576
  • Replies Replies 59
Update: In addition to the $1 by ATT, $300 had been taken by
"WWW.DATACASH.COM INTERNET GBR"​



Called my credit card company and had it resolved. Got a new card as well.
 
I got hit.

Bank caught it right away though. Someone did a $1 AT&T charge, and then a $5 iTunes charge....likely to test if my card was active. My bank doesn't mess around though, they shut it down over the random $1 AT&T charge.

F RHS. Learn to secure your site losers.

Thought they were bigtime enough not to worry about this shit...
Wow that's unfortunate! When did you order? Can't believe they said their site is secure if people are still getting hit.
I got hit.

Bank caught it right away though. Someone did a $1 AT&T charge, and then a $5 iTunes charge....likely to test if my card was active. My bank doesn't mess around though, they shut it down over the random $1 AT&T charge.

F RHS. Learn to secure your site losers.

Thought they were bigtime enough not to worry about this shit...

When did you place this order?

Sorry for the late reply...I bought from RHS middle of Jan...

I was just late in reporting it here.

Turns out it was one $1 AT&T charge, and four $1 iTunes charges. My bank caught it right away.

Of course they disabled my card(which is a good thing), but still annoying when you are at the gas station trying to fill up your car. :P
 
I can't believe this happened -_-

When did you get hit etrigan? Or should I ask, when did you notice?
 
most big flash kit sites that had paypal no longer do. paypal has been stopping the sale of flash kits with the help of nintendo. i read some interesting e-mails from a few resellers who got shut down on paypal. this is why they have switched to credit cards or other methods to receive electronic payments.

-another world
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Has anyone else used RHS since after the hacking? Is it okay now to order from them without having to worry about payment information or fraudulent charges?
 
My guess is that the hackers inserted hooks into the payment form that captured the credit card information as it was entered but before it was encrypted and sent out. Remember, all online stores will store your credit card information as storing it in RAM is still storing it.
 
Another reason they're all starting to be harder to buy from - the new IRS rules for nonresident citizens.
 
You essentially can't deal with US customers without either paying a fortune to the IRS or having the customers paying a similar sum to an accountant to keep track of all the new reporting requirements.
 
This whole situation is unfortunate, I've dealt with RHS since 2006 or 2007, I can't remember, whenever CycloDS hit the market. They were always fast, I dealt with them for other items, GBA items, other flashcards. I eventually got a Acekard 2i for my 3DS from their .hk site for the first time. Everything was great, the american site was fast. The .hk site was slow but cheaper. Never a problem. All this happened months before the hacking. But anyone can get hacked. I think some people on here have to realize the truth of the situation. No matter how respected RHS was. They were still a little tiny company on the fringe of being a legal website. I mean their website is just a template, I've seen many websites use the same style. What makes people think they are a big giant company? Most of these flashcard sellers/modders are 1-5 people tops. Their website security is nothing more then the security based on the host's template their using, whatever security the host uses. Its a shame to see people say "no spell check, no buy" because of a few mistakes here and there from an obvious foreigner (Hong Kong). I'm American and I make spelling mistakes all the time, it's called rushing and not being an english major. Anyway, sucks for them but it happens. Fact is, sites get hacked, good people go bad, etc. It happens all the time in the smaller, underground black market.

So my question is, where is the reliable places for flashcard sites, USA preferred. Because up until I found out about this whole situation, if I needed a flashcard, my first thought was, realhotstuff, because they never let me down and at the time, they felt safe. So now I need a replacement. I see a bunch of places but I don't know what's safe.
 
I ordered form RHS a couple weeks ago, my package arrived and had a problem with contacts (NOT Acekard 2i), I contacted them to ask for help and they said they could replace it if I place an order for a ticket. I can't do that now because It's down D:
 
Always use Paypal
Paypal won't let you use it to buy modchips, flashcarts ect, I learned that on my quest for a wiikey fusion
It really depends on the shop, if paypal knows what you're getting they may interfere, but so far, I've bought my SCDSOne SDHC, SCDSTwo, AK2i and most recently an EZ-Flash IV with Paypal. and None of the payments have been blocked by paypal or anything.
 
Yeah I was only able to pay with paypal by contacting tech spport, they were really cool about it
 
When I first read this post, I was pretty worried. Then I noticed that it was pretty old, so if anything was going to happen to my credit card, it already would have. Should this thread be locked? The discussion doesn't seem relevant anymore.
 
Just get a prepaid credit card from Walmart. You can just load the amount you need, and you'll never have to worry about weird charges from shady companies.

I just used a pre-paid Visa I got for Christmas, and the order went through just fine.
 

Site & Scene News