really screwed up a system transfer, need to completely reset 3ds and SD to stock, so i can hack from scratch. please help!

breadscrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i tried to system transfer from a hacked source system to a stock target system, and on startup, everything non-legit was gone. from there went to hack target system, but couldn’t make it happen with seedminer. so i formatted the 3ds in an attempt to just start from scratch.

problem is now i have my 128gb sd card full of all the non-legit stuff on it, and i’m not sure what to do. i want to start from scratch. will anything happen if i just wipe it totally clean and reformat as fat32? isn’t it sort of attached to the 3ds in some way?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i tried to system transfer from a hacked source system to a stock target system, and on startup, everything non-legit was gone. from there went to hack target system, but couldn’t make it happen with seedminer. so i formatted the 3ds in an attempt to just start from scratch.

problem is now i have my 128gb sd card full of all the non-legit stuff on it, and i’m not sure what to do. i want to start from scratch. will anything happen if i just wipe it totally clean and reformat as fat32? isn’t it sort of attached to the 3ds in some way?
All the format did was get rid of most of your wanted data, a uninstall will only remove troubleshootings. Both of which is going to hinder you from getting things back up and running. Its not exactly science that all non legit items will not show up on the stock system. What were you expecting? You need to get the stock system hacked with cfw if you planned on using the non legit items. https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started is where you are going to start with getting these things back.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We have a nice tutorial about that topic:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...-without-losing-non-legitimate-titles.531950/
Doing this ↑↑↑ should lead to zero data loss.

I have to say I'm tired of repeating this all over and over, again and again:
"Go back to stock and start from scratch!" is the absolute worst thing to do on 3DS (and other consoles). The 3DS is not an Android phone where you can (and maybe must) reinstall the stock ROM after messing up with custom ROMs (which destroys user data nevertheless). The only thing modified on the 3DS is the bootloader. It gets replaced by B9S which loads Luma3DS (the CFW) on each boot. The CFW disables all the restrictions and adds a lot of new features – but that's it. The actual operating system on NAND doesn't get touched in the process and everything works just like on stock systems. Some limitations stay in place – like the unique encryption of SD content.

"Format System Memory" is destructive. By definition. It gives two or three warnings before starting the formatting so nobody says: "I accidentally formatted my 3DS and now my data is gone!" (still that phrase is omnipresent).
============

If you formatted the target system after System Transfer you should be able to link your NNID (if any) again on the target system and redownload your purchased content. Since formatting the console changes the encryption key the old SD content (I think it gets deleted if it is inside the console while formatting) is worthless even if backed up (the formatting option contains an explanation what it is about to do before it actually does the destructive work).
Theoretically there might be possibilities to restore the previous KeyY depending on what you backed up before. Might be possible to extract previous saves with old movable.sed.

Now that the damage is done you can of course start "fresh" on the target console, use Seedminer, install B9S and all your games not purchased on eShop (like dumped cartridges). For the source console this part of the guide is needed:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1