wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
What i listen to at the moment is electro, progressive house and sometimes dubstep.

I'm pretty sure this'll change soon as i don't stick with the same kinda music for a long time.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm more into musicians with a higher level of technical and musical ability vis a viz 4 chords 3 minutes music.

I want my musicians to be actually writing and playing their music, and doing that with some level of higher ability, I think music is a form of expression and simple music is good, but if you really love your work you would try to improve your technical skills, your musical theory, and try to explore new horizons.

I guess my criteria for "good" music is technical ability, more complex songwriting and experimentation.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
It's really fun how this thread has yet to devolve into a competition over genres yet. Then I remember that only happens in music forums, not gaming forums.

I actually went to a gig the other week that was like a trance/metal music mix and 2 guys were on stage, 1 on drums and the other just pressed buttons on a device and occasionally played like 5 notes on a piano. That is not what i pay to see when i go to a gig. as a musician i think that is whats wrong with music these days, everything is programmed and on CD's its alright but live you dont wanna see them just stand around and press play on what is most likely the actual CD recording.
While I accept that there will always be people who reject electronic-based music, I really can't help to point some things out here that seemed to get missed a whole lot:

For one, while samples are very common these days for electronic-based music, it's not always as simple as pressing play on a computer and letting it run. Since a live setting is inevitably under Murphy's Law, and the fact that layering and mash-ups are often done live, the artists needs to link multiple dynamics to mix and sync them accurately and quickly in a stressful environment. Tell me that's easy when you need to use a myriad of effects to achieve sound.

For another, it's wrong to dismiss turntablism, sampling, remixing, or even digital production since it's SO widespread and better than what the old days had to offer. Not to mention, sampling became very famous with Pink Floyd and was the precedent for house music (yes I'm serious.)

Lastly, it's widely acknowledged by many synth players that the point of synths are in its name: it's synthetic sounding! The point is not to use true sounds, but rather to color, mix and match sounds to ones liking. Similar to the use of organs in rock groups, it still needs a lot of precision and balance to find the correct sound. Each synth system and sound available to a synth works differently and needs to be handled differently depending on the song, just as if you were using an acoustic instrument. The output is the only real digital factor here.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"real music" and "good music" those choices of words should not even exist, since everyone have different taste of music.
For example I hate "rap" and that kind of music, I don't think it's music because it's like talking while having background music. Bur for some people that kind of music is "awesome sauce"

Why shouldn't those choices of words exist?
How would you describe music you dislike? or like?
You can respect other peoples opinions without pointlessly censoring yourself.

also Rap isn't music. Not 95% of it anyway. It's pretty much exactly what you said, talking. That's all. Talking about nothing while a repetitive "tune" plays in the background.
Some rap defies that, like oldschool Linkin Park where they had REAL background music combined with rapping, and singing. But most rap in general (ESPECIALLY these days) never ascends to actually becoming music.

Reactions: 1 person

adamshinoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At this time I have no idea what real music is, but I know what is not music. K-Pop.
What I ALWAYS listen from teenagers nowadays are about these shitty "Music makers". In Asia, especially in Vietnam, you'll always welcomed by a big bunch of dumbshit listening to K-Pop every night and day. Super Junior? Girls Generation? 2PM? Wonder Girls? and whatever the fuck they are, I can't stand them for even one second.
Seriously, how the hell this piece of shit get 32 mil views?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pA_Tou-DPI

"Oh how nice their clothers are, their shoes are, he's so manly, she's so pretty...." blah blah blah. Ok what about their VOICES, can you fucking stupid fans have some words about their VOICES?

Reactions: 3 people

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
At this time I have no idea what real music is, but I know what is not music. K-Pop.
What I ALWAYS listen from teenagers nowadays are about these shitty "Music makers". In Asia, especially in Vietnam, you'll always welcomed by a big bunch of dumbshit listening to K-Pop every night and day. Super Junior? Girls Generation? 2PM? Wonder Girls? and whatever the fuck they are, I can't stand them for even one second.
Seriously, how the hell this piece of shit get 32 mil views?
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6pA_Tou-DPI

"Oh how nice their clothers are, their shoes are, he's so manly, she's so pretty...." blah blah blah. Ok what about their VOICES, can you fucking stupid fans have some words about their VOICES?
For what it's worth, I think their vocals are pretty decent and Girl's Generation is a decent group for their genre. However, it's particularly difficult to judge their vocals individually seeing as they're an 9 piece ensemble. Which is, you know, the whole point. Also, why exactly would they listen to that music if all they cared about was the outfits? Then they could just watch the music videos. If they listen to it outside of the videos, that would mean they like the music too. Yet you can't blame them, if they like the music because of the girl's sparkly outfits, so be it, that's why the fucking like it. Sure, not all of it is good, but that's just like any genre. Not all rock is good either.

Besides, the spectrum of music as gone beyond the music itself. Live performances, music videos, these have all become integral parts of the industry. It's not all about the music itself, whether you like it or not. And most people like it; Queen would not have been what it is not if not for their incredible live performances or their dashing music videos. Michael Jackson wouldn't be as iconic if he had not done that performance on the reunion show of Motown that featured the moonwalk.

Reactions: 2 people

adamshinoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Other aspects I haven't mentioned yet are the lyrics are the melodies. Talking about Queen and MJ, they're maybe get their fames thanks to their performances on stages as you said, but if the didn't have great song with great, meaningful lyrics and great melodies, I think they wouldn't have "true" fans.
Let's have this song "The Boys" (I call it crap) for example. I've never get what the song talk about with repeated lines, meaningless sentences ("Girl Generations make you feel the heat"). Some English lines come out, then Korean, then Eng, it's so confusing and make my head hurts. If you can tell me the true meaning of this song, please do, thank you very much :D

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Other aspects I haven't mentioned yet are the lyrics are the melodies. Talking about Queen and MJ, they're maybe get their fames thanks to their performances on stages as you said, but if the didn't have great song with great, meaningful lyrics and great melodies, I think they wouldn't have "true" fans.

Let's have this song "The Boys" (I call it crap) for example. I've never get what the song talk about with repeated lines, meaningless sentences ("Girl Generations make you feel the heat"). Some English lines come out, then Korean, then Eng, it's so confusing and make my head hurts. If you can tell me the true meaning of this song, please do, thank you very much :D
My point still stands. I wasn't trying to imply live performances and music videos were the most important, I was saying they were still HEAVILY important. I'm not trying to deny that the music itself is more important.

I think the song should be obvious. It's about their own psyche as females and their domination and power; ergo, they are telling the girls to "bring the boys out" and see them. Simple. However, even without knowing the meaning of the song, what I do know is that it has an infectious tune, and is a strong dance beat. Sometimes, lyrical value does NOT have to make or break a song. If it did, then intstrumentals shouldn't even exist.

Reactions: 1 person

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
''I'm listening k-pop while writing this.''

If you ask me what real music is, then it differs to every person. I can't stand rap, hip-hop and all of that kind of shit. But somebody else says k-pop is dumb.

Look we can discuss whatever we like here and if it is music or not. But I hear MUSIC. So it must be music! Even playing random shit on an instrument is music. :P

I say this: the music you like is real music for you.

Reactions: 2 people

adamshinoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used to like Kpop, but it's Kpop from 2007 backward. Back then, we have talented Korean artists such as Se7en, HOT or JTL, Baby VOX. But from 2008 till now, Kpop is getting downfall.
I must admit sometimes I don't think Kpop should have so many haters like that, the problem sometimes is not the music itself, but the crazy fans, they'll do anything to protect their artists: "He/She is the ONE" and keep blabbering to you if you have some bad words about their idols " you stupid, he/she is perfect, nyah nyah nyah...."
It's so annoying as shit.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
anything that can spark some real emotion, including hate, is real music for me.

I only say this because i enjoy nearly all music out there. I'm not too fond of dubstep and Kpop though, but what the heck.
I do like hip-hop and rap, even though lots of rappers these days talk about big money and stuff, i don't mind. I love ill beats. ;D

Has anyone noticed that rappers start out humble then when they get big all they do is brag? :S

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"real music" and "good music" those choices of words should not even exist, since everyone have different taste of music.
For example I hate "rap" and that kind of music, I don't think it's music because it's like talking while having background music. Bur for some people that kind of music is "awesome sauce"

Why shouldn't those choices of words exist?
How would you describe music you dislike? or like?
You can respect other peoples opinions without pointlessly censoring yourself.

also Rap isn't music. Not 95% of it anyway. It's pretty much exactly what you said, talking. That's all. Talking about nothing while a repetitive "tune" plays in the background.
Some rap defies that, like oldschool Linkin Park where they had REAL background music combined with rapping, and singing. But most rap in general (ESPECIALLY these days) never ascends to actually becoming music.
Thats implying you've heard all of it.
Most beats these days aren't repetitive and I don't see how its talking it has rhythm and they normally have a vocal chorus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended