Reading Atari ST floppy disks under Windows 11?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Recently i found a box of old Atari ST games - all on 3,5" floppy disks.

I got myself an USB-3,5" floppy disk drive, and plugged it into my Win11 PC. The PC lists the drive as A: and can access it. But Win11 can't read the disks.

I don't want to rip or play the games, i only wanna see what files/folders are on the disks. Is there an (easy) way to achieve this?

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe an Atari ST emulator could read the disks?

I'm not super well versed with accessing floppy disks written with the Atari ST or anything else.
Other than C64 on which you need a cable to interface the 1541 with a PC.

If an emulator can't access the disks maybe its the same story of needing an ST floppy drive and a cable to hook it up to a PC?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the answer. I tried Hatari. But i couldn't figure out how to access a real A: floppy drive. If anyone could show me an ST Emulator who works under WIn11, and can access real drives, that would be great.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that using external drives limits the disk types to only those formatted to 320kb or 720kb capacity.
Installing ST-Recover should be the same process for either internal or external drives, but you may have to go into your disk management and remap the external device to show as either drive A or B.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Correct, if you care about anything that's not a standard PC 3.5" floppy (and often HD ones only) don't use an USB drive, the Mass Storage Class reduces everything to a SCSI-like LBA only device which is exactly what floppies and early HDDs aren't (never mind that despite this something still screws up the implementation, like certain flash drives on the Wii) and the extensions designed to give the bare minimum required CHS support that would be needed... are the bare minimum, which doesn't combine well with the fact the ST apparently deviates from the most common IBM formats

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users