Rather Discriminating Thing in School Today...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='AceWarhead']

Brown? The only time I can really remember hearing that used to describe someone's skin color come from GOB and Franklin.
Brown is the colour often used to describe the skin colour of people from India - they can't be "black" since they have no African roots, they're not yellow (Asian, fair play, but of different descent altogether) or red (that's sort of reserved for Native Americans) either, so people call them "brown" since it's as close as it gets to describe it. At least that's the rule applied in the parts of the U.K that I visited.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='AceWarhead']

Brown? The only time I can really remember hearing that used to describe someone's skin color come from GOB and Franklin.
Brown is the colour often used to describe the skin colour of people from India - they can't be "black" since they have no African roots, they're not yellow (Asian, fair play, but of different descent altogether) or red (that's sort of reserved for Native Americans) either, so people call them "brown" since it's as close as it gets to describe it. At least that's the rule applied in the parts of the U.K that I visited.

You know, now that you mention it, yeah, I have heard that before. Since people from India are just referred to as "Indians" (at least where I'm from), it isn't brought up much at all. It completely slipped my mind.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually agree with Foxi4, and also think they should just be called either African, Black, or just simply American... I usually never hear people call Asians that live in America, Asian-America. I come from a really diverse place "New York City", and to be quite honest every ethnic group just gets called what they are such as "asian, russian, spanish, etc". Although what I don't understand are the people who label them as a different race, such as the people from countries as Kosova when asked they say they are from Albania, but when its Kosovas birthday/independence day they wave the flag around in school. Same goes for the Jews from Uzbekistan in my school, everyone just classifies them as russians, because they talk in Russian, and they really accept it that they are Russian...

Oh and then theres the people that call Hispanics "spanish", Ukrainians "russian", and so on. And then there are the people who think I am from Israel because I am jewish, its like Israel is the only country that has/had Jews.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I actually agree with Foxi4, and also think they should just be called either African, Black, or just simply American... I usually never hear people call Asians that live in America, Asian-America. I come from a really diverse place "New York City", and to be quite honest every ethnic group just gets called what they are such as "asian, russian, spanish, etc". Although what I don't understand are the people who label them as a different race, such as the people from countries as Kosova when asked they say they are from Albania, but when its Kosovas birthday/independence day they wave the flag around in school. Same goes for the Jews from Uzbekistan in my school, everyone just classifies them as russians, because they talk in Russian, and they really accept it that they are Russian...

Oh and then theres the people that call Hispanics "spanish", Ukrainians "russian", and so on. And then there are the people who think I am from Israel because I am jewish, its like Israel is the only country that has/had Jews.
Jews are a whole different story, since it's not only considered a religion but also for some reason an ethnicity. For me there should be a clear division between ethnicity and nationality - we shouldn't call "Jews" just "Jews" - that's their religion. If any term could be appropriet then it's probably "Hebrew" or "of Hebrew descent".

If someone's nationality is American then he or she should be adressed as American - African-American and whatnot-American in my head sounds like "American, but not like us" and that's pure discrimination right there. :)

But as I said earlier - it's Foxi ramblings. We already derailed the thread lol, best if we cut it out now. :P

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jews are a whole different story, since it's not only considered a religion but also for some reason an ethnicity. For me there should be a clear division between ethnicity and nationality - we shouldn't call "Jews" just "Jews" - that's their religion. If any term could be appropriet then it's probably "Hebrew" or "of Hebrew descent".

If someone's nationality is American then he or she should be adressed as American - African-American and whatnot-American in my head sounds like "American, but not like us" and that's pure discrimination right there. :)

But as I said earlier - it's Foxi ramblings. We already derailed the thread lol, best if we cut it out now. :P
Well its still techinically a race, because all the Jews lived in Israel, and once were kicked out went to different parts of the world. Plus lots of these Jews were so faithful to there nationality and religion that they didn't mix with any other race. I know that tons of Jews married there cousins in Uzbekistan, because there just weren't that many Jews there.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well its still techinically a race, because all the Jews lived in Israel, and once were kicked out went to different parts of the world. Plus lots of these Jews were so faithful to there nationality and religion that they didn't mix with any other race. I know that tons of Jews married there cousins in Uzbekistan, because there just weren't that many Jews there.
I tend to look at the current situation rather then bother myself with the details of the past. Admittedly, Jews used to be a "race" since Judaism was a closed-down religion that was only shared by this particular nation. Nowadays with interracial marriages it's no longer a fact - someone could be a "Jew" but not of "Jewish" descent, causing confusion. :P

I do get your point though.

How about you pay attention in class instead of listening to music.
Really? I got an A in that class.
So, point is nullified.
Plus, this was work time on our homework
Further nullified.
You're not allowed to listen to music during class, claim nullified.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to look at the current situation rather then bother myself with the details of the past. Admittedly, Jews used to be a "race" since Judaism was a closed-down religion that was only shared by this particular nation. Nowadays with interracial marriages it's no longer a fact - someone could be a "Jew" but not of "Jewish" descent, causing confusion. :P

I do get your point though.

How about you pay attention in class instead of listening to music.
Really? I got an A in that class.
So, point is nullified.
Plus, this was work time on our homework
Further nullified.
You're not allowed to listen to music during class, claim nullified.
My Art, Social Studies teachers say hi.
Plus most teachers let us listen during work time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Like I told you earlier - if that teacher does it again, point out that there are students in the class that listen to music and he doesn't react to that. That should cause a stir. If he refuses to react then just tell your headmaster or principle.

Reactions: 1 person

AceWarhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like I told you earlier - if that teacher does it again, point out that there are students in the class that listen to music and he doesn't react to that. That should cause a stir. If he refuses to react then just tell your headmaster or principle.
Well, thing is, IF we tell the principal, he just comes in and monitors. THEN that teacher would be all nice and fair. They're all fakers.
But anyways, I'll take your advice.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Well, thing is, IF we tell the principal, he just comes in and monitors. THEN that teacher would be all nice and fair. They're all fakers.
I doubt that the principle is retarded enough not to realize that.

AceWarhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I doubt that the principle is retarded enough not to realize that.
Well, this story is really long, But:
This guy is a rather boring and lazy teacher. One day the principal came in to take notes, he was suddenly lively and full of energy. After that day, same droning on and on.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an African American Algebra I teacher.
Today I was listening to some music, He tells me to put up my MP3 Player. I do. He then says, " You know what, just give it here." and takes it away.
Now, in front of him are also some African American kids doing the EXACT SAME thing.

But guess what?

They don't get in trouble.

That teacher has alot of favoritism for African American kids. He lets them get away with LOADS of stuff, such as texting, eating, music, etc. but
apparently me and my friend can't.

I'm Asian and my friend is Caucasian.

Thoughts on what I should do?
Yeah thats all you can do, report to the principal or vice principal, if they ignore it make a complaint with your districts school board or local council

Either way you shouldnt be doing it, regardless of whether others get away with it or not, im sure that will be someone in a position of authorities opinion as well, just be apoligetic about it but state it still doesnt change the fact you feel discriminated against.

Some will think your just being a angry kid, but if your persistant they may investigate, also it doesnt hurt having other people complain as well, they'll take the complaint more seriously if its not just you complaining, it'll make it look like a genuine complaint and not a kid being angry about getting told off
Yeah, he should just lay down and take it.

Like a pussy.

Yeah thats exactly what I meant...... sigh (idiot)

Sorry, my nephew was hanging on me when I wrote this so I had like an entire confused clusterfuck going on with my thought process.

AceWarhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, because caucasian males are all from caucasus....

Well, yeah, sort of ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

507px-Gobustan_ancient_Azerbaycan_full.jpg

Petroglyphs in Gobustan, Azerbaijan, dating back to 10,000 BC indicating a thriving culture. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site considered to be of "outstanding universal value"

fall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, because caucasian males are all from caucasus....

Well, yeah, sort of ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

http://en.wikipedia..../Caucasian_race

507px-Gobustan_ancient_Azerbaycan_full.jpg

Petroglyphs in Gobustan, Azerbaijan, dating back to 10,000 BC indicating a thriving culture. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site considered to be of "outstanding universal value"
I don't really doubt it but maybe you should read your quoted sources more carefully.
And anyways, its besides the point because I was talking about short-term in accordance to the post I was quoting, which by the way you probably didn't read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus +1