genuisgeek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im not sure if this has been discussed but i know that the n64 cant be emulated on the DS
bu couldnt having hombrew that utilizes the RAm pack allow the use of a N64 emulator on DS to power its capacity
or is the graphics or something not enough

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep asking this question? The answer will always be no, it just doesn't have the power to emulate N64 games. :/

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
What if there were an expansion that was the around same size as the DS with a screen and buttons of it's own, that had three times the appropriate power that is required to emulate a N64, with ram to spare and all the appropriate features?

Oh wait, than it wouldn't be a DS, now would it?

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
Killer Phantom said:
If the Wii can't even emulate N64 properly(without the use of VC), I don't think NDS will be able to do it.

Erm... the VC games are emulated. So, yes, N64 is emulated on the Wii. Hell, the original X-Box can do it, and to
a lesser degree the Dreamcast and PSP.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHY would you think the RAM pack is enough to emulate the n64... havent you ever heard of the emulation rule? a system must be 8X TIMES STRONGER than the original.... and also the problem lies within the DS raw cpu power

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
cris92x said:
WHY would you think the RAM pack is enough to emulate the n64... havent you ever heard of the emulation rule? a system must be 8X TIMES STRONGER than the original.... and also the problem lies within the DS raw cpu power
That's not 100% accurate. Given some clever tricks, a programmer can emulate a system on a system that is slightly more than twice is powerful (See Daedalus [PSP] or Corn [win9x]).

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah you fell for the 8x rule? Within reason where there is a will and a way, and maybe a cheat and a twisting of things, crazy shit you think wouldn't work will...but there's a limit.

Neo Geo on the DS emulator is a fantastic example. I read some interview with the author who asked how the hell he did it, and he had done some stuff I hadn't even seen listed as concepts how to run something on limited hardware. He devised a way for even within the smaller ram of the DS to load a game into memory dynamically, save cycles and partition etc off and so on to get the speed 100%, have your audio, and the rest. Had he just done it straight up like an 8bit system emulator it would have crapped out. GBA another great example...TG16 runs on there and the beefier ram made CD titles, SNES Advance with massive ASM hacks runs some games, a few at full speed...either way with no audio but it works. GBA is a little 16mhz device with a 4mhz co-pro that dupes as the same z80 the GBC had...that's not so much nicer than the TG16 hardware across the board, and very much not nicer really than the SNES (damn near equal in ways)...but again it worked.

N64 on the basic level has a nearly 100mhz main processor alone, requires plenty of ram, has another juicy processor going with it as well. Now given that the DS has a 66 and 33mhz cpu, under a MB of ram, and so on...can you figure the math how the hell the N64 is going to run? And I'm really dumbing this down badly even putting it this way.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... the DS will emulate the N64 about a year after it can emulate the GBA..... so a year after never... you have a long time to wait.

BTW Urza.... that was one of the greatest posts I've seen in a long time.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jinxvorheeze said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... the DS will emulate the N64 about a year after it can emulate the GBA..... so a year after never... you have a long time to wait.

BTW Urza.... that was one of the greatest posts I've seen in a long time.
bad example.
the DS can already "emulate" the GBA by default, it's better to say "about a year after it can emulate GBA from slot1".

anyway, the N64 can't be emulated on the DS mainly because of processor power.
yes the DS has about the same as an N64 in total processor power, but it's spread out over 2 processors so you'd require managing sofware for that.

and you lose even more processor power since the N64 and DS use completely different processor types(while psp, ps1 and N64 all use similar processors)
so you'd need translation software.
this leaves almost no processing power left for the games themselves.

maybe it would be possible if someone would invent a ram-processor pack for slot2 with 128MB ram and a 500mhz processor.
but that's not going to happen.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS doesn't emulate the GBA.... it switches to seperate hardware to play the games. The DS emulates the GBA like the Wii emulates the GC.... No emulation, just hardware. Being able to run GBA Roms from Slot-2 Doesn't mean your emulating the GBA, your emulating a GBA catridge with hardware and the GBA doesn't know any better. A modded PS2 doesn't emulate playing PS2 games, it still just plays them.

Holaitsme

10/10 would be loyal again
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no its not always about ram the graphics card and processors and different than the ds just look at snemulds its a good snes emulator but it cant play all games even with a ram pack and snes is more low tech than the n64 so imagine an n64 ds emulator it wouldnt work

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Punctuation please.
2. Was it really necessary to bump this from nearly a month ago to say the same thing everyone else has already said?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock