Homebrew Radiant Historia

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently trying to get Radiant Historia to work on a Nintendo DS emulator. My primary problem is the sound. The best solution I've found so far is with DeSmuME, though it's not perfect.

Under Sound Options, if I use Dual SPU synch, then I get a lot of noise. If I use Synchronous Mode, then I have a few options. Synch Method N doesn't change anything. Synch Method P eliminates all noise, but results in slowdown and lag. Synch Method Z eliminates all slowdown, but has some minor sound glitches.

I've also tried the NO$GBA emulator with NO$Zoomer which didn't improve the sound, even with the Noise reduction. I've also noticed that the book on the save points doesn't display. Battles seems to work perfectly in all cases.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
As DeSmuME and No$GBA are the only options for good Nintendo DS emulators, you can't pick anything else to try that. No$GBA and its upgrade, No$Zoomer, have not been upgraded in some time. They DO have better emulation on some games, but for newer games you should be using DeSmuME. No$Zoomer's 'noise reduction' option does not always eliminate all sound problems, but it usually eliminates enough that there's not much noise that will grate at your ears. DeSmuME is also known for being extremely slow for a lot of games and if the sound isn't perfect when you eliminate much of the slowdown, that may be the best it can get.

Unfortunately, you may very well have to live with minor sound glitches.

Off topic, but are you the REAL HCBailly from Youtube?
ohmy.gif

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this is the real HCBailly. I'm seriously considering Radiant Historia for an LP, but only if I can get the emulation to work reasonably well. The sound glitches really aren't that bad and I can't even hear them on a recording. I suppose the only thing that I would really be concerned about are graphical glitches, like the book on the save points.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
HCBailly said:
Yes, this is the real HCBailly. I'm seriously considering Radiant Historia for an LP, but only if I can get the emulation to work reasonably well. The sound glitches really aren't that bad and I can't even hear them on a recording. I suppose the only thing that I would really be concerned about are graphical glitches, like the book on the save points.
Well, that's not much of a big deal unless it makes something unrecognizeable, but I don't know how to fix graphical glitches. I think that's a problem with the emulator itself and nothing that can be fixed by a user of the program.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
HCBailly said:
I've seen others on YouTube make videos with DeSmuME with no problems at all, so I know it's possible.

Every game reacts differently on DeSmuME. Same games run really well, some games run at about 50% speed. Other games have severe sound issues, others have graphical issues. I personally don't like the emulator much myself.

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant videos of Radiant Historia. They seem to be able to get it working perfectly. I know my computer is better than average, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've asked a few people via YouTube. Hopefully, one of them will respond.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
In this case, it would be all about the settings. There are so many of the damn things, it gets hard to figure out what to do. Hopefully somebody gets back to you about it.

Speyeker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never played this game, but I've learned a thing or two about DS emulation over the years (from a player's perspective).

From looking at videos on YouTube, this game doesn't appear to make use of 3D polygons, so I'm surprised the sound is choppy on NO$GBA. I know with Lufia DS (a game that DOES have 3D polygons) you can greatly reduce the sound choppiness by going to the game's config menu and switching the sound output to headphones. I don't know if Radiant Historia has a similar option, though.

Another possible option is to try and record directly off your DS. You found a way to make it work with your PS3, so why not with your DS? But if somehow that doesn't work...and this is REALLY a last-resort idea...but is there an easier way to record this off a 3DS? Or even a DSi, if you don't want to break your wallet.

It's a tricky situation, for sure. DS emulation isn't perfect, but from my experience, NO$GBA can play most games perfectly with the help of NO$ZOOMER, provided they don't contain 3D polygons. Though, I have heard problems with the Pokémon games (which as far as I know don't use 3D polygons--well, the older ones for the DS don't, anyway).

DeSmuME is really only for people with an extremely beefy computer. I have an i7 laptop and even that isn't powerful enough for DeSmuME (though apparently an i7 DESKTOP would have been powerful enough).

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Speyeker said:
Another possible option is to try and record directly off your DS. You found a way to make it work with your PS3, so why not with your DS?

You can record from any console as long as you have a TV Tuner (or similar products) hooked up to your television. A Nintendo DS is different because it has no way to output its screens on a television and has no similar products to the TV Tuner that will allow you to record gameplay as such.

Unfortunately, Emulators are the only way to record DS gameplay without pointing a camera at your Nintendo DS and having video quality issues.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Speyeker said:
Another possible option is to try and record directly off your DS. You found a way to make it work with your PS3, so why not with your DS?

You can record from any console as long as you have a TV Tuner (or similar products) hooked up to your television. A Nintendo DS is different because it has no way to output its screens on a television and has no similar products to the TV Tuner that will allow you to record gameplay as such.

Unfortunately, Emulators are the only way to record DS gameplay without pointing a camera at your Nintendo DS and having video quality issues.
yup as Sora de Eclaune said and hes done that with pokemon plainum

Speyeker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then how does Gametrailers make such high quality reviews? It's clearly not just footage sent by the developers. There's something we're missing here.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Speyeker said:
Then how does Gametrailers make such high quality reviews? It's clearly not just footage sent by the developers. There's something we're missing here.

They have unique set ups if I'm not mistaken. What they use isn't seen outside of review studios.

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, there would be three other ways of recording a DS game.

1) Pointing a camera at it. I've seen some fairly elaborate setups, but they all deliver lower quality than even what my emulator does right now.

2) Mod the DS. I've seen some videos on modding the DS to connect directly to a TV. However, it's still not nearly as good quality.

3) Buy a $20K developers kit. I'm guessing that the developer lends the software to the reviewers to make their videos. Obviously, I don't have access to this either.

Given how close I am with the emulator, I think that's the best solution. I've just got to fix that graphical glitch.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
HCBailly said:
To my knowledge, there would be three other ways of recording a DS game.

1) Pointing a camera at it. I've seen some fairly elaborate setups, but they all deliver lower quality than even what my emulator does right now.

2) Mod the DS. I've seen some videos on modding the DS to connect directly to a TV. However, it's still not nearly as good quality.

3) Buy a $20K developers kit. I'm guessing that the developer lends the software to the reviewers to make their videos. Obviously, I don't have access to this either.

Given how close I am with the emulator, I think that's the best solution. I've just got to fix that graphical glitch.
If it bothers you that much then you could always add the stuff in in a video editor if you can't get it to fix.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Are you sure that combining No$GBA with the NDS BIOS files wouldn't help? I've heard it essentially solves some problems for a bunch of games (although it is illegal to link it, or DL it for that matter).
If it does help, I'm pretty sure you can dump your BIOS files if you have a flashcart.

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I tried loading from BIOS, and it changed nothing. Although, it is the only way I know to get it to work at all on No$GBA. Sadly, it still has the same problem.

HCBailly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I think I figured out what was wrong, and it's me. I'm an idiot. I was only testing the first save point in the game. Apparently, I forgot that the book doesn't show up on the save points until after you reach Historia for the first time. Special thanks to Zeromus on the desmume forums for leading me to this conclusion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1