Hacking R4i Ultra BootStrap...

SixtySixHundred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After being inspired by a topic I read yesterday, I felt I needed to create something for users of the R4i Ultra flashcart so they could get some better support for new games. After trying a lot of different stuff and nearly killing my own R4i Ultra in the process, I manages to create a file that will load any .nds file as soon as you boot the cart...

Basically, those of you who use the R4i Ultra (from www.r4ultra.com) can now say goodbye to that horrible UI we were stuck with and Moonshell that won't work correctly! Download the archive from the link below and follow the instructions in the 'READ.txt' file and you'll be good to go. So far I've had the wonderful 'HBMenu' start as soon as I turn my DS on as well as AKAIO v1.5.1 (naughty, I know. But I did it to test stuff). In time, I will use this bootstrap to load a firmware all of my own so users of the R4i Ultra can enjoy decent compatibility again...

Gotta love DevKitPro!

Download link here. That is the HBMenu setup. Follow the included instructions and you'll have HBMenu as your default menu. For those who don't know about HBMenu, it's basically a menu that'll only load homebrew and NO commercial ROMs. It's officially supported by DevKitPro themselves who want to see a special flashcart designed exclusively for homebrew to help take the piracy/legal trouble out of the flashcart scene! Good stuff if you ask me!

Anyway, this is the result of a day or so of reading, research and coding so I hope you R4i Ultra users enjoy it! I've got some youtube vids of it working too. The first is my R4i Ultra booting straight into HBMenu and the second is the same cart booting into AKAIO 1.5.1. AKAIO files aren't included in the download archive!

Enjoy, and any problems are either caused by your cart being a clone of a clone or your incompetance. Neither is my fault.
laugh.gif

EDIT: OMG I can't believe I neglected to mention a dude I got some inspiration from, a developer called 'Fincs' who did a similar project for another cloned cart. He basically gave me the idea for this and for that, I think him!

EDIT2: It seems this is yet to be working on the R4 Ultra, (not R4i Ultra). The cart will boot past the loading screen, but hangs at the red top-screen afterwards... It seems to be a problem with the ARM7 Binary but I'm still working on it...

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
hey where am i
you forgot to mention me
i was the one who started the other thread you were inspired by yestarday
im just jking
i didn't really help much
but seriously good job

wow im replying even before read the thread

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
yes i helped u get inspired and get the idea from my thread

i haven't tried it
im going to try it now
ill post my results

EDIT:

are the loaders (akloader.nds , ak2loader.nds) they main thing that run games/roms
if they are we have to find out how to edit them

SixtySixHundred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
kiafazool said:
yes i helped u get inspired and get the idea from my thread

i haven't tried it
im going to try it now
ill post my results

EDIT:

are the loaders (akloader.nds , ak2loader.nds) they main thing that run games/roms
if they are we have to find out how to edit them

Grrr! LEAVE AKAIO ALONE...

AKAIO is for AceKards and we were lucky Norm carried on with AKAIO after 1.5 was cracked! So do me a favour and drop this AKAIO thing completely! My intention was a starting block to building my own kernel for an unsupported cart, not go robbing everyone elses work! If you carry on talking about AKAIO, I'll just stop altogether and all you'll have is a pointless bootstrap that loads the default R4i Ultra kernel or out-of-date AKAIO files...
hate2.gif

fonfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thank you for your work, but I R4 Ultra, and hanging red screen. bad .... I hope you get and R4 Ultra. Otherwise Shin_Megami_Tensei_Strange_Journey_USA and Blue_Dragon_Awakened_Shadow_CRACKED (the game goes, but saves are not loaded) will not play. In Russia in St. Petersburg can only get this rotten r4 ultra of Chinese craftsmen, and they march, spat on his card and do not release new firmware.
P.S. I did not understand the game can be run directly from inside your software or you can run from inside your firmware AKAIO 1.7, and have him run out of games as they used out of official firmware from www.r4ultra.com could run AKAIO v1.5.1 .
P.S.P.S. By the way, do not even think that R4i Ultra may be suitable for conventional DS, thought it only for DSi.

SixtySixHundred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fonfrost said:
Thank you for your work, but I R4 Ultra, and hanging red screen. bad .... I hope you get and R4 Ultra. Otherwise Shin_Megami_Tensei_Strange_Journey_USA and Blue_Dragon_Awakened_Shadow_CRACKED (the game goes, but saves are not loaded) will not play. In Russia in St. Petersburg can only get this rotten r4 ultra of Chinese craftsmen, and they march, spat on his card and do not release new firmware.
P.S. I did not understand the game can be run directly from inside your software or you can run from inside your firmware AKAIO 1.7, and have him run out of games as they used out of official firmware from www.r4ultra.com could run AKAIO v1.5.1 .
P.S.P.S. By the way, do not even think that R4i Ultra may be suitable for conventional DS, thought it only for DSi.

Dude, I'm sorry but I didn't get much of that. I do know that red screen doesn't = bad. The fact it gets past the 'Loading' screen tells me it works, just not quite as expected. I also know that it's the ARM7 code I need to work on. I'll sort it for other clones if I can...

Btw, AKAIO 1.7 won't run on the R4i Ultra. The best you're gonna get it 1.5.1.

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
Spoiler:
SixtySixHundred said:
QUOTE(fonfrost @ Jun 15 2010, 10:43 AM) Thank you for your work, but I R4 Ultra, and hanging red screen. bad .... I hope you get and R4 Ultra. Otherwise Shin_Megami_Tensei_Strange_Journey_USA and Blue_Dragon_Awakened_Shadow_CRACKED (the game goes, but saves are not loaded) will not play. In Russia in St. Petersburg can only get this rotten r4 ultra of Chinese craftsmen, and they march, spat on his card and do not release new firmware.
Dude, I'm sorry but I didn't get much of that. I do know that red screen doesn't = bad. The fact it gets past the 'Loading' screen tells me it works, just not quite as expected. I also know that it's the ARM7 code I need to work on. I'll sort it for other clones if I can...

AKAIO 1.8.1 goto www.r4ultra.com

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
ceteksretek said:
Spoiler:
SixtySixHundred said:
QUOTE(fonfrost @ Jun 15 2010, 10:43 AM) Thank you for your work, but I R4 Ultra, and hanging red screen. bad .... I hope you get and R4 Ultra. Otherwise Shin_Megami_Tensei_Strange_Journey_USA and Blue_Dragon_Awakened_Shadow_CRACKED (the game goes, but saves are not loaded) will not play. In Russia in St. Petersburg can only get this rotten r4 ultra of Chinese craftsmen, and they march, spat on his card and do not release new firmware.

AKAIO 1.8.1 goto [takeoutlink] [/takeoutlink]
why the heck would you bump this thread
and dont post that link here
it might cause akaio to stop

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the akaio 1.8.1 build for the r4i ultra is a real thing. it was ported over by normmatt at the request of team acekard. the r4i ultra was developed, manufactured, and supported by team acekard. they then sold the design and the new team stopped supporting the card (from what i understand). future builds of akaio should also run on the r4i ultra.

-another world

SixtySixHundred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
the akaio 1.8.1 build for the r4i ultra is a real thing. it was ported over by normmatt at the request of team acekard. the r4i ultra was developed, manufactured, and supported by team acekard. they then sold the design and the new team stopped supporting the card (from what i understand). future builds of akaio should also run on the r4i ultra.

-another world
AW, seeing as It's official, this thread can be locked or deleted I think. The bootstrap was only really any good for AKAIO 1.5.1 anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Tube? :shy::blush::evil:
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Games are getting huge nowdays, like 125gb a game (4k games anyways). I feel sorry for players that only have a 512gb hd. (Series S)
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's fine just stream the game! Lol
    +1
    I wonder if that was the point of game streaming
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should...