Hacking R4i Gold pro 2018, doubled file names

DrEmmettB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBAtemp Form,
I have a question that maybe only you guys can answer. I have the R4isdhc R4 Gold pro 2018 card. I have it working great, but strange thing is that it has any game file twice? once as "._gamename" that is a 4K file with game code OS X and a R4 logo then a second time as "Gamename" with a much larger file size a completely different game code and the logo for that game.
If I click on the "._gamename" file the DS will freeze and I have to restart the DS. If I click on the "Gamename" file everything thing runs fine.
Now thats ok, but I also see that with the "._gamename" files eat up the total number of games the R4 system can handle. i.e. if I have the 300 game max only the first 149 games will show because the other games are the "._gamename" unusable files. That and you have to scroll throw 149 bad file to get to the usable files afterwards.

My question is is there a way to either hide the "._gamename" files or get rid of them? So that I don't have to scroll to the second half of the game list, nor lose half the systems capability of the 300 games max. Also not having the capability of freeze my DS by accident when I click on a "._gamename" file.

I am using a Mac to do all the file transfers onto the SD card, just in case if its relevant.

Thanks in advance for the ones that can answer this question.

Reactions: hergapus

DrEmmettB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I found the problem and solution myself. I am posting it here for everyone else. If your using a Mac the mac will write extra metadata files for use with the Mac OS X. So the hidden files (._filename files) get in the way of other systems that don't need that extra info. So the you have to remove that info from the SD card.
The way to do that in a Mac is to use Terminal in the MAC and follow this procedure:

1. Log on to the MAC and insert your SD card.
2. Launch Terminal (Application > Utilities).
3. Type in the command, followed by a space: dot_clean
4. drag the sd card drive from the desktop to the terminal window. (note a green cursor with a + symbol will appear before you release the mouse.)
5. Press Enter/Return

It will appear as if nothing has happened, but the ._files will have been removed.

Eject the SD card and put back into your R4 gold card and you will no longer see the extra files eating up the R4 systems capability of the 300 games max.

Hope this helps other that may have run into this problem.

Reactions: hergapus

hergapus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I found the problem and solution myself. I am posting it here for everyone else. If your using a Mac the mac will write extra metadata files for use with the Mac OS X. So the hidden files (._filename files) get in the way of other systems that don't need that extra info. So the you have to remove that info from the SD card.
The way to do that in a Mac is to use Terminal in the MAC and follow this procedure:

1. Log on to the MAC and insert your SD card.
2. Launch Terminal (Application > Utilities).
3. Type in the command, followed by a space: dot_clean
4. drag the sd card drive from the desktop to the terminal window. (note a green cursor with a + symbol will appear before you release the mouse.)
5. Press Enter/Return

It will appear as if nothing has happened, but the ._files will have been removed.

Eject the SD card and put back into your R4 gold card and you will no longer see the extra files eating up the R4 systems capability of the 300 games max.

Hope this helps other that may have run into this problem.
This worked perfectly, thank you for sharing your solution! The dot_clean command reported a couple of errors/failures when it ran, but it still did the job and removed all the ._files from my card, and now I can access all my games!

TurbulentRex

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you from 2023 - I've had this problem from years, and now it's gone.
What a wonderful feeling!
P.S. For me, it worked with a Mac OS Ventura and an R4 Revolution (black and gray one)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg