Hacking R4DS Spring Problem

jrdehaisx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay some might remember me as the one gy that admired the R4DS I knew it will die, I guess it survived a couple of months, so now I have the SPring Problem, I remember like 4 months ago people used to say that there was a permanent fix which was to remove the spring, but I have looked up that manual for the fix and cant find it... can someone give me a manual or a youtube video so I can look it and fix it myself? Its really causing a pain as I am using it with scotch right now and still the card will stop working in the middle of functioning...
hate2.gif

That is the reason why I love my
psp.gif
yaypsp.gif

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I watched the first video and i am wondering if what that guy says is correct. From what i can understand it says when you want to remove the microsd card don't push it down instead just pull it out. Anyone else uses this method?

My M3 Simply will arrive in a couple of days and i heard tons of problems with the spring.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, if you go slow and gentle, it won't break.

If it does, I think you can unscrew it to get it out
tongue.gif

Just go slow and don't slam the damn thing. Be gentle >:3

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goofy is probably right. I thought my spring was broken too until I realized that I was pushing the mSD in too far/hard. Go gently and stop AS SOON AS YOU feel/hear the click. Pushing it any further will cause it to disengage.

austrina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is... i cant even put my microSD without it being spit out of the R4 by the stupid spring. Initially the micro wont came out, and i tried to press it to take it out and the spring broke completely. I hate that stupid 'made in china' spring. I managed to take it out now... it is better its just that u cant press your micro SD far too inside the slot now. Or you'll need to unscrew everything to get it out. Better than using stucky tape I guess

I wonder when will the R4 team fix this problem
frown.gif

thasfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this has happend to me as well today. However, there's something I'd like to point out to people that may be of note. I have not noticed it posted anywhere else, so here goes.

It's not the spring that's broken. There are a few videos that show how to fix this problem.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDhdWap3TM&NR=1 (Fix is shown later on in the video).

The real problem is that the plastic catch that holds the spring in place is broken. The spring is under a plastic piece that has a leading small metallic pin. The pin catches the plastic when you press down and holds into place and thus the sd card is kept in place. The people that experience the problem with the card coming right out is because the plastic is near failure or already failed. To further illustrate this, I took a picture of what happened to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thasfreak/1466576298/

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is... i cant even put my microSD without it being spit out of the R4 by the stupid spring. Initially the micro wont came out, and i tried to press it to take it out and the spring broke completely. I hate that stupid 'made in china' spring. I managed to take it out now... it is better its just that u cant press your micro SD far too inside the slot now. Or you'll need to unscrew everything to get it out. Better than using stucky tape I guess

I wonder when will the R4 team fix this problem
frown.gif

Lol, I have the same problem. MY SD almost hit someone in the eye before. Oops. Newais, I use tape too. 'Tis a pain in the donkey. Stupid R4...

My solution is...

Buy a new R4/M3/CycloDS

jrdehaisx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I am back here! I got this problem solved with tape, neh never mind it jumped again when I tried to add some more games, so I used the link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE

I located the spring and the plastic, I did something to get the spring stuck on the plastic, I hitted it hard several times, of course the SD was going in at the same time... anyways it worked and I have left it there and it has not JUMPED, I am thinking of smoldering the part, BUT the SD wont go out then,... I am thinking.

And NO I wont waste more money, my DS is for my GF now, i own my PSP and PS3 and I will waste my money on it, not on the DS.
smile.gif

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pissed me off but if you take a good look at the mechanism fixing it is pretty simple. The problem is the plastic bit has worn out so the micro-SD is not pushing the mechanism far enough in to make it click.

My solution:
The easiest way to fix it is to get a thin something (I used a metal nail file) and push the plastic bit down until it clicks into place. The mechanism should never unclick again because it's worn out.

You don't even have to take apart the R4 to do it. BTW the clicker is on the side the micro-SD has the notches!

I also bent the retainers a bit to hold the card in more firmly u do have to take it apart if u wanna do that.

jrdehaisx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pissed me off but if you take a good look at the mechanism fixing it is pretty simple. The problem is the plastic bit has worn out so the micro-SD is not pushing the mechanism far enough in to make it click.

My solution:
The easiest way to fix it is to get a thin something (I used a metal nail file) and push the plastic bit down until it clicks into place. The mechanism should never unclick again because it's worn out.

You don't even have to take apart the R4 to do it. BTW the clicker is on the side the micro-SD has the notches!

I also bent the retainers a bit to hold the card in more firmly u do have to take it apart if u wanna do that.

I am a good investigator so it worked, my GF has had it now since I posted the solution and her brother uses it as well, GOOD I fixed that problem... jejeje now a quick question does anyone know where I can get a CHEAP card, either R4DS M3 or any other card, I need to get at least 5 so I need a GOOD Price for the cards. Thanks in advance.

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn, my spring broke for the second time. This time it wasn't a simple alignment issue. The plastic bit got stuck on the micro sd card, so I imagine it was worn out and cockeyed. I managed to use my card to jam it down, but that made me nervous that it would someday release and throw my poor lil card into oblivion. So I took it apart and removed the plastic bit and spring with a push pin (couldn't find any tweezers). Oh well. I'm seriously considering jumping ship. CycloDS or Acekard RPG.

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
i get an interesting problem with my R4 where i have to reinstert the whole thing into the ds about 4 times until it see the card ... I did have the spring problem but it seems to have gone but the info here will help me if it does act up again

jrdehaisx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get an interesting problem with my R4 where i have to reinstert the whole thing into the ds about 4 times until it see the card ... I did have the spring problem but it seems to have gone but the info here will help me if it does act up again

That is a very common problem! My GF gets it from time to time, all you need to do is take it out blow inside and the card... air of course, and then reinsert it all the way in. It will work and is very common, dont worry about it.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get it working again and don't want to take your card out, there is always the option of running the hombrew FTP server app for the DS.

This way you can move files to and from it over the Wifi connection and your PC. It's not as fast, but hey, if you just want to add a rom to it and not remove the card, it works fine.

edandwhodaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL omg there was a spring for the sd card? i just found out.. cuz wen i normally put it in i dont "click" it and it still works.. and i just pull it out so it has no contact with the spring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro