R4DS Spring Problem

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by jrdehaisx, Aug 7, 2007.

Aug 7, 2007

R4DS Spring Problem by jrdehaisx at 6:28 AM (6,070 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. jrdehaisx
    OP

Newcomer jrdehaisx Advanced Member

United States
    Okay some might remember me as the one gy that admired the R4DS I knew it will die, I guess it survived a couple of months, so now I have the SPring Problem, I remember like 4 months ago people used to say that there was a permanent fix which was to remove the spring, but I have looked up that manual for the fix and cant find it... can someone give me a manual or a youtube video so I can look it and fix it myself? Its really causing a pain as I am using it with scotch right now and still the card will stop working in the middle of functioning... [​IMG]

That is the reason why I love my [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DSGRIM

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
  3. Haruspex

Member Haruspex GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    I watched the first video and i am wondering if what that guy says is correct. From what i can understand it says when you want to remove the microsd card don't push it down instead just pull it out. Anyone else uses this method?

My M3 Simply will arrive in a couple of days and i heard tons of problems with the spring.

4. Jademalo

Member Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    ALLWAYS push the M3DSS in to eject.
    ALLWAYS.

5. Goofy Time

Member Goofy Time GBAtemp Fan

United States
    To my knowledge, if you go slow and gentle, it won't break.

If it does, I think you can unscrew it to get it out [​IMG].

Just go slow and don't slam the damn thing. Be gentle >:3

6. XeroRestraint

Member XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Goofy is probably right. I thought my spring was broken too until I realized that I was pushing the mSD in too far/hard. Go gently and stop AS SOON AS YOU feel/hear the click. Pushing it any further will cause it to disengage.

7. austrina

Newcomer austrina Member

Australia
    The problem is... i cant even put my microSD without it being spit out of the R4 by the stupid spring. Initially the micro wont came out, and i tried to press it to take it out and the spring broke completely. I hate that stupid 'made in china' spring. I managed to take it out now... it is better its just that u cant press your micro SD far too inside the slot now. Or you'll need to unscrew everything to get it out. Better than using stucky tape I guess

I wonder when will the R4 team fix this problem [​IMG]

8. thasfreak

Newcomer thasfreak Newbie

United States
    Well, this has happend to me as well today. However, there's something I'd like to point out to people that may be of note. I have not noticed it posted anywhere else, so here goes.

It's not the spring that's broken. There are a few videos that show how to fix this problem.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDhdWap3TM&NR=1 (Fix is shown later on in the video).

The real problem is that the plastic catch that holds the spring in place is broken. The spring is under a plastic piece that has a leading small metallic pin. The pin catches the plastic when you press down and holds into place and thus the sd card is kept in place. The people that experience the problem with the card coming right out is because the plastic is near failure or already failed. To further illustrate this, I took a picture of what happened to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thasfreak/1466576298/

9. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Lol, I have the same problem. MY SD almost hit someone in the eye before. Oops. Newais, I use tape too. 'Tis a pain in the donkey. Stupid R4...

My solution is...

Buy a new R4/M3/CycloDS

10. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    DONT use the first youtube link up there.
    Trust me one time the spring would "spring" and your MicroSD card is gone.
    Use the second one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE
    To get rid of the spring.
    Its better whitout it anyway.

11. jrdehaisx
    OP

United States
    Hello I am back here! I got this problem solved with tape, neh never mind it jumped again when I tried to add some more games, so I used the link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE

I located the spring and the plastic, I did something to get the spring stuck on the plastic, I hitted it hard several times, of course the SD was going in at the same time... anyways it worked and I have left it there and it has not JUMPED, I am thinking of smoldering the part, BUT the SD wont go out then,... I am thinking.

And NO I wont waste more money, my DS is for my GF now, i own my PSP and PS3 and I will waste my money on it, not on the DS. [​IMG]

12. fenthwick

Member fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Just be gentle when pushing it in. What I do is use my thumb and push it gently in until I hit the corner of the R4 with the thumb.

13. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Pissed me off but if you take a good look at the mechanism fixing it is pretty simple. The problem is the plastic bit has worn out so the micro-SD is not pushing the mechanism far enough in to make it click.

My solution:
    The easiest way to fix it is to get a thin something (I used a metal nail file) and push the plastic bit down until it clicks into place. The mechanism should never unclick again because it's worn out.

You don't even have to take apart the R4 to do it. BTW the clicker is on the side the micro-SD has the notches!

I also bent the retainers a bit to hold the card in more firmly u do have to take it apart if u wanna do that.

14. jrdehaisx
    OP

United States

I am a good investigator so it worked, my GF has had it now since I posted the solution and her brother uses it as well, GOOD I fixed that problem... jejeje now a quick question does anyone know where I can get a CHEAP card, either R4DS M3 or any other card, I need to get at least 5 so I need a GOOD Price for the cards. Thanks in advance.

15. bfoos

Member bfoos GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Damn, my spring broke for the second time. This time it wasn't a simple alignment issue. The plastic bit got stuck on the micro sd card, so I imagine it was worn out and cockeyed. I managed to use my card to jam it down, but that made me nervous that it would someday release and throw my poor lil card into oblivion. So I took it apart and removed the plastic bit and spring with a push pin (couldn't find any tweezers). Oh well. I'm seriously considering jumping ship. CycloDS or Acekard RPG.

16. morcar

Member morcar GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i get an interesting problem with my R4 where i have to reinstert the whole thing into the ds about 4 times until it see the card ... I did have the spring problem but it seems to have gone but the info here will help me if it does act up again

17. jrdehaisx
    OP

United States
    That is a very common problem! My GF gets it from time to time, all you need to do is take it out blow inside and the card... air of course, and then reinsert it all the way in. It will work and is very common, dont worry about it.

18. HaTaX

Member HaTaX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you get it working again and don't want to take your card out, there is always the option of running the hombrew FTP server app for the DS.

This way you can move files to and from it over the Wifi connection and your PC. It's not as fast, but hey, if you just want to add a rom to it and not remove the card, it works fine.

19. edandwhodaman

Newcomer edandwhodaman Newbie

Canada
    LOL omg there was a spring for the sd card? i just found out.. cuz wen i normally put it in i dont "click" it and it still works.. and i just pull it out so it has no contact with the spring

20. KarmaUK

Member KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Mine clicks then sticks ocasionally, I just flick it a few times and it's fine. Touch wood! [​IMG]