OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a small question about R4DS. I currently have one and am wondering if i were to buy a slot-2 device if it would 1) work with the R4 (i assume it would as it load slot-2, but want to make sure so i dont spend a bunch of money) and 2) if GBA Games work using an R4/Slot-2 Solution. I know that GBA Games dont work off of slot 1 only but do not know if they work using R4 with slot-2. I am thinking about going with the M3 Slot-2 Cart (as i heard R4 is made by the M3 Team) or does anyone have any recomendations about a slot-2 solution to play GBA games using R4DS.

Also does anyone know if R4DS supports the new format of MicroSD Cards (i.e. 4 GB MicroSDHC) I know Cyclo does but not if the R4 DOes, i dont want to spend 100 dollars for it not to work.

Thanks to all in advance.!

nds.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a small question about R4DS. I currently have one and am wondering if i were to buy a slot-2 device if it would 1) work with the R4 (i assume it would as it load slot-2, but want to make sure so i dont spend a bunch of money) and 2) if GBA Games work using an R4/Slot-2 Solution. I know that GBA Games dont work off of slot 1 only but do not know if they work using R4 with slot-2. I am thinking about going with the M3 Slot-2 Cart (as i heard R4 is made by the M3 Team) or does anyone have any recomendations about a slot-2 solution to play GBA games using R4DS.

Also does anyone know if R4DS supports the new format of MicroSD Cards (i.e. 4 GB MicroSDHC) I know Cyclo does but not if the R4 DOes, i dont want to spend 100 dollars for it not to work.

Thanks to all in advance.!

nds.gif

1)The review states that its possible

QUOTEAdditional Features

There aren't many extras on the R4 DS. Besides Moonshell and the option to boot to a slot 2 device within the main menu, there isn't anything else to find on the R4 DS in its current firmwares state. As I've said numerous times already, there's no reason to cover the features of Moonshell in this review as it's a homebrew application that isn't unique to the R4.

So let's take a look at the slot 2 boot feature. Why would you need this option to boot slot 2 flash kits from within the R4 DS menu? Well, if the firmware on your DS isn't flashed, then you would normally need some kind of PassMe device to boot the cart in slot 2 to start it in DS mode. So instead of the R4 forcing you to have your own PassMe, as well as the R4, and having to remove the R4 from your DS to switch with a PassMe to use your slot 2 card, they have added a PassMe feature which will prove useful for a large majority of people (keeping in mind slot 1 devices currently have no way of running GBA ROMs).

I have tested compatibility of the PassMe feature with the following slot 2 flash kits. Here are my results:

* M3 Adapter (Full size SD) - PASS
  * M3 Adapter (Lite/micro) - PASS
  * Supercard (Full size SD) - PASS
  * Supercard Lite - PASS
  * Supercard Lite Rumble - PASS
  * eWin 2 series - PASS
  * EZ-Flash IV Lite - PASS
  * G6 Lite - PASS

The PassMe function works great from our testing and is a nice little addition.

2) You dont need a Slot 1 anything device to play GBA games from a slot 2 device. Only when you try and play an NDS rom you need a Passthrough or a slot 1 as a passthrough. I think that the R4/slot2 combo you are talking about is in fact a EZ 3in1 expansion, which is very popular. This combo actually allows for you to play GBA roms stored on your R4 by loading it to your EZ 3in1 using a special loader and works just as well as a M3but without RTC(RealTimeClock, this only affects pokemon and that can be patched.) The R4+EZ3in1 is so much cheaper than a Slot 2 M3 and can do everything possible on your DS and with the age of automatic DLDI patching, even homebrew is a lot more accessible.

3)The R4 does not support SDHC cards but i heard that if you format 4gig cards in a certain cluster size, you will be able to play them(dont shoot me if im wrong
nyanya.gif
)

cheeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(as i heard R4 is made by the M3 Team)
It’s the other way around R4 makes the M3 Simply hardware, M3 slightly modifies each R4 software update to run on the simply. In short the M3 is just a R4 knock off that usually costs a bit more just because M3 stamps their name on it. And I would agree with xcalibur798 R4+EZ3in1 is a nice combo.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Apperently theres als been rumors going around that the M3 team have stopped producing the simply and are coming out with a M3 Real
I hope its true, if you go by their reputation, M3 real should be great.
A slot 1 equivalent of the M3 perfect...Maybe it'd beat the CycloDS

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
It's allover the place, SDHC is hardware, not just software. The R4 is made to be compatible with MicroSD cards, there's no hardware in the card for MicroSDHC cards.

There are a few unofficial 4gb MicroSD cards but they seem to suck and are more expensive than 2x 2gb.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
it could be possible that the SCDS1 might support SDHC cards since they have microfirmware in the hardware of the card, whereas othe flashcards run the OS from the memcards

you could also get a M3 perfect, i heard that a chinese firmware update allows for SDHC

why would you want a 4gig card anywyas? unless you wont have access to a computer for long you could easily just swap games
a 2gig card could easily hold 30 games

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
it could be possible that the SCDS1 might support SDHC cards since they have microfirmware in the hardware of the card, whereas othe flashcards run the OS from the memcards

you could also get a M3 perfect, i heard that a chinese firmware update allows for SDHC

why would you want a 4gig card anywyas? unless you wont have access to a computer for long you could easily just swap games
Or buy 2x 2GB cards...

retman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Or buy 2x 2GB cards...

which can turn out cheaper than a 4GB SDHC card.

thomasroberts6

Trophies
XP
Country
I am [hopefully] getting a 2gb tomorrow... but im having second thought now. I dont really need it, i just want it.

Badly.

I think i have a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...