R4DS Firmware?

SilentSinr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this is awesome
thanks for the news about this...i had no idea that they were still supporting the original r4ds with ported firmware

i am going to go try this out right now

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
in reply to skins... yeah =P

on the old r4 firmwares up to 1.18 you could just drop the skin files into the _system_ folder and they would work. i tried that on the firmware in this news post, and the one before it, and the skin did not show up. it seems they altered the behavior of the original, and its not a big deal i just wanted to point it out so others aren't like "WTF."

it is interesting to read the post from amanda, and i'm curious how much of it is true. the team can not be contacted and they do not respond to e-mails. at any rate, thanks for posting that info.

this firmware is, as norm stated, based off a popular open source firmware from another 3rd party coder. this is not the original r4 firmware recoded but a rewrite using another firmware as the base. the cheat engine "should" be a completely different engine but i'm typing that "should" with speculation. it might just be the old r4 cheat engine.

if 1 or 100 games don't work, i could care less. i'm just happy to use my r4 again, if even for homebrew. it is nice to see support of the card and i hope they find this thread, read any posted concerns, and continue to update the firmware for the foreseeable future.

@pitman: if you check their homepage, linked in the news post, and then navigate to a firmware download like... you can find basic change logs. they don't really include that much information. as far as i can tell this is their r4i firmware compiled for the r4ds, so the change logs should be the same for both sections. i guess if one gives more info than the other, go with the one that has more to say. i hope that helps.

-another world

jincongz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just me, or is this one slower than the 1.18? As well, I can't seem to get Yugioh 2k8 working on either 1.18 or 1.23.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
This unofficial firmware is slow, uglyer and just straight out horrible. I'd stick to 1.18. This freezes almost everytime i try to enable cheats. Almost freezes when i just enter the cheats menu. also the fontstyle looks like ass.

takagen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I just tried the 1.23 English version on the chinese hardware R4. It works.
During the 1.18 era, you need to patch the English firmware in order to use on the chinese hardware, now it works out of the box.

Only problem is, when u soft reset. It got back to R4 menu, but hangs there.

nonnonnon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Shaun66 (gbatemp admin) recently posted a news post whitch said that this is the new OFFICIAL r4 site. it was a collaboration between m3 and r4 teams. so is the above link or this link the official r4i site?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
linkenski said:
This unofficial firmware is slow, uglyer and just straight out horrible. I'd stick to 1.18. This freezes almost everytime i try to enable cheats. Almost freezes when i just enter the cheats menu. also the fontstyle looks like ass.

i don't cheat. anyways i find it loads roms in 1-2 seconds, the same speed as the old official r4 firmwares. after the save is made, it loads faster. do you really need to complain about a few seconds of loading? perhaps you should consider the fact that you are loading roms for free?

i fail to understand how it is "uglyer" when it is the same skin, responds the same way, looks the same way, works the same way? your grip is over font style? wow -- people will find the most trivial crap to point a finger at.

QUOTE(nonnonnon @ Jul 19 2009, 02:20 PM) Shaun66 (gbatemp admin) recently posted a news post whitch said that this is the new OFFICIAL r4 site. it was a collaboration between m3 and r4 teams. so is the above link or this link the official r4i site?

the r4rts is a m3 kit modeled after the r4, which uses the name and adds real time save. the r4i is a "clone," however that team is supporting the original r4ds with their firmware. the r4rts m3 team is not. i wouldn't call either the new "r4" official site. too bad the m3 team can't bring features into 1 cart, instead of tricking to public into spending more money on multiple products, each of which do 1 thing the other does not.

-another world

eadmaster

Trophies
Website
eadmaster.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
takagen said:
I just tried the 1.23 English version on the chinese hardware R4. It works.
During the 1.18 era, you need to patch the English firmware in order to use on the chinese hardware, now it works out of the box.

I confirm this.
gbasp.gif

It seems that "GBA ExpLoader" is not able to initialize the rumble pack.
blink.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
McDash said:
Yeah its slower than 1.18, and its always hangs. Take Note, I tried Final fantasy tactics, and its amazingly white screen of death

so you tested it on 1 rom and with that 1 rom you feel its "slower?" i tested it on 20 roms, 10 homebrews and moonshell, and i find the access speeds the same on my real r4ds gen2. i timed it using a stop watch, although not "that" accurate, and got about the same results.

-another world

datroubler

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Another World said:
McDash said:
Yeah its slower than 1.18, and its always hangs. Take Note, I tried Final fantasy tactics, and its amazingly white screen of death

so you tested it on 1 rom and with that 1 rom you feel its "slower?" i tested it on 20 roms, 10 homebrews and moonshell, and i find the access speeds the same on my real r4ds gen2. i timed it using a stop watch, although not "that" accurate, and got about the same results.

-another world
i had also the impression...
mario kart didn't started (on the original FW it worked also on YSmenu)
GTA:CW didn't worked

I formatted the microSD with vista: no changes
I formatted it with the Panasonic Formatter and Mario Kart worked, also GTA with softreset deactivated and Backup Cheat activated

i can use the "normal" cheat database

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
jincongz said:
Someone didn't mention that it uses a different save name. I'll stick with 1.18, thank you very much.

Ugh, are you serious?

Man, these folks didn't think this through at all.

I'll wait until this has been done properly.

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
Another World said:
McDash said:

-another world

Did I say I only tested it on 1 rom? I just said the FFT is not working, Its slower men, from opening the rom folder and sometimes it hangs in there. Why you defend this FW so much? you are starting to get annoying because everyone has a problem and you still babling about this and you always said its SAME from Official FW...

Granting without fully accepting its the SAME on V1.18, so what's with the update? this is not upgrade, this is downgrade because some working games before now has Amazingly has a white screen of death

By the way, stop quoting my message because I don't use or put this FW on my sd card.

Your always defending this FW, don't tell me your the only one is right and all the people who are complaining here are wrong

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
McDash said:

-another world

I'm sorry but you don't seem to be listening to people properly. The actual menus are slower, it's slower to scroll though entries in the list. Also, most people would agree that that the font is uglier. The official 1.18 firmware running on an official R4 does not allow the themes to be put straight into the system folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One day away from Juan's birthday