Hacking R4DS and R4DS III, same original dev group?

macbastard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"r4ds and r4ds3 were once the same company. there were 4 partners that split up. the r4ds3 partners took the software engineers with them. as you can see the r4ds has not had a software update since 4/2008 and the r4ds3 company has had updates since the split in may. you can see the r4ds3 software at www.r4dsl.net . the r4ds site has been shut down and no longer has support. do not fall for the propaganda from the forums that are owned by the old owners. judge for yourself, support for the r4ds3 has continued and the r4ds regular has died. why is that? its real simple , the r4ds no longer has support and they are in the process of finding support. the r4ds3 has had support and is continuing to expand."

So, someone I know got this response back from a site selling the R4DS III, when asked about their legitimacy.
Any thoughts?

Forget_the_Rest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest, that would be my thought.

If you were making a clone/fake/etc... of a product would you say as such or would you try to claim that you have the team working for you.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a load of crap to me. If you design something while working for a company, the company owns it. If you leave the company and start selling the item yourself they will hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with lawsuits.

Beyond that, the R4-III uses an unencrypted loader just like all the other clones. If it were really designed by the original R4 developers I'd expect it to have stronger encryption than the R4, not none at all.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sephiroth said:
SignZ said:
I wonder if that R4III fw is compatible to the normal R4 Revolution öÖ
It's probably encrypted, so chances are no

YOU CAN make it work on a REAL R4 with the R4/M3 patcher!!

but .......... it will be the same as the LATEST R4 kernel as they are using a cloned R4 kernel anyway! just rebadged as R4 III or R4 advanced everything is identical even down to the NOT RUNNING of the same games!!

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fat D said:
could be just propaganda spread by the cloners.
Exactly. I've tangoed with my fair share of counterfeiters and questionable business owners (for other products and not flashcarts) and they will all say what it takes for you to believe them. Many of their excuses are clever and well-thought out but you can never truly believe if what they say is fact or just another sales pitch. 99% of the time, it's a bluff that they hope you'll fall for.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lonewolf80 said:
can anyone check?

R4DS-III English firmware->Encrypted->Patched for Chinese Hardware
Confirmed starts, loads on genuine R4 Chinese cartridge. Haven't done any extensive testing yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work properly for anything I threw at it - just like encrypted and patched N5 firmware worked fine. With the separate file (presumably for SDHC compatibilty) this looks more like the n5 firmware than some of the other "clones" out there.

www.r4sdhc.com has firmware numbering that carries on from the old R4 numbers, with release dates for 1.19 and 1.20 of 2008-6-15 and 2008-7-19 respectively - plus, it's a monolithic kernel file rather than a kernel plus a mysterious add-on like the R4DS-III firmware. I've patched 1.20 and loaded it on my Chinese R4, I'll test it out further this evening, but with Hulk it displays "The save data could not be accessed. Please turn the power off and reinsert the DS Card." Funny, that, given that they claim that Hulk is one of the things fixed in that release. May just have to run a comparison of their 1.20 and 1.19 to see if they've actually made any changes at all.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Sounds like a load of crap to me. If you design something while working for a company, the company owns it. If you leave the company and start selling the item yourself they will hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with lawsuits.

Thats not always true. You can work for a company and have your own designs, but allow them to use it while retaining full rights. So if you leave, there's not a damn thing they could do. Hell you could sue THEM for continuing to use it without permission.

macbastard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This seems to be some sort of boilerplate response... because I've seen it verbatim in two separate places now... once as a supposed email response, and another as a cut and paste from "one of the main forums from the site director", whatever that's supposed to mean.

My initial reaction was that it's probably a lie, but I was getting accused of bias so I appreciate the second opinions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk