Hacking R4 w/ SDHC

SuperGeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can SDHC support be added to the R4 via a software update, or is SDHC a hardware thing?

I'm asking because I just purchased an R4, and SDHC looks really appealing to me.

-SG

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I dont know much about electronics, but i readed some discussion about that in other post, and someone who know about that stuff said, that it is matter of hardware not software.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far is I know, it is a software issue. I don't think it can be solved by just a firmware update. I think this is
why the R4 team is releasing an entirely new flashcard which will include SDHC support.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The R4 does not support SDHC. Only the new SDHC R4 will.

It's possible to add support through a firmware update (the M3 Team did this with their Slot-2 cards, for example) but the R4 firmware isn't upgradable (the new software you download are loaders which are loaded by the firmware).

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
The R4 firmware is a simple NoPass code that loads the _DS_MENU.DAT file (which is essentially just an encrypted .nds) from the microSD card. If it would be rewritable, support could be added, but it unfortunately isn't.

SuperGeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I can't believe this. I just bought an R4 DS and now I find out that the CycloDS is 100x better AND there's a SDHC version of the R4 coming out and the R4 team may discontinue the original version's support.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I can't believe this. I just bought an R4 DS and now I find out that the CycloDS is 100x better AND there's a SDHC version of the R4 coming out and the R4 team may discontinue the original version's support.

I don't think they will stop supporting the old R4. It will likely only be a minor hardware change to the new one to allow SDHC support. The firmwares may be universal between the old and new cards since the software has nothing to do with how it reads a microSD.

But I'm only speculating.

SuperGeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there's no chance there will be an update of any sort to let the current R4s use SDHC?

EDIT: Also, is there some sort of modification one could do to add SDHC support?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
They probably won't discontinue their support for the original version.
Still, you should've bought another cart, or at least the SDHC-version of the R4.
Just wait until you hear about the M3 Real
rofl2.gif

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yup, you're best off throwing your DS and R4 in the garbage now. Don't be tempted to have any fun with it. Keep the anger strong!! You can't put but 25 or 30 games on piddly 2GB card. That's not enough to get me through typing this post. Grrrr!
mad.gif

SuperGeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They probably won't discontinue their support for the original version.
Still, you should've bought another cart, or at least the SDHC-version of the R4.
Just wait until you hear about the M3 Real
rofl2.gif

Hear what about it? ...

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Umm.. No they won't..

If they can update the new SDHC R4, why not update the older version?

Is SDHC honestly that important to you? Seems like you don't even care about your R4 anymore.
tongue.gif

~Nero

SuperGeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Umm.. No they won't..

If they can update the new SDHC R4, why not update the older version?

Is SDHC honestly that important to you? Seems like you don't even care about your R4 anymore.
tongue.gif

~Nero

Meh, I am just now learning about different alternatives and I'm geting a bit irritated that I could've purchased something better.

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
i know how irritating paying for a flashcart that plays eveything 100% even if a few games need patching. WOW u must feel so ripped off that u bought a product that does exactly what it is supposed to do. Poor you. Lets all start a fund so supergeek can buy another flashcart which im sure he'll regret when something new comes along. I seriously am getting sick of the R4 bashing lately. Funny thing is everyone talks about cyclo this and cyclo that. But tell me where the hell are they even selling Cyclo that is actually in stick right now?

Here is something we should think about. When we buy electronics we KNOW that at some point it will become outdated and even obsolete. Thats the price you pay for buying something now. If you really want the best flashcart ever then wait 5 years for the DS to die and choose the best one out there.
Also the R4 is so damn cheap in price i cant believe any of you complain about not getting your money's worth.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i know how irritating paying for a flashcart that plays eveything 100% even if a few games need patching. WOW u must feel so ripped off that u bought a product that does exactly what it is supposed to do. Poor you. Lets all start a fund so supergeek can buy another flashcart which im sure he'll regret when something new comes along. I seriously am getting sick of the R4 bashing lately. Funny thing is everyone talks about cyclo this and cyclo that. But tell me where the hell are they even selling Cyclo that is actually in stick right now?

Here is something we should think about. When we buy electronics we KNOW that at some point it will become outdated and even obsolete. Thats the price you pay for buying something now. If you really want the best flashcart ever then wait 5 years for the DS to die and choose the best one out there.
Also the R4 is so damn cheap in price i cant believe any of you complain about not getting your money's worth.

This man speaks the truth.
bow.gif

SuperGeek, if you don't have a MicroSDHC or just don't care about any space higher than 2GB, don't get another Flashcart.
4GB MicroSDHCs go for $50+.. I hope that price is good enough for you.
tongue.gif

~Nero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up