r4 sdhc slow issue

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by phoenix_wrong, Aug 6, 2015.

1. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    I have recently bought the r4 sdhc dual-core 2015 edition and have noticed it is quite slow even on the menu... Its considerably slower at loading games and slowdowns in-game than my r4ds too... Is this normal? I'm using micro sdhc 8gb class 10 and I formatted it with sdformatter4 and used fat32. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!!

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yes it is normal.. thats why i never recomend that card

3. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    argg, I've heard it works "just fine" from people. I assumed it was going to be fine since my r4 worked great for years with no problems.

4. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    what r4 card would you or @anyone recommend :(

5. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    R4i Gold RTS 3DS from R4ids.cn. I had no slowdowns with that card and the Kernel is very fast.
    Are you sure that there are special in-game slow-downs with your card? I mean slow menu etc. are "normal" but I didn't experience any uncommon slowdowns during gaming with it.

6. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    hmm I'm not sure, I loaded up pokemon white and the intro is slow, and when i loaded up my save the loading screens between going to another area are long, like at least 5 seconds long, which may not seem like a lot but its not normal speed compared to it being nearly instant with r4ds.. and I know this microsd card is good because i have used it before with a dstwo i previously owned. could it be the formatting?

7. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You can try it. And I think that there is an option called "DMA" or so in the R4's menu which might improve speed but it might also have compatibility issues.

8. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    I tried to format it but it would only read fat32. I think I'll just have to return the cart, its loading times in-game are way too slow compared to my old cart.. & maybe try for the one you suggested (I'll make sure to do my research this time lol). Thank you for your help!

9. phoenix_wrong
    OP

phoenix_wrong Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    United States
    little update: peachds actually doesn't accept returns. however I tried a kingston 2gb micro sd and it worked smoothly with no slowdowns in game vs a sandisk 8gb class2 microsdhc... ehh? hmm oh well I'm glad to play ds games smoothly on my 3ds now :)