Hacking R4 or SC DS One

ChillyPepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I read the reviews but they seem to be outdated. Someone please offer advices. I want good homebrew compatibility and well, roms too.

*By the way, I already know the prices of both devices.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go R4. Pretty much all ROMs are compatible, just get a good MicroSD. They update firmware alot, it has a large user base so more skins, and is very easy to use.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
SC-DS1 is clearly better than the R4, it has many more features... theres no need to set mem speed or save sizes for a long time now.

It gets loads of updates but never needs them to fix games unlike the R4. The Sc-ds1 is also firmware updatable unlike the r4, so future sdhc support is likely.

Supercard team still support even their old slot-2 cards strongly today and have only just recently given them 'real time' cheats menu and 'real time' book/guide.. the SC-DS1 sports these too as well as multiple save slots and 'soft reset' back to menu on homebrew.. the r4 has none of this.

Also it can run Tony Hawks Downhill Jam properly unlike the R4 and has true 100% compatabilty..not just nearly like the R4.

Only thing to watch out for on the SC-DS1 is that it depends on a Japanese made mem card more so than the R4, but you should get one of these for either card anyway.

note.. 'real time' means you can access these features with a button combo anytime during playing a game.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I vote R4. There is no need to select save type, memory card speed or anything on the R4, unlike the SCDS.

you dont need to select the save type if you have the latest update
i say SCDS one because its a lot more customizable
the cheat system is great too
im waiting for mine to arrive

ChillyPepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Customisable? The DS1 does not check for save types.

What is this "Real Time" book/guide?

Can someone explain more features of the DS1.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
The SCDS uses the correct save type not a 512KB one that the R4 spews out every time. The real time guide is guide for a game you can use while you are playing that game in real time. The SCDS also has slow motion

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Seems interesting but I see most people recommend R4. Why is that?

because the sc-ds1 got off to a slowish start and the r4/m3s was cheaper they have massed the largest user base

Also the supercard name was debunked for such a long time even by this forums staff members with false accusations on it's slot-2 range (like eats your battery lies, poor support ect ect)... as you can see it still goes on today with the never ending false comments like "You have to select the saver size for every game"

btw.. i forgot to mention in my previous post about the sc-ds1 slow motion feature as another one r4 doesn't have.

ChillyPepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I see. So the DS1 is much better compared to R4?

Well, price is not a problem. I just want either an R4 or a DS1. Internet reviews favour R4 though but they seem outdated.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the biggest selling points of the R4 in my opinion is the fact that so many people have it. That greatly increases your chances of having almost any issue solved when you post on a forum like this.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have R4 and SC DS, and i only use the R4. I let my little brother borrow the SC DS.
True, SC DS has more features, but many roms just don't work with it when you trim them, and ALL my roms have worked on R4 when trimmed.
I like that the SC DS OS is based on moonshell, since then you can play dpg's without having to boot into moonshell. However, the trimming thing has annoyed me greatly, because then i couldn't fit as many roms on each MicroSD.

If i were you, I'd go for R4. Even though i have some weird problems with it that no one else with R4 has (DSOrganize crashes every time i try to go into the file browser, and tells me "Fatal Error! DSOrganize has run out of memory!" on the top screen after a few seconds.) I never had those problems with SC DS.

I haven't used my SC DS since before they added AR cheat support, so maybe they fixed the issue with trimmed roms. I don't know. I doubt it though.

Slow-motion sounds nice, but not really useful unless you want to make a game easier (which I'm against since it counts as cheating).
Fast-forward however is something they should have, to skip long and boring dialogs in RPG games and etc., too bad the DS CPU's can't handle it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing