r4 or ak2i?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by serenade.63, Mar 25, 2012.

Mar 25, 2012

r4 or ak2i? by serenade.63 at 10:41 PM (552 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. serenade.63
    OP

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So my ak2i recently crapped out, I do have an SCDStwo still, but I love the simple beauty of the akaio firmware, and acekard was such a nice card, but it was short lived because of contact issues... and a, well botched repair, so after much though ive narrowed my search to either replacing the ak2i and gambling on more contact issues, or going for one the many r4 variations with Wood firmware. So which one is superior after weighing the pros and cons, thoughts?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I say buy another AK2i. I've had one for a while now and it hasn't crapped out on me no matter how much I threw it around. The newer ones AFAIK don't have contact issues, or at least not a lot of them so there's no worry there.

3. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Buy an R4i Gold from here (cheapest, fastest, and most reliable option).

This will support Wood firmware, which has more frequent updates, slightly (albeit hardly anything) better compatibility, is easier to set up and does not have any contact issues (due to the lack of spring loader). It is also slightly cheaper than the AK2i if cost is your concern.

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the spring in the ak2i has nothing to do with the contact issue. the contact issue is because of the poor shell design and the pcbs that come poorly mounted. as a result the teeth on the pcb make poor contact with the pins in slot-1.

-another world

2 people like this.
  5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah the contact issue is the contacts between the cart and the DS, not the microsd.

6. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Sorry, I meant the issues people were having with it breaking due to the spring failing.
    Still R4i Golds don't have any of these issues.