Hacking r4 or ak2i?

serenade.63

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my ak2i recently crapped out, I do have an SCDStwo still, but I love the simple beauty of the akaio firmware, and acekard was such a nice card, but it was short lived because of contact issues... and a, well botched repair, so after much though ive narrowed my search to either replacing the ak2i and gambling on more contact issues, or going for one the many r4 variations with Wood firmware. So which one is superior after weighing the pros and cons, thoughts?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I say buy another AK2i. I've had one for a while now and it hasn't crapped out on me no matter how much I threw it around. The newer ones AFAIK don't have contact issues, or at least not a lot of them so there's no worry there.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Buy an R4i Gold from here (cheapest, fastest, and most reliable option).

This will support Wood firmware, which has more frequent updates, slightly (albeit hardly anything) better compatibility, is easier to set up and does not have any contact issues (due to the lack of spring loader). It is also slightly cheaper than the AK2i if cost is your concern.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
does not have any contact issues (due to the lack of spring loader).

the spring in the ak2i has nothing to do with the contact issue. the contact issue is because of the poor shell design and the pcbs that come poorly mounted. as a result the teeth on the pcb make poor contact with the pins in slot-1.

-another world

Reactions: 2 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I meant the issues people were having with it breaking due to the spring failing.
Still R4i Golds don't have any of these issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: McDonald's pizza was pretty good 🥰 +1