R4 keeps showing up as a white screen?

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
heya, everybody! I figured I'd ask this before I go insane. So recently I accidentally broke my R4's files and had to do it all by scratch again, and I lost a tonne of stuff, but to cut the cookbook-style rant; Every time I try to load a game, bar PKSEDS, it just goes into a white screen. It's just the games that aren't loading, as the menus and folders and everything else is working properly, it's just the games that aren't loading. I tried changing the game's "reset in game" thing to off, and I tried completely reformatting again. I'm starting to believe it might be the R4 software that's actually messing it up, instead of it being just kinda there. The R4 I have is an R4i Gold Pro. Many thanks in advance, everyone!

EDIT: Turns out, I had the wrong R4 data/kernel thingie! Many thanks for the help, everyone!! ;D

Last edited by IamDohnut,

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got a pic of the R4 card? There's many MANY variants, and they all work a little different.
not a picture of MY one, BUT! I do have a picture of someone elses that's exactly the same as mine!

EDIT: IGNORE THIS PLEASE! I DUNNO HOW TO DELETE POSTS

1678101601952.png

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Need to be more precise.
At the very least, the site is important, the marking of the year (or version) and similar trifles.
Sometimes even the color of the case and the presence of screws are important.
In especially severe cases, sometimes even the color of the PCB and the contacts form/traces are important.
Really.

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Need to be more precise.
At the very least, the site is important, the marking of the year (or version) and similar trifles.
Sometimes even the color of the case and the presence of screws are important.
In especially severe cases, sometimes even the color of the PCB and the contacts form/traces are important.
Really.
oh damn, is it THAT finnicky? alrighty, so I got pictures of both the front and the back. hopefully this helps!!1678102144550.png1678102236208.png

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If your flashcard has a website, download the kernel again.

Alternatively, use an "alternate kernel" like WoodR4 or YSmenu.

Something important to note, some flashcards will stop working after the DS has reached a certain date, so, change your DS's date vy going backwards a couple years and try your "official kernel" again: https://www.r43ds.org/pages/R4-3DS-Gold-Pro-Firmware.html

If everything else fails, alternative kernel is the way to go.

Just, make sure to replace files correctly in your SD.

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Something important to note, some flashcards will stop working after the DS has reached a certain date, so, change your DS's date vy going backwards a couple years and try your "official kernel" again: https://www.r43ds.org/pages/R4-3DS-Gold-Pro-Firmware.html

I'm gonna be honest; this all sounds SUPER scary to my dumdum brain. but thank you!
Post automatically merged:

OKAY! I went to your link you sent and tried to download a kernel. uh.. it's one of these now. what now?
1678103586736.png

Last edited by IamDohnut,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm gonna be honest; this all sounds SUPER scary to my dumdum brain. but thank you!
Post automatically merged:

OKAY! I went to your link you sent and tried to download a kernel. uh.. it's one of these now. what now?View attachment 357386
Hang on... first reply: Where did you got your kernel for the first time?
Kernel means "The files that makes the R4 work properly"

Did you downloaded the files?
Or your bought your R4 in "working state" (in a way to say you actually didn't downloaded and installed a kernel)

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hang on... first reply: Where did you got your kernel for the first time?
Kernel means "The files that makes the R4 work properly"

Did you downloaded the files?
Or your bought your R4 in "working state" (in a way to say you actually didn't downloaded and installed a kernel)
so I'm a bit of a grandma with an anxiety issue when it comes to electronics, so my friend who tinkers with this stuff more got me a kernel for it, so I'm unsure where he got it from. I bought it in working state but deleting a fuckin daffy duck game completely destroyed all the previous information, so I'm having to go from complete scratch.

1678104534913.png
here's that kernel file's name, btw.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so I'm a bit of a grandma with an anxiety issue when it comes to electronics, so my friend who tinkers with this stuff more got me a kernel for it, so I'm unsure where he got it from. I bought it in working state but deleting a fuckin daffy duck game completely destroyed all the previous information, so I'm having to go from complete scratch.

View attachment 357389 here's that kernel file's name, btw.
Well, it's scary the first time.
Just have in mind that it'll get easier overtime.

Unzip that file. Take a screenshot of the files that comes out from that ZIP.

I'm a bit rusty on this stuff, and screenshots might help with the process.

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's scary the first time.
Just have in mind that it'll get easier overtime.

Unzip that file. Take a screenshot of the files that comes out from that ZIP.

I'm a bit rusty on this stuff, and screenshots might help with the process.
on it! 1678105073820.png1678105092189.png

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bit blurry.
But will try to explain, if I recall correctly.

The folders contains files that the menu will show, for instance, background images, icon images (such as "back" or "options" or "load" icons) and the fonts and cheats folders should all be self-explanatory.

I don't recognize the other files, and the blurryness Is making it difficult to read proper names.
But the one with .dat is I presume, the kernel itself.

Make a backup of your SD's files (with the exception of your Games folder) and then copy paste all the files that came in the zip in the root of your SD. Try and report if it's working.

Might not because your files seems a bit sketchy, for instance, that .dll... 🤔

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bit blurry.
But will try to explain, if I recall correctly.

The folders contains files that the menu will show, for instance, background images, icon images (such as "back" or "options" or "load" icons) and the fonts and cheats folders should all be self-explanatory.

I don't recognize the other files, and the blurryness Is making it difficult to read proper names.
But the one with .dat is I presume, the kernel itself.

Make a backup of your SD's files (with the exception of your Games folder) and then copy paste all the files that came in the zip in the root of your SD. Try and report if it's working.

Might not because your files seems a bit sketchy, for instance, that .dll... 🤔
1678105627809.png
1678105611190.png

does this help? as for what you described, I'm pretty sure I've already done it. I completely reformatted the SD card and put all my stuff back.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Traces to contacts confuse me.
For example this one seems to be exactly the same cart, but still a little different (see image).
By the way, how big is the memory card? More or less than 2 GB?

Attachments

• 110258940.jpg
    110258940.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Traces to contacts confuse me.
For example this one seems to be exactly the same cart, but still a little different (see image).
By the way, how big is the memory card? More or less than 2 GB?
..what's a memory card? if you mean the SD card, it's 7.93GB.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
View attachment 357394View attachment 357392
does this help? as for what you described, I'm pretty sure I've already done it. I completely reformatted the SD card and put all my stuff back.
Yes, that helps.

Delete those files, they're not useful.
Do not use them as there should be a DS_MENU.dat file (the kernel itself)

I've been looking around and it seems the site that used to host your Kernel is no longer available: http://www.r4isdhc.com/KerneDownload/R4i-V3.9b English.zip

Yeah, last resort: Download YS MENU and copy paste the files in the root of your SD card. Try again and report back: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/YSMenu

IamDohnut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that helps.

Delete those files, they're not useful.
Do not use them as there should be a DS_MENU.dat file (the kernel itself)

I've been looking around and it seems the site that used to host your Kernel is no longer available: http://www.r4isdhc.com/KerneDownload/R4i-V3.9b English.zip

Yeah, last resort: Download YS MENU and copy paste the files in the root of your SD card. Try again and report back: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/YSMenu
that's scary, and I'm a bit of an idiot and might need a 50 step guide. sorry.. :c

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car