Hacking r4 in stock at modsupplier.com

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
At the price that is costs now, you would have to be mentally retarded to buy it over AK2, M3R, SC or CDS

The only customers that buy R4 now are Mums and people that are too afraid to venture into products their friends don't have.

And I'm not saying it because we are not stocking it anymore...we are. We have more money invested in the product than you could guess.

shane1972

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

I have 3 r4's in my home and the kids use them.
1 is spring loaded and has worked 100% for over 2 years now and the other 2 are newer.
The r4 could do with a gui update and an update to fix pokemon battle rev wii > nds connectivity and also sdhc support.
Apart from the above they are a gr8 reliable little cart.
Mod supplier has 131 of them.

Cheers

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i know they work, there is no denying that the R4 has been a great card.

I know how reliable they are, but look at the price buddy. then look at the price of the AK2....
Can you justify it...?

I would like someone to justify why you would pay more for the R4 over all these new great cards, then i will shut up
smile.gif

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzModChips said:
Yeah i know they work, there is no denying that the R4 has been a great card.

I know how reliable they are, but look at the price buddy. then look at the price of the AK2....
Can you justify it...?

I would like someone to justify why you would pay more for the R4 over all these new great cards, then i will shut up
smile.gif

As far as I'm concerned, SDHC support hasn't been that good or awesome as people try to put it.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
OzModChips said:
Its starting to get good as the price per GB for a 4gb card is cheaper than 2gb.
And soon 8Gb will follow....
1gb cards are hardly bought anymore.

there are still many reports of sdhc support and problems with the various cards that support it. everything from read/seek errors to the flash kit crapping out after a certain area (be it 3gig on a 4gig, or 7gig on an 8gig). the problems are being addressed and soon i'm sure sdhc will be the standard with the new generation of flash kits.

however, i don't agree the r4 is for "mums" at all. i can find them for as cheap as 45 with shipping. and the 2gb japanese msd's are down to 10-12 bucks all over the place. why carry 1 4gb sdhc when i can carry 3 2gb for around the same cost. they are as tiny as my thumb nail so there is no way space is an issue.

the r4 does what it says it will do and it does it very well. i see no reaason for people to bash it so frequently. some people just want to play roms, and they don't care about all the extra bells and whistles.

-another world

shane1972

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
OzModChips said:
Its starting to get good as the price per GB for a 4gb card is cheaper than 2gb.
And soon 8Gb will follow....
1gb cards are hardly bought anymore.

there are still many reports of sdhc support and problems with the various cards that support it. everything from read/seek errors to the flash kit crapping out after a certain area (be it 3gig on a 4gig, or 7gig on an 8gig). the problems are being addressed and soon i'm sure sdhc will be the standard with the new generation of flash kits.

however, i don't agree the r4 is for "mums" at all. i can find them for as cheap as 45 with shipping. and the 2gb japanese msd's are down to 10-12 bucks all over the place. why carry 1 4gb sdhc when i can carry 3 2gb for around the same cost. they are as tiny as my thumb nail so there is no way space is an issue.

the r4 does what it says it will do and it does it very well. i see no reaason for people to bash it so frequently. some people just want to play roms, and they don't care about all the extra bells and whistles.

-another world

Your correct another world.
The r4 is a gr8 card for the younger ppl who just want the simplicity to play roms.
Imagine telling the kids to press x,r,y,b,l,r to reset and have them remember.
Anyway i still love the r4 and now 1.18 has been released with rts lets just wait for sdhc support which i really think is available with a firmware update rather then hardware.

Cheers

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shane1972 said:
Anyway i still love the r4 and now 1.18 has been released with rts lets just wait for sdhc support which i really think is available with a firmware update rather then hardware.

Ummm, Shane... did you notice the release date from the changelog?

QUOTE said:
Update R4 v1.18 kernel 2008-4-1

That said, the things are rugged and reliable and that reliability is *easily* improved with a thin piece of card mounted internally. They're very good at what they do.

ozmodchips

No, I for one don't want you to shut up ozmodchips - you've got a valid point about the feature sets and the price which, taken by itself, is a real head-scratcher. It's a question that deserves to be asked, because people deserve to have accurate information at their fingertips.

So, I'll ask you a couple of questions then.

If I was looking for a replacement for the R4 with SDHC, what would you recommend? One key requirement is decent folder support, as I'm sure you can appreciate what a pain in the rear it would be to have to scroll through the 70-odd bits of shovelware you could fit on even a 2-gig card without folders. It doesn't need to have a menu exactly like the R4, and in fact I'm sure it won't, but the ability to quickly and easily navigate through a folder heirachy to select whatever I want to play at any particular sitting is a must-have.

Another key requirement is a case that's easily and safely openable, in the event that a shim is needed for a particular DS - that probably precludes anything that's glued or clipped together, based on my experience with the M3Real.

A third requirement is that the menu mustn't be overly-complicated - I'll use the M3Real as an example of what I'm *not* looking for.

(A fourth, extremely minor point might be the ability to customise the kernel to replace branding elements with things like "Billy's Cartridge" or "Laura's Cartridge" to reduce fights between siblings - that's something I've found handy with the R4 on occasion, and no, editing a BMP isn't as easy as a couple of minutes with a hex editor or a purpose-built tool like Injektor)

So, what would you suggest, given those requirements?

You mentioned "Mums" - well, let's expand that to include people who don't want the user interface to get in the way of the user experience. And let's further expand that by analogy - Macintosh Vs PC, Circa 1998. The Mac, for all its user-friendliness, was over-priced if you looked at it on purely technical and price grounds. Having to manually allocate more RAM for applications - ha, that's so Windows 2.0 - plus a whole lot of other annoyances that anyone who had to support both Mac and PCs could attest to. The flip side is, some of those very limitations actually turned out to be strengths from the user-experience perspective - most of the time stuff just worked on the mac, and if it didn't the rebuild process was dead easy. The UI was a little more "idiot proof", meaning that non-technical users didn't have as much of a learning curve and occasionally power-users found it getting less in their way than Windows did. Also, the build quality on Macs tended to be a little (a lot?) better than most of what was being sold in the Windows world at the lower price-points.

Now, let's get back to reality. We're talking about something that people will use for fun, at a price-point of about AUD50 to AUD70. A thousand dollars between a PC and Mac wasn't enough to dissuade people from buying macs, so do you really think it's appropriate to describe people who choose to spend AUD20 more for something that works the way they want it to as "Retarded"? Sure, the cheaper cards may do more and may be technically "better", but doing what the user wants *well* counts for a hell of a lot. I wouldn't describe anyone who purchased an R4 or even an EZFlash V as retarded for the same reasons I wouldn't describe most people who bought Macs as retarded.

The other thing is, price is very much governed by demand - as I'm sure you've noticed. Way back when, it was possible to get Chinese R4s for US$25 one-off including postage. Ah, those were the days. Several shortages later, and even in the midst of a flurry of clones, the best people seem to be able to come up with is about US$45 including postage. And they're managing to sell them at that, too. People want the things because they and their kids don't have to think too much about using them, and don't find the way they work inconvenient. People spend ages learning to program their phone, their VCR, their microwave... they don't want to have to think too much when they go to play a game, and the very simplicity of the R4 is its greatest asset.

I have an M3Real and a DSTT, and personally I tend to spend more time playing around with the more technical aspects of my DSTT these days. My family, however, would lynch me if I tried to replace their R4s with either of the other carts I own, and quite justifiably so - from their perspective, that of a user who just wants to easily select and use stuff from the menus, it would be a big leap backwards. They don't care about backing up save files. They don't care about SDHC - and no, I don't think the 4-gig SDHC cards are at the "sweet spot" price-wise yet for casual users or first-time purchasers.

So, *please* show me something else that fits *my* requirements, and those of most of my friends, and I'll gladly consider switching to it for future recommendations - I don't like the direction the prices have been heading, or the recent supply uncertainties, and I'm willing to look at anything on its merits. Until then I'll have to stick with the "Safe" choice, the "easy" choice, the one I know I can do something to so they'll never have problems with the cartridge not being recognised by the DS, the one I know won't confuse them with choices they don't give a fat rats clacker about. Sure, by purely technical metrics it's "inferior" and "overpriced" - just like the late '90's consumer and low-end business Macintoshes - but it's not *that* much more expensive and from a usability perspective for *basic* operations it's *very* hard to beat.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
arsehat said:
So, *please* show me something else that fits *my* requirements, and those of most of my friends, and I'll gladly consider switching to it for future recommendations

I only read drips and drabs.
But the AK2 does everything you want. Its not complicated to use at all.

I know $20 isn't much to you, but there are people that buy 20 off me at time.

I am being harsh with my choice of words but I have people emailing me saying

"I got my kids birthday in 1 week, and he wants the R4DS, should i wait"

Hell no you should not wait is my answer.

The AK2 is the fastest selling flash card we have never had, and it will kill R4DS off eventually.
R4DS is already half dead, half the retails won't stock it anymore. I have too much money that they already have, plus i have to cater to customers needs, customers like you, so we will still stock it for a little while longer.

Supply and demand is one thing, but increasing the price like they have done now is stupid. Its like a 2008 BMW announced at $250,000, and then toyota saying their 2006 camry is now $300,000, no upgrades, no feature enhancements. Who would buy the old toyota?

Its not about the price more than the idea behind it.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzModChips said:

How about the thickness, and cartridge fit? Any random contact drop-out issues, like those I've been shimming R4s for? I wouldn't want to have to do that with a clip-together cartridge (sorry - that must have been part of the requirement that you skimmed past).

QUOTESupply and demand is one thing, but increasing the price like they have done now is stupid.

Oh, agreed wholeheartedly - with the caveat that the fair market price for anything is whatever the market will stand. If the price goes up much further they'll have moved it beyond anything even *I* could justify buying the things at - I recognise that there's a difference between paying a sane premium for "preferred usability" and extortion. One could be forgiven for thinking they're trying to actually support the clone market by pricing the genuine article out of consideration.

Looks like I'll need to get an Acekard 2 to test. I know you're not planning on stocking them again, but the Edge looks really cheap now too - Bamboo Gaming have them with a (presumably no-name) 2 gig TF at about $45, and the DSTT is pretty damn cheap now too. The thing I don't like about the edge, though, is that nobody seems to have figured out the encryption yet and that precludes either cheat editing or stuffing around with direct-booting your own software (hell, right now two of the best of the cheap options for that appear to be either the DSTT or the R4 clones as neither use encrypted kernels). Not that that's a feature most of my friends would be interested in though...

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
arsehat said:
OzModChips said:

How about the thickness, and cartridge fit? Any random contact drop-out issues, like those I've been shimming R4s for? I wouldn't want to have to do that with a clip-together cartridge (sorry - that must have been part of the requirement that you skimmed past).

QUOTESupply and demand is one thing, but increasing the price like they have done now is stupid.

Oh, agreed wholeheartedly - with the caveat that the fair market price for anything is whatever the market will stand. If the price goes up much further they'll have moved it beyond anything even *I* could justify buying the things at - I recognise that there's a difference between paying a sane premium for "preferred usability" and extortion. One could be forgiven for thinking they're trying to actually support the clone market by pricing the genuine article out of consideration.

Looks like I'll need to get an Acekard 2 to test. I know you're not planning on stocking them again, but the Edge looks really cheap now too - Bamboo Gaming have them with a (presumably no-name) 2 gig TF at about $45, and the DSTT is pretty damn cheap now too. The thing I don't like about the edge, though, is that nobody seems to have figured out the encryption yet and that precludes either cheat editing or stuffing around with direct-booting your own software (hell, right now two of the best of the cheap options for that appear to be either the DSTT or the R4 clones as neither use encrypted kernels). Not that that's a feature most of my friends would be interested in though...

You can't put the clip together ones all in the same boat. The M3 Real ones where not that great, but ak2 has no issues so far.

We felt a little wrong stocking Edge - it was priced well, but we don't really like supporting software/hardware cloning too much. When they upped the price, we where not really interested. They have been bought out by a larger company, that we deal with all the time, so if all goes well it will be back soonish.
We sold 200 EDGEs and guess how many we got back? 0
The Ak2 is better though, the edge is just a boring version of the cycloDS

Anywho. If you wanted to try a AK2 this week, you can from us (we are running very low already though)
If you still think that the R4 is worth $15 or so more, or is 'better' regardless of price you can return the card for a full refund of the purchase price

no risk!

Goochee64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking at you site OZModChips I think you have the R4 listed a little more than extra $15, $1,000,000. Obviously that is the going price Hens teeth or rocking horse poo
smile.gif

Glad I got my order in with you earily yesterday for the Acakard2 since they are now sold out. Looking forward in getting them and setting them up. Just a little disapointed with the amount of information available on them at the moment. Or is it just that they are so easy to setup.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Goochee64 said:
Looking at you site OZModChips I think you have the R4 listed a little more than extra $15, $1,000,000. Obviously that is the going price Hens teeth or rocking horse poo
smile.gif

Glad I got my order in with you earily yesterday for the Acakard2 since they are now sold out. Looking forward in getting them and setting them up. Just a little disapointed with the amount of information available on them at the moment. Or is it just that they are so easy to setup.

Ohh i just put a million dollars so people would stock asking me about it. The price when it comes back will be about $70

I'm a little disappointed to in the AceKard2 websites chinese-ness...since most of the users now will be English speaking. I guess that is what GBA temp is for

But yeah, its easy to set up - http://www.ozmodchipsfaq.com/wiki/index.php?title=AceKard_2

Not totally sold out, just freaking out when we go a bunch of randoms buying lots of 20, and 15 etc today.
Did count after shipping today and there is about 60 or so left. Plus Acekard shipped batch 2 today, and will ship batch 3 next week!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER