Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if Korean releases have extra security measures (I doubt it, the roms seem to be bigger but isn't it because of the fonts? anyway)
But it appears that nobody was able to run 1151 Made in Wario (K) and have problem running other recent Korean releases stable.
It appears that failure to launch the game isn't TF memory's fault, nor some R4 units defective, AFAIK nobody was able to get it running (I mean, we aren't the only ones who use Kingston 1GB Made in Japan TF). Symptoms being whole screen turns white and doesn't proceed. I didn't try it myself, if all the people are whining about how R4 doesn't run Wario, why would I bother? I could prove them wrong if it works, but that doesn't change the fact that they fail to run, and I don't wanna be flamed for saying it actually runs.
I've heard NCard clone and SuperCard runs them perfectly well. Bummer.

Personally, I don't really care if it can or can't run Korean releases, but it seems people are making a big deal out of it in Korea. Especially numerous NCard clone users look down on R4 for its "disability". I can understand it because Nintendo Korea haven't released a lot of games (about a dozen now I bet?) and not being able to run one of them could be a big deal. But I'd say gosh, there are 1100+ games that run like it should.

But R4 team better be aware that Wario failed, and perhaps come up with a new kernel or something.

P.S. What the heck is Nintendo Korea thinking, "translating" Tetris DS into Korean, hmm
unsure.gif
I can only see it as they picked the easiest game possible to translate.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People were complaining some recent U/E releases didn't work on R4, Madden 07, Tennis and a few others. I don't know what happened with that, but based on circumstantial evidence I personally think the problem is from third party homebrew like R4 Commander or something...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
People were complaining some recent U/E releases didn't work on R4, Madden 07, Tennis and a few others. I don't know what happened with that, but based on circumstantial evidence I personally think the problem is from third party homebrew like R4 Commander or something...

What makes you say it was R4 Commander?

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know for sure that it was R4 Commander specifically. I'm pretty sure some R4 problems are with third party homebrew, as clean cards are known to work with the problem roms. It should be something popular, widely used and specific to R4. Thus I singled out, perhaps unfairly, R4 Commander.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest kernal update (1.09) to the R4 fixed Madden 07, Tennis and the few others.

My guess is any game that currently doesn't work will require an update from the R4 team so it can be on-the-fly patched to run.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You’ve got to keep in mind the R4/Simply has about 80% of the flash card market.
So if there’s any card the software companies will go after the R4 is it, no popular
card can remain 100%. But as the CycloDS Evolution & others take away R4 sales,
companies will go after them as well. But for the interface, speed, cost & over all use.
There is nothing that has come close to the R4 yet. Plus any problem will just get fixed
in the next update.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only major things the R4 hasn't got yet are
1. Automatic DLDI patching
2. No changing of the master cheat code
3. Not 100% download play support

And some more things it would be nice for them to have are
1. In-game cheat changing (SCDS1 has this)
2. In-game guide viewing (SCDS1 has this too)
3. In-game brightness changing (without a cheat code)
4. Slow-motion (I don't know if SCDS1 already has this)

- Sam

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Never tried Madden 07 or tennis, not a big fan of sports games (I'd rather just go out play it physically)
But 1.09 and clean card still fails this from what I've heard.

It's time for 1.10 with new Cheat DB =D
Go R4 team!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know for sure that it was R4 Commander specifically. I'm pretty sure some R4 problems are with third party homebrew, as clean cards are known to work with the problem roms. It should be something popular, widely used and specific to R4. Thus I singled out, perhaps unfairly, R4 Commander.

People had problems with those games just dragging and dropping the NDS files onto their card. Apart from trimming R4 Commander does absolutely nothing else to the game, and copying it on untrimmed leaves it untouched. You have to remember that while the R4 accepts clean roms, it doesn't run them clean.

It does on the fly patching like a couple of other people have already said, therefore if something doesn't run then it's the way the firmware is patching it. This kind of thing used to happen on the SNES all the time. Nintendo quickly got wise to the Magicom etc. units and changed the way the carts worked slightly, lots of stuff had to be patched before it would run on older units, and unless you have one of the most up to date units (Wildcard 2.0, UFO 8) there's alot of stuff that won't run (there's still a few that don't on any machine due to custom chips etc). It's probably some kind of protection or something similar going on here.

phen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just tried running 1151 on the R4; no white screens here, but it does display a message on the lower screen stating (from what I understand) that data couldn't be read, and that the card should be reinserted.
I don't know whether it's referring to save data or actual game data though.
On the EZ-Flash IV, however, I do get two white screens. I do wonder whether this game actually works on other flashcards ;).

On a sidenote, I also tried the last few recent Korean games (1152, 1098, 1079 and 1078) on the R4 with firmware v1.09, and they all worked like a charm...for the few minutes I tested them anyway.
Maybe the stability issues people have been reporting only occur after playing for a prolonged period of time? I'm not bored enough to find out, at least not for now ;).

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States

- Sam
and if cycloDS pull off the real-time save, then thats something that R4 will have to match...hell, everyone will have to match.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country

- Sam

The supercard has slow motion. Buy a SC-ONE if you want all that sinkhead
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk