Hacking R4 card for 3DS no longer working

Muffinlives

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've searched through the archives of this site and many others and tried several things to no avail. Hoping someone can help me... please keep in mind I'm a novice mom trying to get this to work for my daughter.

I purchased my R4 card for @$40 earlier this year. It came from www.r4i-sdhc.com and it has a truth inquiry sticker that seems legit. Reading some other posts the card seems to be overpriced???? If so, where is a good and legit place to get a new card (Q1)?

The card was working fine and then just stopped. It wasn't registering any card in the slot. My assumption is that my daughter did an update to the 3DS and it killed the card. There was only one game on the card - I'd been meaning to back up all her purchased games to the card so she wouldn't have to switch cards and lose or damage them.

I went to the site mentioned above and downloaded the latest Kernal which is v1.64b. I formatted the MicroSD card, loaded the new Kernal. Now, the DS shows a game is loaded (disney something) but when I select it, I get black screen than an error has occurred and I must power down.

Do I have any other options (Q2)? From what I read, it seems like I need to update the firmware but I can't figure out how to do that since it seems to be blocked.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Yeah that's way overpriced. A decent card nowadays can be gotten for ~$19 or so from an import store.
http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

2 - Updates do not kill carts or modify them in any way, they just make the 3DS refuse to start the cart (it'll give you a generic error instead of running it). You will need to find the update file for your cart and actually RUN IT (it comes in the same form as games), which means at this point you will need another DS to run it on (since your 3DS will not run the cart, you can't run the update on it). However your cart has not released an update, so your cart can't be updated right now.

3 - Either get a new cart, or wait (and the update might not ever come, especially since they made a new product with new compatibility built-in, this is generally a sign that the old ones will never be updated).

To stop this from happening in the future, keep the 3DS entirely offline (never give it internet access), turn off all automatic updates and downloads, and check new 3DS games (DS games are fine) before your daughter runs them because some of them will want to update the 3DS before they run.

tysonrss

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah when I got my 3DS for christmas it had an old ass firmware from July 2011, I wasn't going to update it but figured I might as well seeing as how I still have a DS plus DS games are ugly on 3DS from what I've seen. Basically, just about all flashcarts out right now will not work on the latest firmware for 3DS, I may have even wasted time getting my Acekard replacement since my old one worked just fine(on DS but was a clone).

Anyways, yeah doesn't surprise me it doesn't work. You can expect many flashcarts to be null and void on the 3DS soon if not sooner.

SilverArcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a R4i-sdhc 3ds asked for 40 bucks through the normal shipping way? i think you should have "searched through the archives of this " before you paid the bill. by the way, this flashcard has no update patch to 3ds v4.5.0-10 so far. the team releases a new generation R4i-sdhc 3ds flashcard which can work directly on the 3ds v4.5. News from www.r4i-sdhc.com says that they haven't abandoned the old flashcards and keep working on the update patch. please wait patiently
otherwise, you can purchase the new generation on http://shoptemp.net/shop/oz3ds.html with a price at $14

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol