Quick Ubuntu Question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hakoda, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Hakoda
    OP

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I have two hard disks, one SATA, another IDE. On the SATA I have Windows 7, on the IDE I have Ubuntu 9.10. The SATA drive is set to boot by default.

After installing Ubuntu, GRUB automatically installed itself on the first hard drive/MBR. This means GRUB booted whenever the SATA drive booted, I didn't want this. I wanted the Windows boot loader to boot Windows by default and GRUB to load when the IDE drive is selected. So I reinstalled the Windows 7 boot loader which wiped GRUB clean off the MBR so now Ubuntu doesn't boot.

I want to reinstall Ubuntu but how exactly do I set GRUB to install onto a partition of the IDE and not the first hard drive/MBR?

2. WhoRuJudge

WhoRuJudge No, Who Are You?

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    Do not have the SATA connected when you install Ubuntu/GRUB.
    disconnect the power or remove the data cable before you boot up into Live disc (assuming you are using a Live image to install linux)

3. Hakoda
    OP

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Oh cool, Thank you.

I'll just disable the SATA Controller in the BIOS which will disable the SATA HDD & DVD Drive so I'll be running off a Live USB which is fine.

Thanks again.

4. Hakoda
    OP

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I tried Ubuntu before but I couldn't remember why I didn't like it before. Now I remember.

The method of installation for programs is just plain complicated. I'll stick to Windows & Mac OS X.

5. flameiguana

flameiguana that's not me

Jul 12, 2008
    United States
    California
    Have you tried the Software Center?

6. Hakoda
    OP

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Yes I have but the concept of downloading software from a single place and not being able to download whatever I like from the internet directly is just a little different (I'll get used to it eventually). Like Firefox 3.5 is included in 9.10 but the latest Firefox 3.6 is released in tar.bz2 format. It took me a while to find out which Terminal commands exactly installed it for me. I have no trouble with Debian installers but not all software will be released like that. Don't get me wrong, its not hard to learn I'm just not used to yet.