Hacking Quick question on recovering for the bricker

Trel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this scenario, I already have flashme installed.
I now get hit with the bricker.

Do I need to short again to recover?

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so. You need to short it to write the recovery code. The bricker is not able to write it.

Dont worry about the bricker. I have activly looked for the bricker and I CANT find it.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding, you'd use the failsafe recovery code to boot your homebrew device, where you would run FlashMe.nds again to reinstall it. No shorting necessary.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
In this scenario, I already have flashme installed.
I now get hit with the bricker.

Do I need to short again to recover?

No.

If the percentage stops, then yes. Otherwise the progress percentage will fill up itself.

Wrong. The percentage won't stop as the protected area of the firmware hasn't been overwritten.

QUOTE(bfoos @ Dec 9 2007, 09:21 AM)I can't find it either. I wanted to do some recovery testing.

I wouldn't mess around with it. There's parts of the firmware that aren't meant to be erased

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded both the brickers. (Thanks for the link) I havent run any yet, but I have found that they are a harmless way to test Virus Scan programs.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, the DS Lites protect everything but the user settings underneath the SL-1 contact. Guess I forgot to mention that earlier.

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right, the DS Lites protect everything but the user settings underneath the SL-1 contact. Guess I forgot to mention that earlier.
Well that's no fun. I had to pull my battery while flashing to get a right proper brick. Recovery worked well. I had to encrypt flashme_noauto with r4enc and rename it to _DS_MENU.DAT in order to recover though. The R4 doesn't like to run .nds files when booted with the fail safe.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right, the DS Lites protect everything but the user settings underneath the SL-1 contact. Guess I forgot to mention that earlier.

Well that's no fun. I had to pull my battery while flashing to get a right proper brick. Recovery worked well. I had to encrypt flashme_noauto with r4enc and rename it to _DS_MENU.DAT in order to recover though. The R4 doesn't like to run .nds files when booted with the fail safe.

So you held select during the boot up and the new R4 'firmware' booted up? I didn't know that you could do that, I always assumed that you could only recover with a slot-2. Guess I was wrong.

Also - to anyone who flashed their lite with v8a_noauto, when I boot up my DS there is a fraction of a second where the screen is static. (it's garbled, seemingly-random pixels). Anyone else have this problem?

Trel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just learned that you most likely could use R4enc to make a temporary firmware on the R4 for flashing initially.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf