Quick question about the firmware update

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by air2004, Nov 24, 2012.

Nov 24, 2012
  1. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Do I need to register the wii u before I can do the firmware update ?
    The reason I ask is becasue I plan on reselling my wii u , and I thought as a favor to whoever buys it I could have the update already taken care of for them so when they recieve it , they will be ready to use it out of the box instead of having to waste 1-3 hours updating it.

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You mean through Club Nintendo? Yes, you can completely ignore that, and go with the update, so that whoever takes the console off your hands can go register it themselves.

3. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Thanks. Wasn't sure of I had to register it or anything like that in order to update it. Its currently sitting in my closet.

4. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if its new and unopened using it just to update the firmware will affect the resale value. i doubt having to update the firmware or not will affect anyone's purchasing decisions.

5. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    But on the other hand, if he opens it he can play around with it for a while too. That's worth it IMO. And maybe he'll decide he wants to keep it anyway.

6. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I was thinking about that too ( the resale value ) I figure I would put in the advertisement that I would be willing to do the update for the buyer if they like, and post links about how long it will take for the firmware update ( I think offering that to the customer might be a good selling point, but also may make people suspicious )

7. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I agree with what jefffisher said, if you want to make top profits when you sell it, it's better to sell it factory sealed and completely unused. As a buyer, I wouldn't care if it was updated or not, but it would bug me if the box had been opened before and still sold as new.

air2004 and Snailface like this.
  8. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Thats what I was thinking too. I feel the same way. I was only thinking of the parents who want to get it for their child and have it up and running for christmas.
    Do you all think I should even offer the the option of saying I will do the firmware upgrade for them , to save them time ?

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    In most cases, I'd agree with you on the last thing. However, with the wiiU only being out for a week in the US, it's not that big of a deal. I mean...it's still expected to be somewhat new no matter how much the owner has played with it.

Still, given the choice, I'd always choose unopened over not updated. :)

10. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Sure, why not? If the buyer wants to take your offer of updating the firmware, do it. But ask him (her) first, and most importantly, don't open the box until you actually sold the console.

11. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    Many of you don't seem to understand that most "logical" and"intelligent" people will want you to open the box and show them that there is an actual Wii U inside with all the accessories and parts needed to work. If someone is willing to pay for something from an individual without knowing what's in the box then they're either gullible or just plain stupid.