• Replies 3,809
  • Likes 6

pelverish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I got my wii just yestoday, moded and everything..
now I have afew questions
1)what do I need to know before starting to mess around with me Wii?
2)what are backups?
3) how easy dose a Wii gets bricked, how dose it happen, how can you fix it?
4) what should I avoid while messing around with my wii
5) it seems my wii cant play scrubbled games, what do I do? is it normal?
6) I got no idea what chip I got and if its even a chip or a softmod/softchip installing..
7) what is Wad?

thanks

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
pelverish said:
Hi, I got my wii just yestoday, moded and everything..
now I have afew questions
1) what do I need to know before starting to mess around with me Wii? Read Nabsters guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=173713
2) what are backups? Copies of original games. Many people make them to not scratch original discs, others use them to pirate stuff. Creating backups is considered illegal in many countries (even if its for own use)
3) how easy dose a Wii gets bricked, how dose it happen, how can you fix it? Just be sure that you know what you do and you should be fine. The unbricking method depends on the type of brick.
4) what should I avoid while messing around with my wii Wii updates and the format function of the wii
5) it seems my wii cant play scrubbled games, what do I do? is it normal? Can't play scrubbed games? Can it play backups overall?
6) I got no idea what chip I got and if its even a chip or a softmod/softchip installing.. So you don't know if its hard or softmodded? There is no real way to see it.
7) what is Wad? A container of Data that can be installed on the Wii. They usually contain IOS or Pirated VC/WW games (or other channels)

thanks

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rand0mher0 said:
Can someone link me to a guide that walks you through formatting a partitioned drive to WBFS, getting games on that partition, etc. for use with USBLoaderGX. i seem to be having issues with it, i have a 320 external, 200gb in one partition, 100 in the other, i want to format the 100gb to WBFS, and also the best tool (in your opinion) to reading the WBFS partition.
use a program called WBFS Manager 3.0 to format your hdd for your backups. you may want to just google this application and read tuts on their site.

Notyalc

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello all - I'm afraid I've got quite a few questions, mostly about backups & launching them.

So, before I start asking about the backups I thought I should ask about making sure my Wii can be de-bricked, if ever it does get bricked.

Y'see, I got Bannerbomb & softmodded my Wii a while ago, so I got the Homebrew Channel (which I got a few applications for i.e. DVDx, Mplayer etc.) & I've been getting VC/WW games through the WAD Managers (1.4 version seems to be the most reliable for me) & I've been quite happy.

Now, when I first installed HBC, I didn't set 'BootMii' to Boot2. So I was wondering - Is this worthwhile doing? More to the point, is it necessary for me - all I want from thie 'Bootmii' is assurance that my Wii will be able to be de-bricked, incase anything does happen.

Should I get Bannerbomb again & set Bootmii to Boot2?
Keep in mind, I've never seen BootMii in action & don't know how to even start it up - But, again, all I want is to be able to de-brick if I ever need to.

So, if I could be given some advice on this it'd be much apppreciated!

Now, I s'pose I should get on to my main point of writing then - Backups!

Firstly, I'd like to explain - a friend of mine (no, really - he's the one who helped me get into this homebrew etc, stuff to begin with) said he'd be willing to make backups on my behalf. Burning them onto DVDs & whatnot. Saves me a lot of trouble of backing up my games.

But anyway - he said something about some 'Gamma' launcher for Wii. Now I wouldn't know where to start on this, but he's away ATM, so I thought I'd ask on here.

I'd like to explain what I want out of backups BTW, here goes:

- I'd like to be able to have backups of both Wii & GC games (Is this possible from one launcher?)

- I'd like to be able to launch them like normal games - through the disc channel (I won't be having multiple gc games on one disc BTW) & out of curiousity, will I still be able to do the usual 'Home' button's menu mid-game?

- I wouldn't mind being able to have the GC gamesaves on an SD - It's not important, but it'd be quite useful as I've currently lost my Ol' GC Memory Card (I'll find it - don't worry).

Hmmm, that's actually about it I think.

Yep - Just want to be sure my Wii can be de-bricked if I ever need it, & my Wii can do both GC & Wii backups!

I look forward to your replies!

I hope you can help me out.

Thanks for reading (& helping me)!

RustyScrew

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
when i use gc backup loader xi, my multiboot game runs fine (besides a saving problem) but when i run gc backup loader 2.0, the screen starts to flicker in the screen where i choose which mode to use for launching the game, and it is in black and white.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Notyalc said:
Hello all - I'm afraid I've got quite a few questions, mostly about backups & launching them.

So, before I start asking about the backups I thought I should ask about making sure my Wii can be de-bricked, if ever it does get bricked.

Y'see, I got Bannerbomb & softmodded my Wii a while ago, so I got the Homebrew Channel (which I got a few applications for i.e. DVDx, Mplayer etc.) & I've been getting VC/WW games through the WAD Managers (1.4 version seems to be the most reliable for me) & I've been quite happy.

Now, when I first installed HBC, I didn't set 'BootMii' to Boot2. So I was wondering - Is this worthwhile doing? More to the point, is it necessary for me - all I want from thie 'Bootmii' is assurance that my Wii will be able to be de-bricked, incase anything does happen.

Keep in mind, I've never seen BootMii in action & don't know how to even start it up - But, again, all I want is to be able to de-brick if I ever need to.

Firstly, I'd like to explain - a friend of mine (no, really - he's the one who helped me get into this homebrew etc, stuff to begin with) said he'd be willing to make backups on my behalf. Burning them onto DVDs & whatnot. Saves me a lot of trouble of backing up my games.

But anyway - he said something about some 'Gamma' launcher for Wii. Now I wouldn't know where to start on this, but he's away ATM, so I thought I'd ask on here.

- I'd like to be able to have backups of both Wii & GC games (Is this possible from one launcher?)

- I'd like to be able to launch them like normal games - through the disc channel (I won't be having multiple gc games on one disc BTW) & out of curiousity, will I still be able to do the usual 'Home' button's menu mid-game?

- I wouldn't mind being able to have the GC gamesaves on an SD - It's not important, but it'd be quite useful as I've currently lost my Ol' GC Memory Card (I'll find it - don't worry).

Yep - Just want to be sure my Wii can be de-bricked if I ever need it, & my Wii can do both GC & Wii backups!

your question on bootmii: yes you must install bootmii even only as an ios because only through bootmii that you could backup your wii's nand. but along with the installation of bootmii only as an ios, you must also install preloader so that you could access the homebrew channel in case of a brick by holding the reset button while powering on the wii (just read the preloader instructions).

your question on backup disc: you could run backup disc on neogamma or gecko os. but i do suggest to use neogamma. this is only possible for single burned games. for multiple wiigames you need to use an application called multiboot which is bundled with wiiscrubber 1.4. you could also burn multiple gc games in one disc using the gc multigame iso creator. i use this apps which is bundled with the wiitools 1.5.

your question on running backups on the disc channel: you may need to install cioscorp at the latest 3.4. but i do suggest to wait for 3.5. but just a word of caution...many people have brick issues on this because it changes most of the ios in your wii. but as long as you follow instructions correctly you'll be fine. but i do suggest that you stick with neogamma by wiipower for running backups to avoid the risk. but on my case i have cioscorp3.4 and runs smoothly. still up to you to decide but better read read and read before messing up your wii
smile.gif
backup your nand with bootmii.

your questions on gc saves: i personally doesn't use gc games much but saving gc games is through the gc memory card. but there is a homebrew app wherein you could transfer and manage your gc memory card saves to the sd card if i am not mistaken.

hope this helps.
smile.gif

@rustyscrew: usually this happens due to conflict in video modes between your wii and the game you run on your wii. check on your settings.

RustyScrew

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
razorback78 said:
@rustyscrew: usually this happens due to conflict in video modes between your wii and the game you run on your wii. check on your settings.
which settings?
i've tried every mode in 0.2.
XI runs it fine on auto select/adjust/whateverthefuckitscalled

R8IaSrs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Neogamma R7 and I'm fairly sure it's working, no more error (needs ___) when it starts up. So it's working, but it couldn't find my formatted hardrive... I'm now left to buy a new one, since burning a backup seems like going to las vagas. So what USB stick, or cheep SD card can I buy where I can FOR SURE run my backups.

drguevara

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I finish a game and I press the home button, press Wii Menu, and then press OK, to return to wii menu, the screen goes black and it doesn't go back to the Wii Menu. The screen just stays black. This only happens with some games (not all games). I have cios 249 rev 14 (waninkoko) cios 222, 223 y 203 (hermes) this happens with usb loaders, launchers, I try everything and cant fix this. please help me.
[email protected]

Majroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rock Band: The Beatles gives a black screen when I try to boot it with Wiiflow.

I use cIOS 222, NTSC RockBand: The Beatles and a PAL wii.

Can someone help me?

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RustyScrew said:
razorback78 said:
which settings?
i've tried every mode in 0.2.
XI runs it fine on auto select/adjust/whateverthefuckitscalled
maybe you mean auto detect...check out this thread of wiigator about your question: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=134170

try also using neogamma by wiipower. this launcher is for wii and gamecube as well.

ColdSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well... Is it safe to install original games to HDD using Configurable USB Loader? It doesn't hurt the original disc?

I heard you should never install original games to HDD, so now I'm worried.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ColdSkull said:
Well... Is it safe to install original games to HDD using Configurable USB Loader? It doesn't hurt the original disc?

I heard you should never install original games to HDD, so now I'm worried.
definitely yes my friend, it is safe to install. why would your original disc be hurt??? scratched???definitely no. erased???c'mon your original cannot be overwritten.
smile.gif

Notyalc

Trophies
XP
Country
razorback78 said:
Notyalc said:

your question on bootmii: yes you must install bootmii even only as an ios because only through bootmii that you could backup your wii's nand. but along with the installation of bootmii only as an ios, you must also install preloader so that you could access the homebrew channel in case of a brick by holding the reset button while powering on the wii (just read the preloader instructions).

your question on backup disc: you could run backup disc on neogamma or gecko os. but i do suggest to use neogamma. this is only possible for single burned games. for multiple wiigames you need to use an application called multiboot which is bundled with wiiscrubber 1.4. you could also burn multiple gc games in one disc using the gc multigame iso creator. i use this apps which is bundled with the wiitools 1.5.

your question on running backups on the disc channel: you may need to install cioscorp at the latest 3.4. but i do suggest to wait for 3.5. but just a word of caution...many people have brick issues on this because it changes most of the ios in your wii. but as long as you follow instructions correctly you'll be fine. but i do suggest that you stick with neogamma by wiipower for running backups to avoid the risk. but on my case i have cioscorp3.4 and runs smoothly. still up to you to decide but better read read and read before messing up your wii
smile.gif
backup your nand with bootmii.

your questions on gc saves: i personally doesn't use gc games much but saving gc games is through the gc memory card. but there is a homebrew app wherein you could transfer and manage your gc memory card saves to the sd card if i am not mistaken.

hope this helps.
smile.gif

So does this change a lot of the Wii all in all?

If that's the case - I think I'll wait.

Perhaps if there was some easy way I'd do it.

Am I safe without Bootmii at the moment? I've got the HBC & I install WADs for WW/VC (I've also got a few Applications on the HBC too) & that's all really.

Would I be safe without Bootmii?

Also, - could you give a quick explanation of what Bootmii is & does, & also, how to work it?

ColdSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
razorback78 said:
definitely yes my friend, it is safe to install. why would your original disc be hurt??? scratched???definitely no. erased???c'mon your original cannot be overwritten.
smile.gif

Thanks a lot! Yeah, that was a stupid question, but now I'm relieved. Thanks.
smile.gif

Dazwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dazwa said:
I recently added a USB loader to my Wii, but each one I try seems to be having the same problem with games. They'll load the strap loader screens, but as soon as it hits that games respective loading screen, it'll loop forever (In Brawl's case, it was an infinite rotating Smash logo with "NOW LOADING....," with WiiSports's case, it just caught on a white screen). I know the hard drive I'm using (A 250 gb Seagate FreeAgent) works with both the USB loader I'm using and the game I'm attempting to play, because I bought it off a friend who was using it for this very purpose. Any idea what's wrong?

EDIT: I've tried this with USB Loader GX (the loader my friend used), SDUSB Loader 1.5, and WiiFlow, all of which hit the same problem.

quoted since I've gotten no answer yet.

k4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Wii two days ago, and I plan to buy an external hard drive and download the required programs in order to play wii isos.
I have been researching on the web about the difference between using burned dvd games and using an external hard drive for playing them. They say that since the Wii reads data faster than a dvd, then the dvd copies will be read "slower". What does this mean? More loading times? Slowdown during gameplay (maybe when there are too many objects on the screen)?
Most people recommend using an external hd because its more practical. I bought the wii because I want to play games on it via online/wifi, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't have any problems by playing with an iso instead of the original game. Also, it seems most of the wii isos available for download are the PAL version, and not the NTSC-U. Will this be of any concern (maybe when playing online)? And also, it looks like the isos available for download are cutted into small files that then one has to assemble. Does this affect the gameplay in any way? Like Im playing Zelda and when I get to the point where one file "merges" with the other, sometimes the game freezes or some other funny thing happens?
By the way, what about the quality of the game? I have a DS Lite with an acekard 2.1, and the games it has inside are same quality as the original ones ... no difference at all, so I want to know if that will be the case for the wii.
Thx in advance for any feedback left. =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols