Homebrew Questions regarding .cia files and regions

kanekils

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this might have been answered already but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions so I'm posting this thread in hopes it can be answered. I have a Japanese 3ds installed with the recent Luma cfw and I have questions regarding .cia files:

When a .cia file states that it is region free but has a region in the title, is it actually region free? For example, I'm planning to get Pokemon Y on my Japanese 3ds and it says Pokemon Y (USA) Region Free.

Can I play online with a region free cia game? Will I be able to play Pokemon Y online with the USA region free on my Japanese 3ds? Will there be a high risk of ban?

Sorry for the weird wording and all, I'm very new to all of this cfw scene. Thank you!

Lunar_Magika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my understanding, homebrew allows region-free gameplay, so it should work (can't test tho as I have a USA 2DS and I'm not going deeper into "piracy land" than I already am, if it doesn't work try a Japanese ROM instead, risk of ban, IDK, but disconnections WILL happen, online should also work fine.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this might have been answered already but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions so I'm posting this thread in hopes it can be answered. I have a Japanese 3ds installed with the recent Luma cfw and I have questions regarding .cia files:

When a .cia file states that it is region free but has a region in the title, is it actually region free? For example, I'm planning to get Pokemon Y on my Japanese 3ds and it says Pokemon Y (USA) Region Free.

Can I play online with a region free cia game? Will I be able to play Pokemon Y online with the USA region free on my Japanese 3ds? Will there be a high risk of ban?

Sorry for the weird wording and all, I'm very new to all of this cfw scene. Thank you!
CFW's have region free patching built in. Going online is a bit fishy, definitely a way to get banned but can work for a few games. Also, regions are given as often certain region games will only have certain langauges, as well as online issues.

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
I have another question regarding .cia now that the Freeshop has been closed for a while. There's now way to tell beforehand if a .cia is legit or not, like can the .cia file contain files that would corrupt your 3DS?

whywhy2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another question regarding .cia now that the Freeshop has been closed for a while. There's now way to tell beforehand if a .cia is legit or not, like can the .cia file contain files that would corrupt your 3DS?
you can try install cia on citra emulator, if it doesn't work or if there's some error pop up then you may be have a bad cia. but from what i know, FBI could detect if the cia is bad or not so it wouldn't install if the cia is corrupted (i never have this problem before but if this happens to me, this is what i'm gonna do).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cia files may have a checksum to verify integrity just like pkgs on the ps3. that's possibly one way to know if the cia is bad or corrupted. on the wii u and the ps3 (at least), content is installed to special folder (import on the wii u, and folder with date on the ps3), so it probably deletes the install if it errors as the game isn't located in its final destination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits...