Homebrew Questions regarding .cia files and regions

kanekils

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this might have been answered already but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions so I'm posting this thread in hopes it can be answered. I have a Japanese 3ds installed with the recent Luma cfw and I have questions regarding .cia files:

When a .cia file states that it is region free but has a region in the title, is it actually region free? For example, I'm planning to get Pokemon Y on my Japanese 3ds and it says Pokemon Y (USA) Region Free.

Can I play online with a region free cia game? Will I be able to play Pokemon Y online with the USA region free on my Japanese 3ds? Will there be a high risk of ban?

Sorry for the weird wording and all, I'm very new to all of this cfw scene. Thank you!

Lunar_Magika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my understanding, homebrew allows region-free gameplay, so it should work (can't test tho as I have a USA 2DS and I'm not going deeper into "piracy land" than I already am, if it doesn't work try a Japanese ROM instead, risk of ban, IDK, but disconnections WILL happen, online should also work fine.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this might have been answered already but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions so I'm posting this thread in hopes it can be answered. I have a Japanese 3ds installed with the recent Luma cfw and I have questions regarding .cia files:

When a .cia file states that it is region free but has a region in the title, is it actually region free? For example, I'm planning to get Pokemon Y on my Japanese 3ds and it says Pokemon Y (USA) Region Free.

Can I play online with a region free cia game? Will I be able to play Pokemon Y online with the USA region free on my Japanese 3ds? Will there be a high risk of ban?

Sorry for the weird wording and all, I'm very new to all of this cfw scene. Thank you!
CFW's have region free patching built in. Going online is a bit fishy, definitely a way to get banned but can work for a few games. Also, regions are given as often certain region games will only have certain langauges, as well as online issues.

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
I have another question regarding .cia now that the Freeshop has been closed for a while. There's now way to tell beforehand if a .cia is legit or not, like can the .cia file contain files that would corrupt your 3DS?

whywhy2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another question regarding .cia now that the Freeshop has been closed for a while. There's now way to tell beforehand if a .cia is legit or not, like can the .cia file contain files that would corrupt your 3DS?
you can try install cia on citra emulator, if it doesn't work or if there's some error pop up then you may be have a bad cia. but from what i know, FBI could detect if the cia is bad or not so it wouldn't install if the cia is corrupted (i never have this problem before but if this happens to me, this is what i'm gonna do).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cia files may have a checksum to verify integrity just like pkgs on the ps3. that's possibly one way to know if the cia is bad or corrupted. on the wii u and the ps3 (at least), content is installed to special folder (import on the wii u, and folder with date on the ps3), so it probably deletes the install if it errors as the game isn't located in its final destination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM