Questions on PMPlayer

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ravte, Sep 2, 2011.

Sep 2, 2011

Questions on PMPlayer by Ravte at 6:49 PM (2,181 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Ravte
    OP

Member Ravte GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Hiya guys, been a while huh? [​IMG]

This time I'm having troubles running movies on PMPlayer. The app/prog doesn't recognize most of my movies (only 1 so far) eventho they're almost all either in .avi or .mkv. I'm running the latest update for PMplayer. The only movie to even show up is in .mkv format and even then I can't play it (I press O to start the movie, the screen goes black with "LOADING" but then it comes right back to the folder browsing screen, resuming or re-starting doesn't help at all). I think I read somewhere that .avi should work in PMplayer. I also tried some youtube vids .flv format ones, but they didn't work either. (wouldn't show up at the menu)

I've done no modifications to the configs found by using the SQUARE button and after googling for 5 minutes I haven't found a single guide for this to check if I just need to do some modifications to the configs, so I'm asking you guys about it rather than going mashing buttons on things that I don't know what they'll do.

If there's anything else you'd like me to specify, feel free to ask.

PS. My PSP - 3004 PB 0,9G with 6.60 B9 temporary.
    How I installed PMplayer - Just extracted the files I got from the homebrew list here in GBAtemp and dropped them down to the ms0/PSP/Game + I've placed the movies in the ms0/VIDEOS - but it shouldn't matter, right?

Off-topic: recomend me a movie(having hard time filling up my memory card and wasting/spending my free time [insert foreveralone.jpg] xD) No horror pleaseeeee, pretty much everything else goes.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The container format (AVI/MPG/MP4/MOV) is only part of the video's type.

• Container
      • Video Codec
        • Resolution
        • FPS
        • Bitrate
      • Audio Codec
        • Channels
        • Sampling Frequency
        • Bitrate

If any of those parts is "out of bounds" for a specific player, then the video file won't play on the player (or will play with a lot of issues if you try to use it in a video editor), even if it's of the correct container type. When you use a converter for a specific platform (such as for the PSP or DS or ipod) or to a specific format, it doesn't convert just the container, it formats every part of the video to certain specifications so it'll play properly, which is partially why it takes so long to convert.

Even though PMPlayer can play more than the default PSP player, there's still lots of limits compared to a PC simply because of the much weaker hardware of the PSP.

3. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Blah, eventho I understand jacks***t about all this tech stuff, I get your point.

Too bad tho since my comp has only 40GB of space for me to fill up, and I'm only getting to about 15GB on my 32GB card with games alone + I just bought an audio splitter for the PSP so I could've watched a movie with my friend on the buss with two sets of head phones.

Are there any ways to convert the videos in that way that they'll work on PMPlayer?

4. Rydian

United States
    Yes, there's a few converters for the PSP, but I forget offhand which ones have PSP presets (to set the right resolution and such), wait for other suggestions.

5. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    I think WinFF does PSP converting

6. shadow100z

Member shadow100z GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i use XviD4PSP 6.0

7. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Gonna look into that more tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

Hope it'll be an easy to use program, I've had a long history hassling with these converters. xD

8. Rydian

United States
    If you're looking for easy-to-use, WinFF is.

1 - Drag file into WinFF.
    2 - Select PSP preset.
    3 - Click the convert button.
    4 - Find the converted copy in the folder it shows right below that

9. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Odd, tried the latest and an older version of WinFF but everytime I try to open the program it gives me an error saying:
    "Unable to create file ""´, press OK to ignore and risk data corruption or cancel to kill the program"

wassup with that?

PS. Give me an estimate how long it would take to convert an movie, lets say around 700mb?

E* seems to be an common problem, something to do with cyrillic letters I read. Oh well....gonna give the other converter a try then.

10. Rydian

United States
    What language is your OS?

The conversion speed depends on the video file itself (even two files with the same filesize could be compressed a variety of ways), and your computer's specs (it's mainly CPU-dependent), and the video length and crap... best estimate would be 10 minutes to two hours.

11. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Finnish OS : < so we got these ö,ä,å >.

12. Rydian

United States
    Well I don't know why WinFF wouldn't be working then.

13. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Tested out Xvid4PSP and after installing it, it froze, I exited the program and noticed that I can't find where it's been installed. Eventho I tried to re-install and check out the folder it'll go to after being installed, but I still couldn't find that folder were it was supposed to be installed. Maybe my anti-virus system messed it up, since I installed it in a sandbox?

Are there any other converters I could use for this? Excluding WinFF and Xvid4PSP which don't seem to be working for some odd reason. :

14. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Did you use the XviD4PSP 4 or 5 release series rather than the latest releases?

15. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Damn, deleted the installer already. But as far as I can remember, it was either Xvid4PSP 4 or 5.

PS. Does it matter if it's installed in a sandbox or not?

16. xist

United Kingdom
    If you followed all the newest posts it was probably the latest line which is 6.xx i believe

I'd think you'd probably do better installing out of a sandbox. Any reason why you did it that way?

17. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    For the sole reason people use sandbox?
    Don't get me wrong, it's not that I got anything against this particular program(mmers) but I've had my share of shady converters and one of them already costed my PC back in the days. (Troijan with keylogger - got all my pw's and messed my emo, and yes it bypassed my antivirus and firewall)

E* I'll test out the 6.03 version and see if it'll work. I'll come back to update the results.

E2* So the program works now, but now I'm wondering what kind of file I should convert my movies into? Seeing as Pmplayer runs more than one format, which one's "the best"?

E3* Wow, 10hours to convert Dark Knight to mp4 format! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] All thanks to my Intel Celeron CPU 2.6GHz (503mb RAM)

18. xist

United Kingdom
    I'd probably recommend the last in the 4.xx series....(something like 4115)

19. Ravte
    OP

Finland
    Why an older version? Would it be faster in converting Dark Knight than 6.0.4 with 1d 3h 28m?

E* Damn I'm stupid, I'm encoding the file from my PSP directly...... of course the converting will be faster when I convert it directly in my HD. >.<

E2* Found an alternative solution....instead of converting the videos myself, I decided to download them already in a format suitable for the PSP. Altho the selection is narrower, I can still watch my classics (Saving Private Ryan, The Legend of The Drunken Master