Questions about unknown LCD screen

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took apart some old junk machine found in the trash for scrap, and found a touchscreen LCD. My questions are, if anyone knows, how can I power it and how do I connect it? The display adapter is 15 pin, but it's not VGA. It's just a generic 15 pin connector. There is a 3 pin connector with 2 wires going to it, I'm assuming that's the power cable. The ribbon cable is almost definitely for the touch screen. Any ideas how to use this for something else? If it's possible to rewire the 15 pins to VGA? Or is it a different format? Any information on this could help.
20170629_151714.jpg

Last edited by Biovirulent,

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: The pinout on the motherboard of this machine seems to only use 12 of the 15 pins, but I don't have any idea of which pin does what.
I've looked this kind of thing up, and the same kind of adapter that only has 12 pins can be converted to VGA, but this has 15 with seemingly 3 of them being inactive.
The pins, going down from the list on the motherboard read:

E294
E295
E299
E302
Nothing
Nothing
E304
E305
Nothing
E306
E307
E308
E309
E310
E311

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Took apart some old junk machine found in the trash for scrap, and found a touchscreen LCD. My questions are, if anyone knows, how can I power it and how do I connect it? The display adapter is 15 pin, but it's not VGA. It's just a generic 15 pin connector. There is a 3 pin connector with 2 wires going to it, I'm assuming that's the power cable. The ribbon cable is almost definitely for the touch screen. Any ideas how to use this for something else? If it's possible to rewire the 15 pins to VGA? Or is it a different format? Any information on this could help.
View attachment 91762
The Raspberry Pi uses a DSI connector for connecting displays, which is also 15 pins. Maybe the screen you found is using the DSI standard?

Reactions: Biovirulent

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Raspberry Pi uses a DSI connector for connecting displays, which is also 15 pins. Maybe the screen you found is using the DSI standard?

Sounds promising, it's the most progress i've made so far figuring this out. But the pictures i've seen, the DSI display seems to use a flat ribbon cable rather than this connector.
If that really is it, though, the tough part is still figuring out what each pin is what.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, anyway, I'm interested in hearing your progress.
I know there are many other standards for LCD screen connectors that I've heard of in the past, but I'm having a hard time finding them on Google.
It might be an unique connector designed for just that one device, but that's unlikely, since LCD displays are rarely custom designed for just one device, they're mass produced and sold to whoever wants them and it's up to the manufacturers making the systems to implement the connectors the LCD display requires, not the other way around.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, anyway, I'm interested in hearing your progress.
I know there are many other standards for LCD screen connectors that I've heard of in the past, but I'm having a hard time finding them on Google.
It might be an unique connector designed for just that one device, but that's unlikely, since LCD displays are rarely custom designed for just one device, they're mass produced and sold to whoever wants them and it's up to the manufacturers making the systems to implement the connectors the LCD display requires, not the other way around.

Yeah, that was my thought process as well.
I've been trying to take apart the motherboard piece by piece to get a look at the underside and see if it says anything useful. I've been having trouble though, with strange sized nuts and bolts and stripped screws.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Got a look at the backside, but I won't know anything about it without the schematic. The pins on the back are named:

C253
C320
C109
C321
C110
Space
FB19
C322
C323
C324
C235
C326
C327
C328
C329

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I clean in a hospital. They threw away a machine that apparently wasn't working anymore.
It was a DCA Analyzer.
So it looks like that you can use the Digitizer for other things , Like use a Teensy a redirect to mouse inputs.

the screen is more or less a lost cause, Screens like those are made for one thing usually, and reverse engineering isn't worth the time or money, because you could probably buy a new one with the money it will cost to reverse engineer it.
But thats my opinion on the screen, if you get it working let me know

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1