Questions about switching from .3DS to .CIA

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by LieutenantPie, Feb 22, 2015.

1. LieutenantPie
    OP

LieutenantPie Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    I've had a gateway 3DS for a while and haven't gotten around to updating it until now. I know it allows you to install .CIA files now, which from my understanding basically just go on the SD card in the 3DS instead of the gateway card. Also I know that the gateway cartridge itself is used to boot into gateway mode, but if the only files on the microSD are games, do I even need one for it to boot correctly? And before I decide whether to switch all my .3DS files to .CIA, if I have a game in .CIA format will it still work with the save data I used with the .3DS file?

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The CIA is installed into the SD card. You have to put the CIA file in the SD, use BigBlueMenu to install it (takes a very long time), and after that you can delete the CIA file from the SD.
    You need the Gateway card to enter Gateway EMUNAND mode, it works even without a uSD in the GW. You can take out the GW card after entering GATEWAY mode and everything will still work until you turn off your 3DS.
    I think savefiles are not compatible between 3DS version and CIA version, perhaps you can convert them?