Hacking Questions About EZ Flash IV

revron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am considering buying an EZ-Flash IV but I have a few questions to ask before I do that. First off, can I use the link cable if I am playing a ROM with it? I want to be able to buy two and trade Pokemon between two different versions with two GBA's and Two EZ-Flash IV's. Second, is it compatible with the GBA Link Cable for the Gamecube? I want to be able to unlock features in games such as Harvest Moon and I want to be able to transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire to Pokemon Box on the Gamecube. And finally, I want to also be able to use it with the GBA Player for Gamecube (The one that attaches to the base of the Gamecube). Is it compatible with the GBA Player and if so will I be able to trade Pokemon between my GBA with an EZ-Flash and my GBA Player for Gamecube with an EZ-Flash? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An interesting set of questions.

QUOTE said:
First off, can I use the link cable if I am playing a ROM with it? I want to be able to buy two and trade Pokemon between two different versions with two GBA's and Two EZ-Flash IV's.

I can't speak directly about trading with Pokemon, but yes link cable transfers should work provided you don't use the Reset Patch*.

QUOTE said:
Second, is it compatible with the GBA Link Cable for the Gamecube? I want to be able to unlock features in games such as Harvest Moon and I want to be able to transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire to Pokemon Box on the Gamecube.

That heavily depends on how the unlock feature works. Fundamentally, there's two major ways I've seen unlock features work. 1) You start the GBA, holding down Start+Select to put the GBA into multiboot mode by which the other side of the link cable can send a program over the link cable and read the cart/sram/eeprom. This obviously won't work, since the sent program will read the EZ-Flash IV's cart/sram, not the specific game's. 2) There's a game link function in the game menu you can select. Again, provided you don't Reset Patch* the game, this should reasonably function. AFAIK, option (1) is more common, so as a guess I wouldn't presume a randomly given game's unlock features would works. You may be better off, btw, in just SRAM hacking (by d/ling and converting an online saved game) to unlock features; that obviously depends on how concerned you are about not feeling like you're cheating and whether you're planning to continue an existing save.

QUOTE said:
And finally, I want to also be able to use it with the GBA Player for Gamecube (The one that attaches to the base of the Gamecube). Is it compatible with the GBA Player and if so will I be able to trade Pokemon between my GBA with an EZ-Flash and my GBA Player for Gamecube with an EZ-Flash?

Yes, there's nothing particular about the EZ-Flash IV that'd make it incompatible with the GB Player. Such is nice since a GC controller is much nicer to play with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope that helps a bit. Pokemon games are a tricky beast, AFAIK. I haven't played any, though, so I'm only speaking from the number of board postings requesting information. Then again, it could just be people tend to ask first instead of trying to wade through 50 posts to get one answer. I can certainly understand that. Certainly, a lot less people seem to ask such coherent questions.
smile.gif

*The EZ-Flash IV requires games to be patched to save properly. For some games, that's irrelevant since they don't support saves anyways. Regardless, for most games the EZ-Flash IV's patching client also include a Reset Patch. I presume this was added because switching off/on the power is a great way to wear out that switch. In any case, since the reset patch to function has to poll the key input and link communication is rather time critical, the reset patch has a nasty tendency to cause games to act badly during link transfers. Hence, it's best to entirely avoid the reset patch on such games.

revron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot for your help. That cleares up most of my questions/reservations. I'd still be curious to find out if if the gamecube link cable works with the EZ Flash. If anyone has both and can comment, that would be wonderful.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'd still be curious to find out if if the gamecube link cable works with the EZ Flash. If anyone has both and can comment, that would be wonderful.

Well, I know that it can work in the right circumstances (ie, (2) Link transfer in game) as I've done such. The real question is, how does Pokemon do transfers? Is it in game or does it (1) require setting the GBA into multiboot mode (select+start startup)? That should itself answer the question; (2) will work and (1) won't work.

w1ll1am

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried this besides me? I have two Gameboy SPs and two EZflash iV's and I am trying to trade between two different Pokemon Leaf Green games and when I try to talk to the lady at the pokemon center she just sits there and says please wait... or press b to cancel.

I would really love for this to work I can not complete the game without being able to trade.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@w1ll1am

Did you try the suggestion of not using the Reset patch on the Pokemon games? I'm very curious to know if it actually works or not. If it does and you need to trade often, uou could do something like create one folder with the Pokemon game patched with save and reset patches and another folder with the Pokemon game patched with just the save patch; since the saves are stored in the Saver folder and it's keyed to the name, your save would be effectively be shared between the two different copies of the game. Then, it'd just be a matter of launching the one without a reset patch whenever you have a need to trade.

Of course, if it doesn't work at all, I'd be curious to know as well. Some games have features (the Tiny Chao Garden comes to mind) that don't seem to work well, if at all, with the EZ-Flash IV. But most people just stop at the point of it not working with the default settings and not really commenting if there's a work around. So, I'd be really curious to know of your experience so others can find out what works or not instead of my simple conjecturing about things based upon my limited experience on a few games I know that do work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to kuwanger's posts so far. If you want the if at first it does not work then cheat like hell method then http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16541 might be more what you want. Alas I am halfway around the world right now so I can not make any more right now (and I am now sure who, if anyone, passing by will have the gear to do so).

I should probably also mention the migration patches for the DS games although the download page is down when I just checked.

Short version- there have been issues with linking in the past but they can be resolved. http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16541 has a method that might work.

w1ll1am

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 to kuwanger's posts so far. If you want the if at first it does not work then cheat like hell method then http://ezflash.sosuk...hp?f=12&t=16541 might be more what you want. Alas I am halfway around the world right now so I can not make any more right now (and I am now sure who, if anyone, passing by will have the gear to do so).

I should probably also mention the migration patches for the DS games although the download page is down when I just checked.

Short version- there have been issues with linking in the past but they can be resolved. http://ezflash.sosuk...hp?f=12&t=16541 has a method that might work.

I downloaded a new copy of leafGreen from read the rules pl0x and used the IPS patch on it and when I loaded the game to my EZflash and tried to run it I got a message that said the save file has been deleted. So I am assuming that it is not working unless the rom I am downloading is pre-patched but i do not think it is.

I would be really happy if someone could just make a .sav converter from EZflash iV to VBAlink I have searched on Google and can not find anyone that has made it work. It was even mentioned in the links that FAST6191 provided but no one got to it.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 to kuwanger's posts so far. If you want the if at first it does not work then cheat like hell method then http://ezflash.sosuk...hp?f=12&t=16541 might be more what you want. Alas I am halfway around the world right now so I can not make any more right now (and I am now sure who, if anyone, passing by will have the gear to do so).

Short version- there have been issues with linking in the past but they can be resolved. http://ezflash.sosuk...hp?f=12&t=16541 has a method that might work.

I downloaded a new copy of leafGreen from read the rules pl0x and used the IPS patch on it and when I loaded the game to my EZflash and tried to run it I got a message that said the save file has been deleted. So I am assuming that it is not working unless the rom I am downloading is pre-patched but i do not think it is.

I would be really happy if someone could just make a .sav converter from EZflash iV to VBAlink I have searched on Google and can not find anyone that has made it work. It was even mentioned in the links that FAST6191 provided but no one got to it.
you could just import your save and vbalink will convert your save to it's save format

w1ll1am

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I got it figured out. In order to get the save files to work in VBAlink I had to convert it using this website http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php I selected the EZflash iV as the input and No$GBA as the output file. I used the the VBAlink version 1.8 and I could not get the trading to work I kept getting the connection error. I had to use the 1.7 edition to get it to work.

Okay so here are the steps
-first you have to download the .roms you need and the VBAlink 1.7
-next you need to convert the saves you are using
-now start two VBAlink windows and use the rom you want
-import the .sav that you converted
-when you start the game it will say that the save file is corrupt and it will load previous state and it loads your good save file
-in both games go to the pokemon center and when you go to trade you need to make sure that the pause when inactive is not selected
-speak to the lady and you will start into the trading area
-you have to make sure that the pokemon you want to trade are in the same location in your six because you have to move both windows at the same time or the link will break
-after you trade you can in game save and two saves will be created .sa1 and .sa2 they are located in the save location as the .roms I am pretty sure that .sa1 is the one you want put it back on the EZflash and change it to .sav
-when you load the game the same message will appear save file corrupt but the game should load fine and when you save in the game again a new save will overwrite the old one and it will be good to go.

I hope that is understandable lol.

Two problems
1 it is not perfect it takes several tries to get it to work and when you are trying to enter the save room you have to have a certain window selected not sure which one
2 I have only tried this with leaf green and fire red it would not work with fire red every time i loaded the save back on to the EZflash it said save file has been deleted not sure why
leaf green works perfect

if anyone else tries this with other games or figures out how to make fire red work let me know.

hope this helps

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If anyone else wants them, here are the Pokemon GBA (USA) patches I made, to make them work with Pokemon Box GC (USA); https://goo.gl/tMGZ5Y
A similar technique would probably work with other GBA/GC matchups, but as I am like 6 years late to the party there probably isn't any interest anymore.
thanks!
may i suggest to upload into filetrip? it would be really neat if it was there in that central place, i will later use your patches

Voda

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If anyone else wants them, here are the Pokemon GBA (USA) patches I made, to make them work with Pokemon Box GC (USA);
A similar technique would probably work with other GBA/GC matchups, but as I am like 6 years late to the party there probably isn't any interest anymore.

Oh no, there is still much interest in these things, at least from my side. I have spent a bunch of time reading forum posts trying to find someone who manages to connect GBA Pokemon games with GC Pokemon games, only to find that it was stated as impossible. I'm really curious on how you made this work given the restriction on save types. I would be really interested for patches for Pokemon GBA french games with Pokemon Colosseum and Box in french as well. You'd be my hero.

Swordkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone else wants them, here are the Pokemon GBA (USA) patches I made, to make them work with Pokemon Box GC (USA);
Is there any possibility of getting a similar type of patch for Pokemon Colosseum's bonus disc or the shiny zigzagoon disc?

Acru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really curious on how you made this work given the restriction on save types. I would be really interested for patches for Pokemon GBA french games with Pokemon Colosseum and Box in french as well. You'd be my hero.

I don't know if you might see this, as I didn't see your reply before, but here is an answer.

To communicate, the GC sends the GBA some code for it to run, stored as a file on the GC disc. Now usually the program for loading a rom onto a flash cart will do certain modifications to the rom code to make it work right from flash memory, but these patches aren't applied to the downloaded code and the communication fails. The above patches work by ignoring the downloaded code and instead having a local copy of the code, taken from the GC disc, and stored in the unused space on the rom. When the rom is loaded, the proper patches are applied, and the connection succeeds. I did look at the international version of the GC disk, but there was a different version of the code for each language and a patch would need to be made for each. Certainly possible though.

Is there any possibility of getting a similar type of patch for Pokemon Colosseum's bonus disc or the shiny zigzagoon disc?

As to getting special pokemon from certain discs, this may be possible with a patch for either the GBA rom or the GC disc, but it would be far easier to use a save editor to insert them, maybe.

Last edited by Acru,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then