[QUESTION] upgrade to b9s from luma

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by JediAviator, Jun 6, 2017.

1. JediAviator
    OP

JediAviator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Hi all,
    I have recently got my O3ds back from a friend who was borrowing it. I had installed luma a9lh on it before I gave it away. I have seen that there is a new b9s release (1.2) that seems to be popular among most of the threads. Should I update to this (and all my 3ds's) from luma? What are the benefits? Is it possible to still do this even though my homebrew launcher is failing to load? And lastly, can I unban the 3ds with b9s (vs. luma)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    1. Yes you should update.
    2. The benefits are you can update luma (as a9lh is no longer supported), and the new Rosalina menu.
    3. There is a new homebrew launcher for b9s with 100% boot rate and runs much better.
    4. You can already unban by replacing your LFCS (LocalFriendCodeSeed_B) with one from an unbanned 3ds

Last edited by Aletron9000, Jun 6, 2017
    JediAviator likes this.
  3. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    You don't lose luma. B9s just launches luma a different way. In fact, you won't be able to use the latest like releases (such as the fantastic 8.0) unless you update from a9lh to b9s. Also it takes less than 5 minutes.

JediAviator likes this.
  4. LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    The Buvvins
    First off, Yes definitely update it doesn't replace luma as you've stated.It's better than a9lh in every way, slightly faster boots, new luma stuff like loading 3dsx files, and so much other stuff. Follow 3ds.guide on how to update you'll be done in 10 minutes

JediAviator likes this.
  5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Unbanning a 3DS with B9S is no different than unbanning one running A9LH, but if you're using the latest Luma 8.0, it's easier to hide your homebrew by running them as 3dsx files using a legit title id (like the health and safety app, or maybe a game demo or downloaded trailer video.) If you do this in conjunction with wiping your activity log, this can help prevent you from getting banned in the future.

Note that this only hides the fact that you are running homebrew from Nintendo. If Nintendo is doing cross-checks to make sure your games aren't pirated or dumped from a game cart (which we will almost never know with 100% certainty), you could still get banned. Oh yeah and also don't do obviously stupid shit, like cheating online. :P

6. JediAviator
    OP

JediAviator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Ok, thanks guys. I can use the guide from my current 3ds's state to safely upgrade from luma to b9s?

Last edited by JediAviator, Jun 6, 2017
  7. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    yup. https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

JediAviator likes this.
  8. Castona

Castona Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2017
    Canada
    Yes, check the A9LH to B9S section of the guide.