Hardware (Question) Switch price point

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I wanted to ask this if people were noticing a pattern with Nintendo's new releases & basically them dropping down in price.

Can anyone predict when the Switch's price point may drop? Currently its $300 ($500 in some cases or more.) I was wondering if it may drop down to $200 or lower in later months.

I'm kind of going off on how the 3ds did on the market. It was originally priced at $300 and I think when the 3DS became a few months old (3 or 2) it dropped to about $200 I think.

Any thoughts?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
3DS was a flop to being with. It first got successful when it price dropped. As far as I know, it wasn't sold out everywhere at launch.
Of course it will drop in price. How soon? I don't know.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My parents somehow managed to get me & my sister two 3DS's at that time. This was around Christmas by the way when I think it first launched. (Basically $600...)

Nintendo somehow scares me now, its like they want to provide cheap gaming but then they forget and launch everything $200 more than what it's actually worth >:(

I also remember the Wii U was priced at $300 at launch vs Xbox & sony being $400 & $500
so yeah it would probably just take a few months for the price to drop once more units are sent out and sold. I have been noticing not a lot is being sold yet.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait till summer or fall for a proce drop. The first bundles could come later this year near holidays.

Just wait, because you are losing or missing nothing for now :)

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlike the Wii U the Switch isn't being sold at a loss so that gives Nintendo some breathing room on the cost. All the same, if it does well I wouldn't expect a price drop any time this year. Maybe a nice Christmas bundle but a price drop, that depends.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The 3ds was never priced $300. It was $250. And even then, they kinda admitted the pricing was a mistake (and the console was heading towards being a failure), so they lowered that to $200 and gave the people who did buy it for $250 ambassador status.

Anyway, to answer your original question, it's too early. Maybe the earliest would be by Christmas holiday/Black Friday, but I personally think next year

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got burned on the 3ds as well, but figured I'd give the switch a run as well. My one and only gripe is how darn expensive a spare set of joycons are at the moment. Here's to hoping that Nintendo will realize that a lot of people get sticker shock from an 80 dollar spare controller..............

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey so I wanted to ask this if people were noticing a pattern with Nintendo's new releases & basically them dropping down in price.
Not so much a pattern as much as marketing 'rules': price at the maximum profit. Price at what the market will accept. And price to influence user perceptions of the value of the product, which is especially important at launch.

Can anyone predict when the Switch's price point may drop? Currently its $300 ($500 in some cases or more.) I was wondering if it may drop down to $200 or lower in later months.
$469 Australian dollars here (about $357 USD). Probably will see bundles offered first. Then a drop to $250 USD. Can't say when. But I can say this year. There is no chance they can go on offering the slim pickings they are offering now at Christmas time.

I'm kind of going off on how the 3ds did on the market.
Nintendo thought that the 3D gimmick would allow them to price low-grade hardware for a premium price. They were wrong. So they adjusted prices accordingly (extremely easy for them since their hardware was a lot cheaper than the Vita hardware). The less people that buy a Switch, the more likely we see better value sooner. Nintendo's secret weapon - again - is price. If push comes to shove, they will turn on the pricing machinery to compete with Microsoft and Sony - without making hardware losses.

Last edited by foob,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte