ROM Hack Question regarding patched ROMS

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I looked through all the subtopics and wasn't sure where to put it. My question is, is there any quick way to identify whether a rom is patched or not using some kind of program? Because I have lots of ROMs from aaaaallllll the way back to when I had an R4, many of which needed patches, but since the CycloDS can run the original ROM, I want to replace all my patched ROMs as cheats don't work with them, and if i want them to, I have to manually change each gameID in the cheat file everytime theres a new evocheat file released.
Thanks in advance,
-Justing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The simple way (with several flaws) is to see what size the rom is- if it is not a power of two megabytes (16,32,64,128,256......) then it is at least trimmed but few patching methods add the junk back in (ndstool certainly does not).

The real way though is to get a rom manager- there are many out there. As a start http://www.advanscene.com/ plays host to several and has dats with support for many more.

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool thanks!
smile.gif
The problem with me checking the file size is that I trim all my roms so that's not an option for me :S I'm trying to figure out what to download from the website now~ thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies I should have elaborated.

Rom managers, renamers, checkers, listers, verification- pretty much all the same thing (ADVANsCEne uses the term renamer). If you have them all trimmed though it might trip up some managers as that will change the hash.

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ooh okay, I'm already using the RToolDS manager or something, I forgot the name, and its currently scanning all my roms or something. Every single ROM is coming with Unknown : romnameetcetc atm, except for the ONE ROM I didn't trim, so you were right D= kind of a bummer lols. I'll see what happens after the update scan thing and try figure something out =D

EDIT: Okay, from what I've gathered ROMS that I had that were trimmed from before I downloaded this scanner i.e., every single ROM, is not recognized to have a language, region, or genre by RToolDS. I'm wondering if there's any way to restore the ROMS to their original state without re-downloading every single one? And are there any trimmers that don't cause this change to them :L Also, I couldn't find a function in the program that allowed me to perform the initial thing I had in mind, that is, to find out which ones were patched roms haha.

Thanks~

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
I *think* there is one that might reverse patching, but I'm not sure. I've got a few managers installed. Let me see if any has that option....

Edit: There is something in RToolDS that lets you untrim. Perhaps that was what I was thinking of.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately patching and trimming both do the same core thing; modify the ROM. Verification tools are just used to check if a ROM has been modified or if it's clean.

If you want to unpatch/untrim you'll actually need a clean copy of the original ROM anyways to do the comparison (since you didn't keep the patch files, it seems), so you will just be redownloading them.

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh okay =( Thanks! I guess this is a chance for me to clean up some games too, since so many of mine I've barely ever touched haha. The thing is though, if I need an original copy to 'untrim' or 'unpatch,' the original file is there, so then there'd be no need to do that would there? xD. So basically, I can't unpatch or untrim anything right =P since for me, untrimming didn't seem to achieve anything in RToolDS.
Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There were/are a few tools that could check the key sections of a rom and ignore trimming but they are very few and far between and I can not recall names/dat locations.

If true laziness happens one day I will see about making a par2 set for the entire DS rom set but that would take some doing and I am not sure there would be enough call for it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
justing943 said:
The thing is though, if I need an original copy to 'untrim' or 'unpatch,' the original file is there, so then there'd be no need to do that would there? xD. So basically, I can't unpatch or untrim anything right =P
Yup, you'll just need to redownload them to get clean copies.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
That sucks. I feel for you, having to re-download everything.

In the future, try backing up roms before trimming or patching them, and just keep the trimmed roms on your cart. If you use RtoolDS or Rominator you can have them automatically trim them when they are copied.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ROFL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: