Question on the Ackard 2i

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by NBAPwns13, Apr 20, 2011.

Apr 20, 2011

Question on the Ackard 2i by NBAPwns13 at 11:02 PM (713 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. NBAPwns13
    OP

Member NBAPwns13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For some reason the flash cart feels filmsy and weak =/
    when i put my sd card in it looks like the flash cart cover is going to come off

does this happen? because i hate it when it does that and i always have to put my sd card carefully

also is there anyways besides like putting shit in it to make it break? i mean physically?

also i heard the construction is bad ..
    and i think thats for me too!
    the sd card sometimes is hard to pull in and out ...
    thats a cause

also i saw a review on RHS where i bought it and it said that his acekard lasted for a week because the sd card slot wont work
    im think this is going for me. i hope this doesnt happen [​IMG]

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I heard all sorts of nasty things about the AceKard when I bought mine... And then I got.
    Honestly, it didn't feel much 'weaker' than my R4. The plastic is a bit softer I think, but it's still just as sturdy.
    Beyond being a little thinner, and using the paper trick, I haven't had any problems with the build quality of my AceKard2i.

There was an issue with the Spring loader of some/many/most/all AceKards, where using it could cause the spring to come unhooked and get stuck... but maybe that was an issue with it being too tight. My card came with the spring depressed and I used it as a 'friction/tension slot' like the R4 has and it worked fine. Originally when using the spring loader it felt like it was going to put out through the back of the shell, but after a while of staying depressed I think the spring wasn't keeping as high tension and it doesn't feel like it will do that anymore.

3. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    The overall build quality is kinda meh in all of the cards, a lot of the time requiring the paper trick just to get the contacts to match up and connect correctly. It is also the most duplicated cart on the market after the R4 and DSTT (though the DSTT is kind of a clone itself).

Despite all of that, it is nothing short of reliable. I haven't heard of many breaking that weren't doomed early on (ie: within a couple of weeks). This is still easily within the point that RHS will replace the flash cart if there is anything severely wrong with it. They are pretty awesome like that for those in the US, as the turn around time is fantastic compared to shops that ship out of China.

Overall, the flash cart is great, don't doubt your decision. Just avoid taking the entire flash cart out of your DS a whole lot, and you should be set.

4. NBAPwns13
    OP

Member NBAPwns13 GBAtemp Regular

United States

What Paper TRICK?

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/t231412-solving-acekard-contact-issues

The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) in the AceKard is a little bit thinner than other cards, so as the card/DS start to wear it doesn't make as good of a connection which can lead to freezing. The Paper Trick is a solution to this problem.

What I did was I cut a piece of paper to the same width as the space between the teeth on the AceKard, about 7/8ths of an inch, and a little "taller" than 1/4th of an inch (maybe 3/8ths).
    Slip one corner of the paper under the PCB, you may need to use your thumb-/fingernail to pull the plastic down (toward the label), slide it to the edge and push the rest of the paper in length wise.
    Push the paper in til you're comfortable (about 1/4th of an inch), and then with a razor blade trim the remainder of paper off along the PCB.
    This gives the AceKard enough thickness to solve 90% or more of the contact issues and keeps the paper hidden.