Hacking Question Question on new Caffeine/PegaScape/Warmboot etc.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

Ive been out of the loop for quite a while, now everything seems to turn/change :D

First, my switch is an unpatched unit, currently on 6.2 with Atmosphere - 5 fuses burnt (got a clean back up 4.0.0-4.1.0 ==> 5 fuses required).

What I would be interested in is the following:
Can I downgrade to 4.1, clean sysNAND, use Hekate/Pegascape/Caffeine etc. to go from clean 4.1 (without Jig/whatever) into some sort of homebrew Application to boot into an <insert most recent firmware, e.g. 8.1?, here> emuNAND?

Advantages would be clear ==> clean sysNAND, but also latest emuNAND
Disadvantages ==> can any one tell? :D

Thank you in advance,
H
If you are using an app to boot into emunand(pegascape for eg), your Sysnand isnt going to stay clean. Sure you can warmboot, but you can never go online.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If you are using an app to boot into emunand(pegascape for eg), your Sysnand isnt going to stay clean. Sure you can warmboot, but you can never go online.
Pegascape is not an app but a website which triggers the webKit exploit. And of course you can never go online with your SysNAND because then you will get a supernag on your patched console which makes it useless. Also the exploit works currently up to 4.1.0 and was patched on 8.0.x so you can never go online in SysNAND.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://gbatemp.net/threads/battery-drain-w-autorcm-poll-question.509649/#post-8107136
CTCaer said it does.
"

The switch can charge normally the battery, if the BCT is intact!
In RCM AND in hekate menu.
*BCT is the boot configuration table that autoRCM corrupts.

Tests showed that it was charging with the same current, as in Horison OS.
The current it was drawing with 89% battery, was 800mA - 1000mA, using Switch wall adapter. On PC, it was the max the hub could give.

That is specifically talking about charging in hekate and RCM, I never charge my battery in either of those modes.

That thread is also a year old. Are you sure it's still even the case? The battery desync has been fixed since then.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Lacius

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That is specifically talking about charging in hekate and RCM, I never charge my battery in either of those modes.

That thread is also a year old. Are you sure it's still even the case? The battery desync has been fixed since then.
Well i'm on the latest atmosphere and i tested with holding the power button for 15 seconds while having enabled autorcm instead of warmbooting and battery drain was present with just holding the power button for 15 seconds so don't get where you're getting fron that it is fixed

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well i'm on the latest atmosphere and i tested with holding the power button for 15 seconds while having enabled autorcm instead of warmbooting and battery drain was present with just holding the power button for 15 seconds so don't get where you're getting fron that it is fixed

What does holding the power button for 15 seconds do? I've never done that, is it even recommended?

Before you were talking about shutting down, not warm booting. It's kinda hard to have a discussion if you're going to keep randomly changing things

Last edited by smf,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What does holding the power button for 15 seconds do? I've never done that, is it even recommended?

Before you were talking about shutting down, not warm booting. It's kinda hard to have a discussion if you're going to keep randomly changing things
I did not say that. I said one of the disadvantages you have compared to warmboot is that your switch doesn't properly turn off by using the power button when in autorcm mode. I did not randomly change anything. Let me copy my old comment :
'' Autorcm does drain battery when not properly shut off. Using an rcm jig will eventually wear down the pins after years constantly scraping against it. In that regard warmboot takes a tiny bit longer to start but no pins will degrade plus you don't have to worry about properly shutting off ''
Where did i change my statement ???

Meriadoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What do you mean by "when using the power button?" Because using the power button to bring up the power menu and selecting shutdown is exactly what was fixed in atmosphere ages ago.
Oh my gosh really? I always reboot to payload and poweroff from hekate. If i poweroff from atmosphere are you sure that the switch properl shut off nowadays?

Meriadoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Most of us (people who use auto rcm) boot through a computer or a device that is unmovable. And or has a phone that doesn't work with sending payloads. And your autorcm solution fails to also address ipatched switches
Nope, you only need an android phone and a cable (that can stay in the switch case). And the majority of people have android and not iphone. So most people use a perfectly movable device to boot the switch. No point for me to use this new method..

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/battery-drain-w-autorcm-poll-question.509649/#post-8107136
CTCaer said it does.
"

The switch can charge normally the battery, if the BCT is intact!
In RCM AND in hekate menu.
*BCT is the boot configuration table that autoRCM corrupts.

Tests showed that it was charging with the same current, as in Horison OS.
The current it was drawing with 89% battery, was 800mA - 1000mA, using Switch wall adapter. On PC, it was the max the hub could give.

------------------------------------

The switch cannot charge normally with a corrupt BCT (AutoRCM).
In hekate, it shows similar behavior (read below).

Extra emphasis on the "normally".

With autoRCM, basically a corrupt BCT, the switch behaves differently.
There are 2 behaviors that I saw when connecting to the switch wall charger:
  • Common - It was draining 140-250mA.
  • Common (in hekate) - 200mA - 400mA
  • Rare (normally if you connect charger after powering off from HOS) - Drain of alternating 250mA and 1000mA, with surges of 2.5A."
Huh. Mine acts the same with and without autorcm /shrug

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AutoRCM is relatively safe. With AutoRCM installed, the Switch charges 100% normally in Horizon, but it might not charge as quickly in RCM if AutoRCM is installed. If a Switch with AutoRCM dies, it is still recoverable (contrary to popular belief). If a Switch is put into sleep mode and docked whenever it's not being used, one is unlikely to run into any problems.

D

Deleted User

Nope, you only need an android phone and a cable (that can stay in the switch case). And the majority of people have android and not iphone. So most people use a perfectly movable device to boot the switch. No point for me to use this new method..
What?! I'm not talking about that. You have not been around for very long then. This isn't a new method of using a computer to boot, this was the first method made, which started on linux and then got ported over to windows. Furthermore in regards to android, it has problems, primarily consistency across devices. As since android is a modified linux, and linux has a data send limit over usb 2.0. Some devices require to be rooted to install a special patch to get around that or aka, can't send payloads. Glad it works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited by ,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't a new method of using a computer to boot, this was the first method made, which started on linux and then got ported over to windows.

Right, I can't stand Linux & I didn't have any USB-C cables. So I bought an atmosphere-nx, the battery in that thing is phenomenal & it was super cheap. It's much more convenient than using a computer or phone or caffeine.

I did not say that. I said one of the disadvantages you have compared to warmboot is that your switch doesn't properly turn off by using the power button when in autorcm mode. I did not randomly change anything. Let me copy my old comment :
'' Autorcm does drain battery when not properly shut off. Using an rcm jig will eventually wear down the pins after years constantly scraping against it. In that regard warmboot takes a tiny bit longer to start but no pins will degrade plus you don't have to worry about properly shutting off ''
Where did i change my statement ???

Here:

"Well i'm on the latest atmosphere and i tested with holding the power button for 15 seconds while having enabled autorcm instead of warmbooting and battery drain was present with just holding the power button for 15 seconds so don't get where you're getting fron that it is fixed"

How does your "so don't get where you're getting fron that it is fixed" statement make any sense, if we were discussing something else entirely.

So your argument fails there for autorcm.

I didn't make an argument for autorcm, I made an argument for autorcm + dongle. Your anectodes about using a computer are irrelevant to my argument.

You are likely one of few who bought a dongle. Most of us (people who use auto rcm) boot through a computer or a device that is unmovable. And or has a phone that doesn't work with sending payloads.

Or I can just as easily make up statistics as well and say that most of us are using a dongle. There are people who have fitted chips to deliver payloads internally as well.

And your autorcm solution fails to also address ipatched switches

I never claimed otherwise, I'd recommend not using an ipatched switch but if you insist then of course you're stuck with the inconvenience of caffeine.

Last edited by smf,

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe back to topic - can I use EmuMMC on my internal Switch Memory?
I want to have my Switch as autark as possible

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there actually a warm boot solution that is completely offline possible? I am on FW 1.0.0 with my console and would be uncomfortable having to go online with it.

Last edited by Muxi,

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there actually a warm boot solution that is completely offline possible? I am on FW 1.0.0 with my console and would be uncomfortable having to go online with it.
you could use their git repo to put it on an internal network. not technically online if its using the intranet rather than the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EqY4iZP4iI?si=SnXrNV8JyKnbrp9j