Question of Legality

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sznaps, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009

Question of Legality by sznaps at 8:03 PM (3,959 Views / 0 Likes) 40 replies

1. sznaps
    OP

Newcomer sznaps Advanced Member

United States
    All these apps/downgraders/loaders including opening.bnr and files like that (excluding ios's and pirated wads and such) are they legal to host? There's no legality issue as to the code in the programs being copyrighted by ninty or anything like that right?

Reason I ask is I have about 10,000gb in available bandwidth between 3 racks in texas. I could throw up a site to use for hosting the apps, just wondering if it would actually get used, and if it's legal.

2. icefireicefire

Member icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    They are all illegal, just GBATemp has a stupid policy of letting SOME stuff in.

3. sznaps
    OP

United States
    Hm, gunna check if it's against the TOS in my datacenter.

4. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    make it how xbox homebrew is, theres a channel on irc called #Xbins anyone can join chat and use a special command , the bot will then send a username / password for the FTP host which has all the homebrew on it.
    hides it from the noobs online [​IMG]

5. icefireicefire

Member icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    no, really, ALL custom channels are illegal except for bbc.wad and one other one that only I have.

6. sznaps
    OP

United States
    I remeber xbins from original xbox, they had that setup good. Wouldn't be too difficult, just again, not looking to get myself into trouble. I just feel like it sucks to download off these stupid hosting sites with like 100kb speeds, when we could be hosting stuff on much better places. Especially if it was in a place where it wasn't OPENLY available but people could get access...

Might be able to get it over seas...(i'm in U.S.) testing datacenter connections see if i can find one with good speed.

7. sznaps
    OP

United States
    Another point, I understand they are illegal, but do people really get in trouble for hosting them? (obviously no IOS)

8. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Personally I would think Nintendo would spend their legal resources going after hardcopy pirates (the guys that sell pressed pirated copies of Wii games) in the Asian market, or others who make profit off of piracy, instead of going after those who made an unauthorized Wii channels or distribute common-key.bin.

Just my two cents. [​IMG]

9. sznaps
    OP

United States
    That what they could think, we don't know that. Do you know of anyone that has gotten in trouble? I feel they'd probably just ask for it to be taken off. I'm asking my providor, they say yes, i'm going to start working on a setup. That way, i can just say they said i could host it.

10. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I don't know of anyone that has gotten in trouble, it would be interesting to know if anyone has ever gotten in any kind of trouble from Nintendo for hosting their copyrighted material.

I'm sure if you did set up a site like that and Nintendo's legal team came after you, the worst you would get is a DMCA takedown notice and be required to comply. I wouldn't think they'd file charges, but then I'm not a lawyer so take it with a grain of salt.

Bottom line is, so long as you're not hosting a server to download Wii ISO's (which obviously isn't your intent based on your original post), you should be fine in my non-lawerly opinion. [​IMG]

11. sznaps
    OP

United States
    Well i appreciate your input. Getting a box moved to an Irc approved switch, since the datacenter doesn't allow IRC on there whole network. (DDOS REASONS) Going to get to work, obviously got to make a website, any ideas? i'm thinking wii-repo.com like wii repository...

12. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    HOST!!! PLEASE HOST!!! That would be sooo great!! I can't f'n stand "Maximum 10 downloads" just not fair.

13. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    wii-repo.com is alright.. just trying to think of other names too

How about wii-db.com? Like wii-database

Or wii-apps.com?

Or wii-mii.com? Like "wii me up" [​IMG]

Heheh just brainstorming [​IMG]

14. sznaps
    OP

United States
    I like wii-db. Wii-apps is kinda too obvious.

15. sznaps
    OP

United States
    Here's my plan: I will have XDCC bot on IRC to get the files, as well as FTP access. Trying to find out which IRC server to set it up on, probably same as most of the other channels. I'm a really bad web designer but i can code php, anyone wanna make me a website?

16. sznaps
    OP

United States
    Looks like wii-apps.com and wii-db.com is taken. Looks like wii-repo.com it is. Got the domain working on getting everything going, just need a design :-(

17. BeyondRamo

Newcomer BeyondRamo Newbie

United States
  18. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the world is a big place with many different legal views - just host stuff in asia.
    tailand for example.

or maybe the floating host off hong-kong harbour, or sealand.

19. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    One word: Mediafire.

20. nicman000

Newcomer nicman000 Advanced Member

Australia
    EDIT: Ergh, double post