Hacking Question of Legality

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would be interested in designing a website.
However, I'm new to the web design "scene" and probably wouldn't churn out something too good.

In about 20 minutes I'm going to have 30 minutes free time. I'll think up some ideas.
Also, any preferences as to what you would like?
What kind of server is it?
What does it support? (e.g. PHP 4/5)

Can do:
- HTML
- CSS
- Some PHP
- Little MySQL
- Graphics

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, Php 4/5, mysql, ruby rails, cgi, all that stuff...

The point is to avoid places like mediafire, filled with adds and stuff...

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any ideas to what kind of site you want?
Link to a website that looks similar to what you want?
I'm busy for the rest of the week, I don't think I'm going to have much free time.
Although I can check this thread in the morning, or send me a PM or something.

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really sure...Join up efnet #wiirepo i got a dcc bot running and i'm working on the FTP server, just working on setting up the channel since it's going to be the main source. I don't think i want to have direct links to the files on the website...it's just going to represent the site, and I will also allow developers to have subdomains with trackers so they can host a project site. Any coders/developers send me a PM, i really want to get this going.

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
edge: if that were true, they wouldn't block the TW Hack.

@all: wadder.net has a nice WAD Upload/download section under Downloads in the top nav bar, and I'm making a wii Channel Browser that will work with that..

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they blocked it since it's a way into a system locked out with an $8000 devkit price tag that developers paid for.

Unauthorized code is unauthorized code to nintendo, it was just marcan getting bent out of shape that they were blocking homebrew first but without homebrew you couldn't install cIOS or wads so a person like myself on the middle ground can see all points of view and understand it isn't them picking favorites, it was just an easy fix for them software-wise. They aren't going to design a RSA secured system then leave a door propped open in their code once someone discovers it, and to think a coproration would make that kind of mistake is totally ridiculous.

They block out modchips too, it's just that the distributers are getting better at making firmware update workaroundss so while you have noobs crying that they lost all their pirated wads and channels with a system update, the modchip users have no one to cry to but themselves if they updated and failed to update their modchip as well.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
sznaps said:
hm, thinking maybe i shouldn't be even messing with this? think it's pointless?
There would definitely be a need for this. Good stable content hosts, with good bandwidth, aren't common to the Wii-scene as is today.

All USB loader channels are mostly legit, with the slight exception to the 00000000.app-file (i.e. opening.bnr), and possibly gamecovers.

However, since the covers are posted all over the web, not only on sites for the use of USB loaders, but also on a shitload of normal cover sites and also all web shops and the such, you're unlikely to find trouble for this.

Opening.bnr does contain probably copyrighted material, but since it contains no proper custom game code, but a generic "intro type" animation for System Menu, I highly doubt that anyone will bother. It would be nothing worse than putting a ripped out intro from a game on youtube ...

EDIT
Of course the covers aren't part of hosting channels, but I was referring to hosting USB loader related material in general.

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a test file, i'm testing out a network to see if it's any good, post your download speeds!

Right click save as this file, it's just a movie.

Here

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Server is in chicago...it's on a unmetered line with 100mbit i don't expect extreme speeds but i'm just hoping it's decent...looking around for something better...

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea.
smile.gif

Also i was getting about a 900KB to 1 MB download speeds though Firefox.

If your looking to just host files would it be possible to just create something similar to Xbins similar to what the IXtreme firmware is from, if there able to host that i don't see why someone cant host apps and stuff for the wii. if legal action is taken they will prob only make you take the site down.

having a website open to the public is likely to get in trouble though.

giraffeblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a great idea, and i hope you follow through with it. It would mainly be for us Tempers, correct? With threads getting to be upwards of 70-150 pages, it really sucks going through every page to find a download like from rapidshit or mediafire to get the latest build of a USB loader, wad, channel, whatever.

I am not sure that I would name it wiisoftware.com or whatever, not because of the questionable legal nature of these programs, but because you might get some 14 year old kid screw up his wii by misusing a wad creator or something and blame you. I'd name it grandmasdiapers.com or something that's not going to pop up on google's first page when searching for wii hacking, but is still easy to remember and get to.

You could have an interface that would would make it easy to get to the latest cios, ios's, everything that we use and need access to, and to the latest builds of the projects that we're working on and the tools that we need to do them. I think that someplace like that, if done right, could foster the development of some yet undeveloped software that we need (nds emulator!) and might even help restore some sense of order to these forums.

Just my 2cents, I will be having lots of free time (easy semester) and will do anything I can to help.

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest issue right now is how to deliever the software without having legal issues. I figure right now it's gunna be private FTP and DCC of irc. IRC is getting to the point where's it's almost functional, join #wiirepo on efnet.

The website is going to be more of a directory of the actual files and what releases and such. News about new releases pure wii. I'm trying to get as many developers of any kind together to help me with getting the server filled with there releases. all and any revisions and different releases, all the version so if someone likes a particular version. Also this is using private ftp and dcc which isn't 100% user friendly, that way to restrict people from just getting it. If you know how to use DCC u can use wad manager.

Idle #wiirepo, wii-repo.com is the site, any help is greatly appreciated!

donnyp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i average about 1.1Mb a sec. So its pretty quick.

Sznaps, you happen to have AIM? I have a few ideas I could run by you.

Ben.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd be interested in making a web design.
I know:
HTML,
CSS,
PHP,
Bit of Javascript,
Not too bad at graphics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I went to a garage sell last saturday, and the lady had a PS2 for sale, but she had a sign on it...