Hacking Question about updating OFW to 9.0.1 and running CFW

tjace144

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have searched reddit and this forum and cannot find a clear answer. I would like to find out exactly what is needed before I continue. Sorry if I am asking something that has been asked before.

My switch is unpached. Official firmware and EmuMMC are both on 8.1.0, and I have updated Atmosphere to 0.9.4. I would like to get both OFW and CFW on 9.0.1, but I dont want to lose the ability to run game cards in both OFW and CFW.

Should I update OFW first, then boot into CFW and run ChoiDujourNX to update CFW to 9.0.1? Or should I update CFW first, then update OFW? Do I need to enable the NoGC fix in atmosphere to run game cards if they are both on 9.0.1?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
If you don't mind burning fuses, then you could first upgrade your OFW and then add the CFW.
If for some reason you would like to maintain the ability to downgrade to 8.1.0, then you first have to install the CFW with EmuMMC.
Even if you upgrade to 9.0.1 on your EmuMMC, you will always have the ability to go back to 8.1.0.
The dilemma is the usage of cards.
When you upgrade to 9.0.1, it will burn some other fuse related to accessing the cards.
By default, CFW prevents this from happening, with the disadvantage that you can't use any cards.
Advantage is that you will be able to downgrade to 8.1.0 and use your cards again.
Once you burn those special card fuses by enabling the NoGC fix, you can go back to 8.1.0 but you will never be able to use cards again with that firmware again.

Reactions: Ryser

tjace144

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind burning fuses, then you could first upgrade your OFW and then add the CFW.
If for some reason you would like to maintain the ability to downgrade to 8.1.0, then you first have to install the CFW with EmuMMC.
Even if you upgrade to 9.0.1 on your EmuMMC, you will always have the ability to go back to 8.1.0.
The dilemma is the usage of cards.
When you upgrade to 9.0.1, it will burn some other fuse related to accessing the cards.
By default, CFW prevents this from happening, with the disadvantage that you can't use any cards.
Advantage is that you will be able to downgrade to 8.1.0 and use your cards again.
Once you burn those special card fuses by enabling the NoGC fix, you can go back to 8.1.0 but you will never be able to use cards again with that firmware again.

Thank you for that info. I really appreciate it. Now, I personally see no reason I would ever want to downgrade. It seems I have waited long to see that homebrew works on 9.0.1.

So, if I upgrade OFW first, I can boot into CFW after and use ChoidujourNX to upgrade my CFW to 9.0.1, right? And I will still be able to use game cards in both? I just want to make sure I am doing everything 100% correct as I would rather not have to backtrack/mess anything up.

Thank you again for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ❄️ 😡 ❄️