Question about Switch performance and dynamic resolution scaling?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by unvaluablespace, Jan 31, 2018.

1. unvaluablespace
    OP

unvaluablespace Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Once the Switch gets hacked to a good enough degree, do you guys think it will be possible for hackers to adjust the clock speed on the Switch, since apparently its essentially the same hardware as a Shield with has a higher clockrate? Or is that something thats hard-coded? If so, would scaling the clock back up allow games that use dynamic resolution scaling to start performing better, and/or scale resolution back up?

I wouldn't mind losing an extra hour of battery life if certain games just overall looked better while playing, and would be nice to get that extra bump to 1080 in games like zelda or whatever when played in docked mode.

2. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Probably with enough effort. There's probably a reason for it to be underclocked though (some have had their switches bend, probably due to heat).

Last edited by Uumas, Jan 31, 2018
  3. Rauliki

Rauliki GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2016
    Poland
    Underclocking for emulation could be great option too

4. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    What about underdocking? Discuss.

5. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    I don't think heat is the problem, my Switch never gets too hot : I still can play in handheld mode witthout really noticing the heat, even after 2+ hours docked on a heavy game.

6. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official lewd axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Sure! If you want a melted piece of plastic of course..

7. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    I don't know how hot your Switch gets, but mine is never more than warm. Overclocking will just drain a lot more of battery when playing in handheld mode, but I don't see any inconvenient in docked mode.

8. unvaluablespace
    OP

unvaluablespace Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Well, to be fair, my post isn't actually referring to overclocking the Switch, but rather just clocking it back up to what it's supposedly capable of. Apparently the Shield TV can go up too 1ghz, whereas the Switch is 738mhz docked, but 300mhz undocked (sorry if my numbers aren't correct), so id be curious if performance would improve if they were clocked back up (at least to stock numbers, assuming the chips ARE the same)

Now actually overclocking past whatever the chip is supposed to be capable of stock, that's probably another beast....

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I believe those are GPU clocks? Oo

10. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    It would still represent a problem. They are underclocked for a reason... Overclocking it to stock clock rates on undocked mode wouldnt be that much of course, but on handheld mode not only the battery will drain significally faster, but also it will overheat a lot.

And also, there are a lot, and i mean a lot of people whose switch have started to bent, they had also to send it back to nintnendo for a fix. There was a thread about it arround here where users claimed the same.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yup. He wants to overclock the gpu to increase the games resolution or improve the perfomance if it help. Althought i believe you would have to overclock the cpu too if you want better perfomance overall.

Memoir likes this.
  11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    That's what I was thinking.. Hm.. Still. I wonder if we'll see enough of a performance gain for the trade off to be worth it.

12. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Wont be worth it in the long run. The switch is fine as it is. It isnt the most powerful hardware of the three, but it is enough for nintendo.

GSFanatic and Memoir like this.
  13. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    If you've ever opened up a Switch you can see why they had to underclock so much. I'm sure they were smart enough to leave a little headroom but personally I wouldn't dare turn it up any higher.

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    With Switchs supposedly bending as it is, then be prepared to welcome the homebrew enabled Nintendo Switch Boomerang™.

15. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Not how emulation works

Heat is not a problem, even at docked clocks it's okay

16. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Heat is not a problem for the silicon, but it is for the rest of the materials.
    Supposedly it is the little heat it produces what makes the metal plate expand and causes the warm plastic to bend.

17. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    Mine is still fine, so I don't mind 10°C more on this metal plate. If my Switch breaks, well, that's only my fault. But I'd really like to have the option

18. reds

reds Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2018
    Poland
    I think that Rauliki thought about underclocking to save some battery life when the raw power is not needed. Just using less CPU/GPU would leave more battery life, but underclocking may give you better results.

jRRRRRRRRRRR, Tumoche and Rauliki like this.
  19. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Well, emulation will take as much power as it needs (since there's an FPS cap), I doubt underclocking would change power usage.

Undervolting would be more interesting...

20. reds

reds Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2018
    Poland
    Underclocking usually also comes with a possibility to undervolt, and that was what I thought that might give better results.