Hacking Question about Switch performance and dynamic resolution scaling?

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
None of the consoles Nintendo have released thus far have attempted what they have attempted with this console i.e. trying to retain the same graphical prowess of a home console, on-the-go. One drawback of this is heat and it's dispersal and when things get warm inside a device, unless there is something rigid to retain the shape, warping can happen. As some have mentioned on other forums, the majority of smartphones and tablets contain glass screens which stops this happening as they give it a rigidity, but Nintendo have opted for plastic. It sounds like there is something in the middle which is trying to retain the shape but failing miserably which is why the ones that have bent, have bent there. Whether it's from prolonged play, prolonged dock play... who knows. But it sounds very much like a bad design choice and Nintendo have released various models of their consoles throughout their lifetimes, whether it be internal or external.

The bending is due to the really stupid design of the dock, the dock is a big plastic box that serves as an insulator, it has no airflow and it traps heat,

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The bending is due to the really stupid design of the dock, the dock is a big plastic box that serves as an insulator, it has no airflow and it traps heat,

Heat rises and the exhaust ports are on the top of the switch, so how is the dock trapping heat and responsible for bending?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country

This has been debunked as not being the reason. Admittedly some people found that their docks were not 100% straight but it still doesn't explain why the bend happens at the midway point of the console. Someone disassembled one and found some type of metal frame at the halfway point that conducts heat transfer which seems to make more sense. That said, in the dock, it's going to be running more heat because of the higher output so it certainly won't be helping matters.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heat rises and the exhaust ports are on the top of the switch, so how is the dock trapping heat and responsible for bending?

For the same reason a PC has ventilation holes If you filed the dock with flowing cold water like what water cooling does you will get rid of it, but feel free to feel the plastic dock after a 4 to 8 hours of gaming.
This has been debunked as not being the reason. Admittedly some people found that their docks were not 100% straight but it still doesn't explain why the bend happens at the midway point of the console. Someone disassembled one and found some type of metal frame at the halfway point that conducts heat transfer which seems to make more sense. That said, in the dock, it's going to be running more heat because of the higher output so it certainly won't be helping matters.

What you are saying is laughable without a reference to the article at best when you are overclocking on the PC things like plastic housing to encapsulate the usb ports and the rest of IO is sometimes seen with fan to get rid of the heat even tho there is plenty of cooling all over the motherboard or elsewhere in the case it still traps heat.

The same goes for the dock length and height wise it is not cooled nor is there any airflow and the structure gets warm.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
For the same reason a PC has ventilation holes If you filed the dock with flowing cold water like what water cooling does you will get rid of it, but feel free to feel the plastic dock after a 4 to 8 hours of gaming.

What you are saying is laughable without a reference to the article at best when you are overclocking on the PC things like plastic housing to encapsulate the usb ports and the rest of IO is sometimes seen with fan to get rid of the heat even tho there is plenty of cooling all over the motherboard or elsewhere in the case it still traps heat.

The same goes for the dock length and height wise it is not cooled nor is there any airflow and the structure gets warm.

Wtf, lol... I'm not even going to entertain this because trying to explain to you what you clearly don't understand would be way too much effort. But I've built dozens of PCs and the switch is no multi-cooled PC, ridiculous. I don't know whether to laugh or sigh at that. As for the comment, it was weeks back, I don't have it to hand. But you could search google for it if you have the time and you will eventually come across it on Reddit.

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once the Switch gets hacked to a good enough degree, do you guys think it will be possible for hackers to adjust the clock speed on the Switch, since apparently its essentially the same hardware as a Shield with has a higher clockrate? Or is that something thats hard-coded? If so, would scaling the clock back up allow games that use dynamic resolution scaling to start performing better, and/or scale resolution back up?

I wouldn't mind losing an extra hour of battery life if certain games just overall looked better while playing, and would be nice to get that extra bump to 1080 in games like zelda or whatever when played in docked mode.

is this true? i thought the docked mode was already in 1080.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would still represent a problem. They are underclocked for a reason... Overclocking it to stock clock rates on undocked mode wouldnt be that much of course, but on handheld mode not only the battery will drain significally faster, but also it will overheat a lot.

And also, there are a lot, and i mean a lot of people whose switch have started to bent, they had also to send it back to nintnendo for a fix. There was a thread about it arround here where users claimed the same.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup. He wants to overclock the gpu to increase the games resolution or improve the perfomance if it help. Althought i believe you would have to overclock the cpu too if you want better perfomance overall.
by a lot, i think you meant one or two people who put them too close to their boilers. you might be thinking about those folks whose docks were bent because of reasons, and scratched their screens?

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't think that the heat is causing the units to being. There has to be another factor we're not accounting for. The melting point of the plastic is fairly high, but even low heat over time should degrade it like how we're seeing, especially with the metal bracket put into place to help with this. There was a video of a guy who talked about this too. I'll see if I can't find it.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wtf, lol... I'm not even going to entertain this because trying to explain to you what you clearly don't understand would be way too much effort. But I've built dozens of PCs and the switch is no multi-cooled PC, ridiculous. I don't know whether to laugh or sigh at that. As for the comment, it was weeks back, I don't have it to hand. But you could search google for it if you have the time and you will eventually come across it on Reddit.

Explain it to me how many pc did you built with 2 empty shells next to it so only heat escapes from the top only ?

The laws of how heat dissipates does not change but sadly the structure is close to both front and back end , that you have trouble understanding this is not my problem .

Maybe you should take what I said seriously and leave reddit for what it is ...

Odd this appears then since there is no reason for it to begin with.

and this

Last edited by Athlon-pv,

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The guy in the second video clearly says "Not like the Switch has an overheating problem", because it doesn't.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Explain it to me how many pc did you built with 2 empty shells next to it so only heat escapes from the top only ?

The laws of how heat dissipates does not change but sadly the structure is close to both front and back end , that you have trouble understanding this is not my problem .

Maybe you should take what I said seriously and leave reddit for what it is ...

Odd this appears then since there is no reason for it to begin with.

and this

As I stated previously, it's simply too much effort explaining all of it to you, but I did point you in the right direction. You would also benefit from reading about passive vs active cooling and the differences in how much heat is actually dissipated. Then off of the back of that, read up about thermal conductivity and the materials used.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn that's hotter than I thought, so on the die it self is probably around 95C°?

I hope when they hack the switch they could read the sensor temps on the die it self.

If I get mine when they hack it, I will change thermal compound right away, add copper metal everywhere inside and do a few more cooling mods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1