Question about Switch performance and dynamic resolution scaling?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by unvaluablespace, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    It's fun to be illogical.

2. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Tell that to the Vulcans.

3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Too soon.

Ewpb and Jonna like this.
  4. Athlon-pv

Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 25, 2005
    United States
    The bending is due to the really stupid design of the dock, the dock is a big plastic box that serves as an insulator, it has no airflow and it traps heat,

5. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    Heat rises and the exhaust ports are on the top of the switch, so how is the dock trapping heat and responsible for bending?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2016
    This has been debunked as not being the reason. Admittedly some people found that their docks were not 100% straight but it still doesn't explain why the bend happens at the midway point of the console. Someone disassembled one and found some type of metal frame at the halfway point that conducts heat transfer which seems to make more sense. That said, in the dock, it's going to be running more heat because of the higher output so it certainly won't be helping matters.

7. Athlon-pv

Feb 25, 2005
    United States
    For the same reason a PC has ventilation holes If you filed the dock with flowing cold water like what water cooling does you will get rid of it, but feel free to feel the plastic dock after a 4 to 8 hours of gaming.
    What you are saying is laughable without a reference to the article at best when you are overclocking on the PC things like plastic housing to encapsulate the usb ports and the rest of IO is sometimes seen with fan to get rid of the heat even tho there is plenty of cooling all over the motherboard or elsewhere in the case it still traps heat.

The same goes for the dock length and height wise it is not cooled nor is there any airflow and the structure gets warm.

8. GunzOfNavarone

Aug 16, 2016
    Wtf, lol... I'm not even going to entertain this because trying to explain to you what you clearly don't understand would be way too much effort. But I've built dozens of PCs and the switch is no multi-cooled PC, ridiculous. I don't know whether to laugh or sigh at that. As for the comment, it was weeks back, I don't have it to hand. But you could search google for it if you have the time and you will eventually come across it on Reddit.

9. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Just wait for the USB-C Switch expansion pack

10. machinoman

machinoman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    is this true? i thought the docked mode was already in 1080.

11. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Usually it's 900p

12. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    by a lot, i think you meant one or two people who put them too close to their boilers. you might be thinking about those folks whose docks were bent because of reasons, and scratched their screens?

13. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I honestly don't think that the heat is causing the units to being. There has to be another factor we're not accounting for. The melting point of the plastic is fairly high, but even low heat over time should degrade it like how we're seeing, especially with the metal bracket put into place to help with this. There was a video of a guy who talked about this too. I'll see if I can't find it.

14. Athlon-pv

Feb 25, 2005
    United States
    Explain it to me how many pc did you built with 2 empty shells next to it so only heat escapes from the top only ?

The laws of how heat dissipates does not change but sadly the structure is close to both front and back end , that you have trouble understanding this is not my problem .

Maybe you should take what I said seriously and leave reddit for what it is ...

Odd this appears then since there is no reason for it to begin with.

and this

Last edited by Athlon-pv, Feb 7, 2018
  15. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    The guy in the second video clearly says "Not like the Switch has an overheating problem", because it doesn't.

16. GunzOfNavarone

Aug 16, 2016
    As I stated previously, it's simply too much effort explaining all of it to you, but I did point you in the right direction. You would also benefit from reading about passive vs active cooling and the differences in how much heat is actually dissipated. Then off of the back of that, read up about thermal conductivity and the materials used.

17. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Damn that's hotter than I thought, so on the die it self is probably around 95C°?

I hope when they hack the switch they could read the sensor temps on the die it self.

If I get mine when they hack it, I will change thermal compound right away, add copper metal everywhere inside and do a few more cooling mods.

18. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    cause U live in France, now is 31ºC here in the jungle, baby

19. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    Well, I hope an overclock option only on French Switches !

GilgameshArcher and Uumas like this.
  20. Rauliki

Rauliki GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2016
    Poland
    There is no 'French Switch' as the XAJ series is used in Japan nad Europe.

guily6669 and GilgameshArcher like this.