Hacking Question about Switch performance and dynamic resolution scaling?

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once the Switch gets hacked to a good enough degree, do you guys think it will be possible for hackers to adjust the clock speed on the Switch, since apparently its essentially the same hardware as a Shield with has a higher clockrate? Or is that something thats hard-coded? If so, would scaling the clock back up allow games that use dynamic resolution scaling to start performing better, and/or scale resolution back up?

I wouldn't mind losing an extra hour of battery life if certain games just overall looked better while playing, and would be nice to get that extra bump to 1080 in games like zelda or whatever when played in docked mode.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Probably with enough effort. There's probably a reason for it to be underclocked though (some have had their switches bend, probably due to heat).

Last edited by Uumas,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I don't think heat is the problem, my Switch never gets too hot : I still can play in handheld mode witthout really noticing the heat, even after 2+ hours docked on a heavy game.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I don't know how hot your Switch gets, but mine is never more than warm. Overclocking will just drain a lot more of battery when playing in handheld mode, but I don't see any inconvenient in docked mode.

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how hot your Switch gets, but mine is never more than warm. Overclocking will just drain a lot more of battery when playing in handheld mode, but I don't see any inconvenient in docked mode.

Well, to be fair, my post isn't actually referring to overclocking the Switch, but rather just clocking it back up to what it's supposedly capable of. Apparently the Shield TV can go up too 1ghz, whereas the Switch is 738mhz docked, but 300mhz undocked (sorry if my numbers aren't correct), so id be curious if performance would improve if they were clocked back up (at least to stock numbers, assuming the chips ARE the same)

Now actually overclocking past whatever the chip is supposed to be capable of stock, that's probably another beast....

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, my post isn't actually referring to overclocking the Switch, but rather just clocking it back up to what it's supposedly capable of. Apparently the Shield TV can go up too 1ghz, whereas the Switch is 738mhz docked, but 300mhz undocked (sorry if my numbers aren't correct), so id be curious if performance would improve if they were clocked back up (at least to stock numbers, assuming the chips ARE the same)

Now actually overclocking past whatever the chip is supposed to be capable of stock, that's probably another beast....
I believe those are GPU clocks? Oo

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It would still represent a problem. They are underclocked for a reason... Overclocking it to stock clock rates on undocked mode wouldnt be that much of course, but on handheld mode not only the battery will drain significally faster, but also it will overheat a lot.

And also, there are a lot, and i mean a lot of people whose switch have started to bent, they had also to send it back to nintnendo for a fix. There was a thread about it arround here where users claimed the same.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe those are GPU clocks? Oo
Yup. He wants to overclock the gpu to increase the games resolution or improve the perfomance if it help. Althought i believe you would have to overclock the cpu too if you want better perfomance overall.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It would still represent a problem. They are underclocked for a reason... Overclocking it to stock clock rates on undocked mode wouldnt be that much of course, but on handheld mode not only the battery will drain significally faster, but also it will overheat a lot.

And also, there are a lot, and i mean a lot of people whose switch have started to bent, they had also to send it back to nintnendo for a fix. There was a thread about it arround here where users claimed the same.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup. He wants to overclock the gpu to increase the games resolution or improve the perfomance if it help. Althought i believe you would have to overclock the cpu too if you want better perfomance overall.
That's what I was thinking.. Hm.. Still. I wonder if we'll see enough of a performance gain for the trade off to be worth it.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you've ever opened up a Switch you can see why they had to underclock so much. I'm sure they were smart enough to leave a little headroom but personally I wouldn't dare turn it up any higher.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Mine is still fine, so I don't mind 10°C more on this metal plate. If my Switch breaks, well, that's only my fault. But I'd really like to have the option

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think that Rauliki thought about underclocking to save some battery life when the raw power is not needed. Just using less CPU/GPU would leave more battery life, but underclocking may give you better results.

Well, emulation will take as much power as it needs (since there's an FPS cap), I doubt underclocking would change power usage.

Undervolting would be more interesting...

reds

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sakamoto.pl
XP
Country
Poland
Well, emulation will take as much power as it needs (since there's an FPS cap), I doubt underclocking would change power usage.

Undervolting would be more interesting...

Underclocking usually also comes with a possibility to undervolt, and that was what I thought that might give better results.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?