Homebrew Question about PKSM

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've used PKHex in the past and would like to try using PKSM now. I haven't used PKHex in quite some time, but I remembered that you used to have to have a save manager program installed on THL to export/import your saves. I want to try both PKHex and PKSM with multiple Pokemon games (spanning Gens IV through VII), to see which one I prefer using. My question is, does PKSM have a built-in save export/import option, or do I need to install a dedicated one (for use with PKHex) in addition to PKSM?

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PKSM DOES have a Built-in save export/import option...

It can also allow you to create a PKMN "Bank" which is saved to a file on the SD Card.

Where within PKSM do I go to initiate a save export/import? And where do the save files get placed on the SD Card? Are these files locked in any way to use PKSM exclusively or can I copy them to my PC to edit in PKHex?

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Where within PKSM do I go to initiate a save export/import? And where do the save files get placed on the SD Card? Are these files locked in any way to use PKSM exclusively or can I copy them to my PC to edit in PKHex?
Its better if you use JKSM to export saves. I only use PKSM for quick edits

Reactions: TonsofPuppies

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

I don't remember HOW you can export saves, but I know it can do it automatically (Quick exploration through the app may help).
The Automatic Save Data is saved at "/3ds/data/PKSM/backup/[GAME_DATE]/main", while Extra Save Data is saved at "/3ds/data/PKSM/bank/bank_[DATE].bak"

You can refer to the Official PKSM Github for anymore questions about PKSM.

Other then that, I'd recommend using JKSM for backing up/restoring save data.

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its better if you use JKSM to export saves. I only use PKSM for quick edits

I don't remember HOW you can export saves, but I know it can do it automatically (Quick exploration through the app may help).
The Automatic Save Data is saved at "/3ds/data/PKSM/backup/[GAME_DATE]/main", while Extra Save Data is saved at "/3ds/data/PKSM/bank/bank_[DATE].bak"

You can refer to the Official PKSM Github for anymore questions about PKSM.

Other then that, I'd recommend using JKSM for backing up/restoring save data.

Yeah, I figured this would probably be best. Plus the added utility of not being just restricted to Pokemon games for save export/imports. Is there a CIA file for JKSM so I can install it right to my home screen? I noticed that JKSM hasn't be updated in quite some time.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I figured this would probably be best. Plus the added utility of not being just restricted to Pokemon games for save export/imports. Is there a CIA file for JKSM so I can install it right to my home screen? I noticed that JKSM hasn't be updated in quite some time.
Yes there is a CIA

UltraArceus3

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is a CIA version of JKSM (Hell, even i have it).
Just Download the ZIP.

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes there is a CIA

Yes, there is a CIA version of JKSM (Hell, even i have it).
Just Download the ZIP.

Okay, I will do that then. I assume it's the same process as when I did the initial CFW installation. Drop CIA files into the "cias" folder on the root of the SD card, launch FBI, SD ---> cias ---> "current directory" ---> "install and delete CIAs". Is this correct?

Reactions: UltraArceus3

UltraArceus3

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I will do that then. I assume it's the same process as when I did the initial CFW installation. Drop CIA files into the "cias" folder on the root of the SD card, launch FBI, SD ---> cias ---> "current directory" ---> "install and delete CIAs". Is this correct?

Yep, basically. the "CIA" format is an Official Nintendo Installation Format.
If a file is a CIA, it's an installable 3DS program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty thats great to hear you had fun at the water park