Hacking Question about patching iOS 80

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm running into the "failed to launch" error when trying to run a few of my VC/WiiWare games from the SD card. I have read in this thread that I need to patch iOS80 in order to fix this. Using ModMii I was able to get the file titled 'IOS80v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP-DIP]).wad'. I have MultiMod Manager and I'm not sure how to install this now. Do I just use MMM to install it like a regular wad or do I need to do something regarding iOS236? I usually install my wad files using iOS 249 as the default iOS58 never works. I'm not sure what iOS236 is.

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I found a little info on this and successfully patched it. I'm going to post how I did it here for posterity since I had trouble finding this info.

1. Download and run NUSDownloader.
2. Go to Database --> iOS --> iOS80 --> v6944.
3. Check the box at the bottom that says "Patch iOS".
4. In the box that pops up, check the box that says "Trucha bug" and click OK.
5. Click the disk icon that indicates "Save As..." and type a name for the WAD, then click OK.
6. Click on "Start NUS Download!".
7. Two files will be generated, the original WAD and the patched WAD. Copy the WAD with ".patched" in the name to your SD card.
8. Open a WAD manager from the Homebrew Channel. I used Multi-Mod Manager (Commonly referred to as MMM).
9. The default iOS for MMM is always iOS58. WADs never install for me when this is selected. I switched it to 249 as I do for everything. It may be different for you, I don't know.
10. Select "WAD Manager" from MMM or whatever the equivalent is in your WAD Manager app.
11. Browse to the patched iOS80 WAD located on your SD card and install it as you would any other WAD.

Done. Now all VC/WiiWare games can be moved to the SD card and run as they should.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Man you did things the hard way. Just use modmii's wizard instead of manually doing all that. But hey, there's something to be said to learning things on your own and I respect that.

Btw installing IOS80v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP-DIP]).wad from modmii has all 4 patches. I'm not sure if NUS downloader will do all 4. That being said I'm not sure if it matters

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man you did things the hard way. Just use modmii's wizard instead of manually doing all that. But hey, there's something to be said to learning things on your own and I respect that.

Btw installing IOS80v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP-DIP]).wad from modmii has all 4 patches. I'm not sure if NUS downloader will do all 4. That being said I'm not sure if it matters

I actually started out using the ModMii wizard (which definitely would've been easier) but the post I found on patching the iOS80 with ModMii was old and I found a more recent Reddit post from about 4 months ago where someone used NUSDownloader. Again, the instructions were pretty vague (like Use NUSDownloader to patch iOS80), but I figured I'd better go with the more recent post since I have no idea what I'm doing. I actually had that exact WAD file on my drive and was on the brink of installing it haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1