Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I had a customer that had been using what I assume was OpenWii on an atmel chip that stopped working for him after having it work for nearly three months. I ended up taking it out and replacing it with yaosm just because I don't have the necessary hardware for that kind of chip but I was wondering what could cause it to stop functioning after working for so long.

One thing that I noticed is that whoever did the install before did not install the resistors that I see in all the schematics for OpenWii. Could the lack of these resistors caused an eventual breakdown of the chip or was it something else random? Anyone know?

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The resister doesn't matter.

If you reflash the chip, it should work with no problems. There is apparently a bug in the openwii code that can occasionally corrupt the flash. Reflashing it fixes it.

INTERNETS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you reflash the chip, it should work with no problems. There is apparently a bug in the openwii code that can occasionally corrupt the flash. Reflashing it fixes it.

When the EEPROM corrupts, it's also possible to correct that by swapping out a GameCube disc and resetting the region settings from the Setup Disc.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

OK, well, like I said I don't have the flashing hardware for that kind of chip, so I just used yaosm, which I have handy.

I wondered about the region settings getting borked, as that can happen with some other chips I thought, but without knowing for sure it wasn't all that hard to just put a new chip in.

By the way, whoever did the previous chip didn't use that extra pad that WiiKey uses, I thought OpenWii was supposed to use that point, but I must be wrong.

ceevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had a customer that had been using what I assume was OpenWii on an atmel chip that stopped working for him after having it work for nearly three months.
Did you figure out what caused the openwii to fail? I browsed the openwii forums and saw that maybe its a bug when running gcos discs (like the setup disc). The region setting in the eeprom gets overwritten with an invalid value.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I had a customer that had been using what I assume was OpenWii on an atmel chip that stopped working for him after having it work for nearly three months.
Did you figure out what caused the openwii to fail? I browsed the openwii forums and saw that maybe its a bug when running gcos discs (like the setup disc). The region setting in the eeprom gets overwritten with an invalid value.

Never bothered to figure it out. I just installed a yaosm chip and called it good. I don't follow OpenWii so I didn't really care, I just wanted to get the guy back up and running again.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've had openwii stop working after awhile also, reflashing it fixes it though. havnt had a single problem with openwii on pic12f629/75 yet though

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This also happened to my openwii. Reflashing the chip fixed the problem.

I tried the gamecube swap method to get the setup disc booting but it didn't work.

There's a patched version on the openwii forums that offers some protection over region corruption - this is the version I reflashed my chip with and it's been running fine ever since.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks