ROM Hack Question about modifying DS Download Station

SoulK90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I downloaded DS Download Station 1. And it's nice, but i want to modify it. I started DSLazy and i opened the Download Station Rom. I unpacked it. I found the place of the demo's. They're named like AGFEDemo . I tried to replace this with a DS Rom. I copied a game which i renamed to AGFEDemo.nds . I compiled it, and when i try to load it, it hangs on 0,00% with loading that rom. I tried it again, and i renamed the game to just AGFEDemo .
I still get the same problem. I think that these files are DS Roms too, but they're editted. I still didn't find the way to let my games work. Now i looked in the other folders. I found a file called sign.bat . I think this app modifies a game to let it work with DS Download Station. Does anybody tested this or is it impossible to edit the DS Download Station ?
I also found the file which contains the name of the rom. I didn't found the icon of the game.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
are you trying to send a full game rom?
if so: that's your problem.
a download station game only has 4MB to:
1. save the entire rom on
2. run the download play system on
and 3. use as RAM
that means any game above 4MB would fail anyway.
and the only games below 4MB are demo's in download station roms, and LOL trimmed(i think)

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
There are actually a couple of other DS ROMs which trim to under 4MB, both Game & Watch Collection games do (1MB and 2MB, respectively) and Matchstick: Puzzle by DS is 2MB trimmed. I'm sure there's more, but I'm not going to run around trimming ROMs to find out. Your second problem is that demos in the DS Download Station are compressed, so you'll need a compressor. I believe others have edited the Download Station before and switched out ROMs, so there should be one around somewhere. Your third problem is that the DS performs RSA checks on content being sent over Download Play; if the client DS doesn't have FlashMe installed, this entire process will have been a waste of time.

EDIT: I was totally wrong about switching out ROMs, previous hacking has involved replacing the loader which lists available demos, not replacing the demos themselves. The latter has been done, but not with an openly released compressor. Chishm made a decompression tool, and included the source, so you could always code your own compressor using that. Good luck.

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
There are actually a couple of other DS ROMs which trim to under 4MB, both Game & Watch Collection games do (1MB and 2MB, respectively) and Matchstick: Puzzle by DS is 2MB trimmed.
but all this games contain data in rom that read by game during execution. potentially only games what has empty 'data' and 'overlay' folders after unpacking them by dslazy may used by dowload station.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Good point, I should have thought of that. Just tested out Game & Watch Collection, and it whitescreens on my FlashMe'd DS. Looks like sending full games over DS Download Station is a dead end.

It should still be possible to customise a Download Station by adding homebrew games, as long as they're self-contained (no DLDI required, unless you can fit an FCSR image into 4MB) or by switching demos from various Stations to make a set of favourite demos.

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
or by switching demos from various Stations to make a set of favourite demos.
some ds and wii games also contain demos. for example wii geometry wars.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IF you just want to send files ds to ds then use DS2DS but be prepared for a long wait to complete as transfers are painfully slow ..... moreso with a big game 100mb+
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?